collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I vent for a moment please?  (Read 12387 times)

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Can I vent for a moment please?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
I'm finding this hugely frustrating too! Not only that but the descriptions are misleading too!

I have bought so many ponies recently described as mint, beautiful, no visible flaws, bright white , which when they arrive have clearly visible problems that are even glaringly obvious to non-collectors!

Very grumpy E-buyer at the moment!

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
i saw an auction for some VERRRRYYYYY baity g3's with pen marks and really tangled and matted hair, and the listing said their condition was "good"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
As a seller I find it sort of worrying - I usually put everything up at 99p so I don't have to pay insertion fees and because I'm not selling any really rare ponies but a couple of quite common ponies I've sold ended up in bids for around £20 when I only bought them for £3ish max. a year ago! O_o

I always try and describe *everything* too and these were both flawed and had photos of the flaws but it didn't seem to deter people. Crazy! But on the flip side of that, g3s are worth nothing and it's kind of sad to see MIB ponies selling for half of what they would have cost when they were in stores!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
I agree!! D: I'm trying to complete my MIB G3 collection, which can take time since only some were available in stores near me at the time they were coming out. I have sooo many to catch up on, and while being still common in MIB, eBay is totally a rip off right now!! I have refused to shop there unless they are collectors (or fellow members from this site) who know their stuff.

On that note, I have also seen pretty trashy G3 ponies starting at $5.99 (marks, haircut, etc.). Seriously, that would probably be $.50 tops as bait. >.<

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
I have bought so many ponies recently described as mint, beautiful, no visible flaws, bright white , which when they arrive have clearly visible problems that are even glaringly obvious to non-collectors!

Me too! A pony is not mint if it has a big yellow highlighter mark on its shoulder  >_<

And I agree that people are nuts with pricing on eBay right now. It's so silly, there's one seller with ridiculous prices, no one buys, and when the auctions expire the seller immediately re-lists them at the same absurd prices.

And some common MOC G2's are up for over $300+ lol!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
As a seller I find it sort of worrying - I usually put everything up at 99p so I don't have to pay insertion fees and because I'm not selling any really rare ponies but a couple of quite common ponies I've sold ended up in bids for around £20 when I only bought them for £3ish max. a year ago! O_o

lol you're making that kind of profit and you're worrying? I would be happy! XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »
I tried to win a G3 Dream Drifter that was in pretty bad shape. She ended up selling for $41!! I'm glad I lost that one, because I found her MIB for $10 a few weeks later. Maybe people are just so caught up in bidding, they can't stand to be outbid. I was like that once when ebay was new.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
and thats why i dont buy from ebay anymore.

not only the prices are outrageous, but some sellers leave out important details... like i got a princess serena and baby moondancer from this one seller, and they reeked of cigarettes, and the August heat didnt help with that -_-

the prices on the arena are much better anyway! and since all the sellers are collectors they know what details to include in descriptions for the ponies condition.
YAY for the arena!
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
I only go to eBay when a pony I want isn't for sale here. And that's only if the price is right!

...Although, I did pay $8 shipping for one pony, but I got her for $1 and I really, really wanted her. >_>

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
I ll certainly agree that I have never seen prices at such radical ends of the scale...there are ponies ending in price at much much lower than I have seen before and likewise there are some much much higher than before. If everything was high I would agree with the pony surge due to FiM but the low prices suggest that isnt the case - so I honestly just dont what the reason is at the moment.

However sometimes I think as collectors we underestimate pony prices...sometimes I see or even participate in price checks and I know the prices we are saying are 20% lower than they pony would probably go for on ebay - so are we as collectors right on pricing or are we just wishing those were the prices? ;)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

However sometimes I think as collectors we underestimate pony prices...sometimes I see or even participate in price checks and I know the prices we are saying are 20% lower than they pony would probably go for on ebay - so are we as collectors right on pricing or are we just wishing those were the prices? ;)

This is actually a really good (hypothetical) question! After all, the prices are completely driven by the people, mostly collectors, and I don´t really believe we can talk about the objective price of a pony - only about what someone is willing to pay for it.

i´m not on Ebay, but I have just seen a person offer ~50$ (I am NOT kidding) for a bunch of fakies and G3s in a bad condition (less than 20 ponies all in all) on a local add site. For whatever reason, people are going crazy over ponies. I will just say that I am REALLY happy I know about the arena and I know that I can get the ponies much cheaper, but it´s obvious many people don't :P

I just wish I weren't so protective of my ponies, wanting them to go to collectors, otherwise I would have made loads of money off of clueless locals.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
I usually only use ebay if I can't find it here and I'm desperate for it - or if it's a really good price.  Even then, I give myself a price limit and try to stick to it.  :)

People get so caught up in to being outbid that they end up overpaying and I'll admit I've done that before.  But then I end up feeling badly about it later so I try not to get so caught up in it.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
I think this is also because some international collectors dont really have much choice, I know with several of my ponies I have not been able to find a seller with cheaper pricing who is willing to ship outside the USA and have had to pay the over inflated prices on ebay and really pricey shipping.

I just take it as a given now :P

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
I have to giggle a bit when they put "RARE My Little Pony SUNDANCE!!" and hope to get $50 for her lol
My Wish List

Offline Starbright

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
I plan on sticking with Arena buying in the future! I've bought off ebay but the high shipping costs are killer. They overcharge like whoa.
Collecting G1 and G3 since 2005  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal