collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible scammer on ebay selling lots of G1 MOCs  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Possible scammer on ebay selling lots of G1 MOCs
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:58:38 AM »
First of all I want to say that this is not a confirmed scammer, but I wanted to advise everyone since my transaction with this seller is becoming suspicious, and this person has more pony listings.  I bought a lot of G1 MOCs from the ebay seller yo61yo.  I tried to pay a few times within a 12 hour period, but ebay would not let me proceed to Paypal since the seller had not added the shipping costs.  I kindly let the seller know that I tried to pay but shipping was not yet added.  The seller responded several hours later with this message:

No I am sorry to say that as of Saturday the 27th paypal decided to close my account as it it linked to my sons (has he same address). So they only way I can accept payment is by moneyorder, if you don't want to purchase the ponies that way I will understand, please let me know of your decision.

I spoke to two ebay reps about paying via money order and they both strongly discouraged it, since there is no proof that payment was received and no way to file a claim if the item is not sent.  I replied to the seller letting them know my concerns, and asked if they would consider opening another Paypal account so I could pay the way ebay suggested.  Over a day went by with no response, so I sent one more message letting them know I was still interested in the ponies and asking them if they could let me know of any updates.  That was about 12 hours ago and still no response. 

Take caution if you are bidding on an item from this seller, as this person is NOT updating the auctions to say that they no longer accept Paypal.  This is a new seller and the lot I bought cost me a pretty penny, and it is suspicious that he/she wants me to pay outside of ebay. 

Has anyone else encountered an issue with this seller?   :huh:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Possible scammer on ebay selling lots of G1 MOCs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
I believe sellers on ebay have to accept paypal.  This definitely sounds like scam. I'm so sorry you didn't get your Moc pony!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
That was a pretty good amount for that lot and I am currently watching a couple of the ones they listed more recently. Thank you for the heads up on this, I will now have to reconsider bidding. :(
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
Good thing your scammer senses are on, Brightglow, because that's definitely suspicious.

My mom and I both have separate paypal accounts, and we both live at the same address. Paypal has NEVER had an issue with either of us being at the same address. My dad could open up an account tomorrow and they shouldn't have an issue with it. So yeah, that sounds way off.

That username sounds vaguely familiar...I wonder...
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
Hubby and I have separate accounts, same address.  something fishy...

Anyone check for stolen photos?  Several different backgrounds.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:16:00 AM by rybett »
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Brightglowpony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I finally got a reply from the seller, but once again, it makes no sense to me:

yes, i cant have a paypal account at this time they told me money orders i understand ur concer and apoligize,  if u have any other suggestions im open otherwise im sorry.
Wishlist

Offline apanda0622

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I finally got a reply from the seller, but once again, it makes no sense to me:

yes, i cant have a paypal account at this time they told me money orders i understand ur concer and apoligize,  if u have any other suggestions im open otherwise im sorry.

You should message the seller back and told her that you spoke to ebay twice and they strongly oppose the use of money orders and is actually against ebay's policy.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
What about all those folks bidding on her current auctions? She needs to update those auctions so folks know she has no paypal and need to pay by MO. Technically it's a bait and switch due to the fact these people think that they will be paying via paypal.

Offline Brightglowpony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Apanda:  Thanks for the info, I did not realize that was against ebay's policy.  I found where ebay states that what the seller is doing is against their policy. 

"Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option in their eBay listings (either via logos or through text in the item description) must accept card funded payments...Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they only accept account balance or bank account funded payments, or will not accept card funded payments."

In case anyone is interested in reading the whole bit, here is the link from which the above info was taken:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/paypal-payments.html

Hawaiian Rain: That is my concern too, and I mentioned this to the ebay rep this morning.  To my disappointment, I was told not to worry about the other auctions, and if someone buys from the seller and has a problem, they can contact ebay.  My personal thoughts are, why put other buyers through this same ordeal when it can be avoided?  Based on the first message I received from the seller, it is my understanding that they knew their Paypal account was "closed" before I bid on their auction, and I would have appreciated the update because I would have not bid and would not be going through this hassle now. 
Wishlist

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
Sounds fishy to me...hopefully no one falls for it :satisfied:

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
My guess is that she saw how much PP and ebay were taking out and nixed the paypal payments.

Offline apanda0622

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
I thought I would contact the seller, who has auctions ending soon, just to check out her story:

Dear yo61yo, Do accept paypal payments by e-check (transfer from checking - takes about 3-4 days to process) ?- dizzydaisygirl

Dear dizzydaisygirl,No pay pal has limited my account and I can only accept payment via money order- yo61yo

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
What!? I should have known something was up. I just bought a lot from her. So she doesn't accept PayPal? So what's going to happen?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
Wow- sounds fishy indeed.  I wondered about that auction when it came up...  thank goodness sellers are no longer able to require payment by money order.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
So lame. I was really hoping to bid on a couple of their auctions, too. So, have they not realized that they cannot request a money order from someone? Especially since all of their auctions list Paypal as the only payment method...
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal