collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Freelancing?  (Read 231 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Freelancing?
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »
So a month or two ago, I quit my job. I had a job as a marketing director, but I was 30, and I wanted to start making my own way. I had all these ideas for nonfiction ebooks and had made a good bit of money freelancing already, so I took the leap. I love it so far! I'm a freelance writer. I write web copy, press releases, blog posts, articles, and ebooks for hire. I set my own hours, work in my pajamas and I've got some great contracts. I use online services so the money takes a couple weeks to clear, but other than that, I'm super happy! 

I was just wondering if anyone else is a freelancer, if so what kind? Do you have any tips?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
Re: Freelancing?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:23 AM »
My bread and butter used to be freelance professional audio. Usually recording mixing and mastering work, but I'd also do location audio. I also sort of haphazardly do photography freelance? I do a lot of concert photography, and I get a decent amount of my shots licensed. So, I'm familiar with being freelance.

Contracts are important, go to a lawyer or legal zoom to have an airtight contract made up.

No matter how much you want it, someone wants it more than you. And no matter how good you are, there's someone better than you. If you fall behind in either category, you'll be left to languish by the wayside.

Be confident and know what you're worth. Don't do spec work, no one takes people who do spec work seriously. I've done spec work, but only after I just moved to a new area and needed some clout with the local scene.

No one cares about you. That sounds crass, but it's true. When you're first starting, no one cares about you. You're on your own, and if you want chances, you have to make them, no one's going to give them to you. You have to knock on every door, and if that door opens even the slightest you gotta make the best impression you can. Everyone thinks they're a writer, so you've got a lot of competition. If you don't have the clout to make people care about you, there's someone out there who's willing to do it for free. You gotta convince people that you're worth paying for.

Pay your self employment taxes. That's important. Keep a log of incoming income and pay your self employment taxes. And don't be shy about business expenses. Do you write? With a computer? Buy a $330 graphics card, write it off as 'computer upgrades'! I've done that, I've probably shouldn't, but meh.

Freelance work in a creative field is tough. We've cultivated a society in which everyone is a special creative snowflake flower, and I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but most 'photographers', and 'writers' out there aren't photographers or writers. They got a like on facebook or deviantart and decided they're going to be that creative dainty snowflake. Most of those people aren't very good, but it's the infinite monkey theorem, y'know? If you have enough people working for free, eventually one of them will, by chance, produce some good work. When people seeking those sorts of services have that pool to cull from, they're going to.

Your competition isn't other people so much as it is people who know they can pay nothing and get something acceptable. You gotta make yourself so good those cheapasses who don't want to pay for this sort of work want to pay you for it. The signal to noise ratio is huge, it's going to take a lot of talent, a lot of clout, and a lot of networking to make it happen.

Also, networking, that last bit, by far the most important. You can be the best in the world at what you do, but if you don't know anyone, you're screwed. Make contacts, lots of them. Shake every hand you can. Go to every local meet related to your field that you can. Get on good with local people in your field so they can defer work to you. A good network is more important than a good skillset.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:25:50 AM »
No advice but best of luck!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the all the advice! I'm married to a lawyer, so my contracts are covered. The beauty of the way I work is that I bid on some projects but most people choose my service when its listed on a website. I'm not actively seeking out clients yet.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal