collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dreamvalley closed?!  (Read 13535 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: Dreamvalley closed?!
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »
Well I still can catch it on the Wayback machine. I still feel sad that it will be missed. I remember that it was the first webpage I went to about my little ponies. That is what started my collecting. I understand why they may want to take it down though I hope someone can save it. :/

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
This floored me just now as it was a great G1 source. I also saw that Great ponies is gone also. Now THAT site I will miss even more....the accessory ID was amazing. I'm glad I printed those checklists now!
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »
This floored me just now as it was a great G1 source. I also saw that Great ponies is gone also. Now THAT site I will miss even more....the accessory ID was amazing. I'm glad I printed those checklists now!

Oh, I didn't know that was gone, too.  :(

I guess some of the older g1 collectors are just moving on from collecting. 
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2016, 10:20:07 PM »
This is so sad like many others have said. It is/was my go to site for g1 ponies when I couldn't remember certain ponies names like the sister pose  ponies or the twins. I learned so much from that site before actually making accounts in the pony community when I decided I was going to activly start collecting instead of just having a few here and there. I started with the G3 ponies when I came across them in target and got some just for memories sake. It wasn't until a friend I made who was/is a member here told me about the community and that I could buy G1's again. I only had maybe three growing up but was so shocked that there was such a big community and that I could buy older ponies. Such a happy day lol. Well I hope everything is ok with her and I wish her the best. Thank you Kimberly! Your site will be missed!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2016, 01:23:53 AM »
Oh i will miss this. Its what got me back into collecting.  Sad days but on wards and upwards for the host :)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
Oh, no! So sad :( That was my go to page when I began collecting, still was when I needed  some fast ID-ing. How unfortunate she couldn't keep it up and running any more.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 02:50:14 AM »
Not greatponies too!!! No!!!! How am I ever going to find accessory info again!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2016, 03:38:45 AM »
I was thinking of the two sites mentioned.  DV may have some info/pics of g1 that others don't but only g1.  It's sadly lacking in terms of anything after.

So yes, there might be an argument for it being most comprehensive for g1.  But not for the entirety of My Little Pony.

Dream Valley has not been the most comprehensive source for G1 information for about 15 years. Lavonia's site used to be that, but sadly that's long since gone to its death. I don't know her reasons, as I wasn't in the community when she took the decision, but Kim actively removed a lot of stuff from her site about non-US ponies and accessories, so she knew she wasn't trying to be the most comprehensive G1 resource. She had her chosen focus, and she stuck to it. Sadly, since then she has not been around, so that's how it's mostly stayed. It's actually a miracle in a sense that she's kept it going this long. I think she also removed the information she had on G2. I have printed pages from DV from 1998 that include G2 information. A lot of what I printed out back then has not been on the website for a very long time. So DV wasn't trying to be comprehensive. It was trying to be specific.

The Reef and Wiki are trying to compile information on everything. Variants. Nirvana. All generations. That's hard to do. There are going to be gaps and errors when you take on that kind of a task. But, between them and the information we pool in places like this and the TP, those gaps are largely covered. I imagine the litters information didn't need to be somewhere else while it was on DV. Now it is bound to appear somewhere else...problem solved.

DV should be remembered for what it was - the first site about MLP, the first point of call for many of us years back, when there was so little to cling onto. A lot of the things that I remember fondly from the distant pony past have died a death. The old TP (x2), Dream Castle, the chatrooms, at least three mailing lists and, I think, a newsgroup or two. A lot has changed but then, when I stop and realise that we're talking about almost 20 years, the real surprise is that DV has been there this long when Kim has not been actively involved in the community or in updating the site for ages.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
Well I still can catch it on the Wayback machine. I still feel sad that it will be missed. I remember that it was the first webpage I went to about my little ponies. That is what started my collecting. I understand why they may want to take it down though I hope someone can save it. :/

Does the Wayback machine keep the site archived permanently? Or will it vanish after a while?

Thought I'd post a link to Wayback machine as I'd never heard of it before.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160307162430/http://kimsites.net/dreamvalley/index.html

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2016, 05:31:26 PM »
The Wayback Machine is forever, as far as I can tell. I've read websites from the 90s that have long since died (or drastically changed) using it multiple times. But I'd still suggest anyone who's concerned about losing specific info either screenshot the pages, copy and paste the info elsewhere to save it (Word, Notepad, Google Docs, etc), or print it out just to be safe.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
as far as I can tell, the only time Wayback Machine takes down anything *permanently* is if whoever owns the domain puts up a robots.txt, which basically tells WM not to archive the info. (This usually isn't a problem, but it can happen if the site's domain name expires and someone re-buys it and puts up a robots.txt) I have noticed pages disappearing and reappearing off there randomly though, idk what's up with that...

but yeah, in general if the Wayback Machine has it, it'll be on there forever, but I'd always recommend saving a copy yourself if it's something you wouldn't want to lose, cause you never know what could happen, y'know? Better to be safe than sorry, and all that.

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
This is really sad news :( Like many others, Dream Valley was also the first website I used to ID ponies, and I remember meeting Kim at a pony meet about ten years ago.  She was so nice!

It will be missed :heart:

Oh, I didn't know that was gone, too.  :(

I guess some of the older g1 collectors are just moving on from collecting. 

I didn't know that either!  It was my favorite accessory ID site.  :(

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
 :cry: End of an era

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 01:13:45 AM »
I'm new and never knew this site.  Now I'm sad.

Thanks Chrissytree for the link to its archive...I had a peek and in a minute learned more than I knew about My Pretty Pony...at one point was released together with a Butterscotch, does that make Butterscotch the first My Little Pony then?

Does anyone have an archive link to the other ones mentioned in this thread as having moved on?

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:29 AM »
What was the other major id site that used to be? I used both of them so much. Miss them both!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal