collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why collect old used/worn ponies?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
Why collect old used/worn ponies?
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
I had a kid come in wanting to see what kind of ponies I had and to look at the double I had offered her, and she spotted my G1s and some of the ones that are not in the 'collector condition' as she called it. Simply  told her I take in any condition as long as  they're not having major issues - as in, missing an entire leg  or something. I have a slugger that has a bit of his hoof missing but it doesn't bother me lol.

so...... yeah...my random post for the day i guess  I like to take in ponies no matter what they're condition is as long as they're truly not extremely baity i can live with a paint spot or a hair cut lol how bout you guys?
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: Why collect old used/worn ponies?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
The main reason I'm fine with ponies with "issues" is that I love restoring. If I put a lot of work into making a pony beautiful again, its spot on the shelf is all the more meaningful. <3
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Wadatsumi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
i also love restoring them. must always give my newest tlc  ;)
plus as long as they are mine, i love them no matter what issues they have - that makes them just unique  :)

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Depending on price I may take in a pony that is missing a leg but has a great head or tail. If I can put 3 ponies together and get 1 nice one out of it it makes perfect sense! I can't see throwing a G1 out if it has atleast 1 good part.  It only makes sense to save as many as you can.  :satisfied:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »
The main reason I'm fine with ponies with "issues" is that I love restoring. If I put a lot of work into making a pony beautiful again, its spot on the shelf is all the more meaningful. <3
yeah! I have no  talent for restoring -glares at merry treats- XD so i generally leave them as is after a vigorous cleaning
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Gogobinsin

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
I'm getting more confident with fixing bigger problems with ponies, it seems every pony I get has something more challenging to deal with. One of my most recent G1 purchases: Cherries Jubilee has virtually no mane, it has nearly all been cut off :( Apart from that after removing some marks and paint from her legs and body she's in great condition! As soon as I can get some hair to match I'm going to have a go at my first re hair (mane anyway). I'd love to be able to fix ponies with missing ears or other body parts though..maybe some day. For now though I can cope with ponies with removable marks on their bodies, haircuts, bad hair do's and other minor issues :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
I collect baity G1s on purpose. Partially because I like certain things better "baity" (i.e. with many G1 poses, I prefer them to be tailless), partially because I just plain love baity ponies for some reason, and partially to save tiny-bit-less-than-minty G1s from being destroyed by customizers (I'm all for G1 customs, I own three, but I am not NOT okay with them being made from repairable G1s). I can't do restorations (and generally don't want to do more than basic cleaning), so my ponies remain in their well-loved state.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
Hardly any antique or vintage item should be in great condition after years of being around. It has to have a real patina or it might as well be new. Repainting and restoring real older items often ruins their value. I collect G1s because I like G1s best, so I have to accept that there aren't to many 30 year old ponies that are in brand new shape. If she just wants shiny new things that just came from the store so be it. She'll just be buying the same items the rest of society can go out an buy at the same time. Nothing unique about her then.

The fact of the matter is if somebody can't appreciate things and people who aren't perfect then I feel very sorry for them. They're going to have a lot of disappointment in their life.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
And because they are prettier than used comic books that sit in a plastic envelope in a box.  (cough, husband).
:socks:   :frog:

Binny

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
A baity pony is better than no pony. XD Ponies with issues admittedly bother me, but I have to say if I were in a thrift store and saw a G1 with problems I'd still snatch it up, though I wouldn't trade for one.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
I don't mind a pony with some issue; to me it just means it's been played with and "loved.". I certainly don't expect most 30 year old toys to be pristine.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »
I have a 'rehab shelf', a.k.a the cripple shelf.. It's where all my really damaged ponies live. I've got ones with deformed legs, chew marks, holes, mane buzz-cuts... I actually collect a lot of rare ponies that way because their  value plummets due to the damage! Overall it means I get the pony that I would like, with some loveable character.

I quite like restoration work, I don't care much for full body repaints and the like. At best I'll redo missing bits of mane and make sure the pony isn't full of rust/mould.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
My ponies get a big clean-up and then if their hair is repairable, I'll give it a go. I don't do rehairs, or sculpts or the like, mostly because I'm useless, but partly because I'd rather a pony be beautiful for who she is... her scars are just like mine - experiences in life that mean something and create personality. Perfection is boring!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
I don't mind a pony with some issue; to me it just means it's been played with and "loved.". I certainly don't expect most 30 year old toys to be pristine.  :)

Definitely have to agree - all my ponies have character because of their flaws!  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
The minty ponies I don't even touch most of the times except to dust or display. The flawed ones I am in ways more OK with because then I don't feel scared to play with them (I'm like a kid, lols), carry them around, show people, etc. I spend more time this way with the lesser condition ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal