collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm engaged!! Could I possible alter my aunt's old dress?  (Read 735 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I'm engaged!! Could I possible alter my aunt's old dress?
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
Long time no post, but while I've been gone I've gotten engaged!! And I’m so excited, today I went to my grandma’s and she pulled out both my mom and aunt’s old wedding gowns! My mom had the idea that I might be able to wear one of them if I wished so I just wanted to see what they even looked like. My mom’s is very extravagent, so it won’t be able to be altered much so I think I’ll probably pass, but my aunt’s is much more simpler and I was shocked when I put it on at how well it actually fit (seeing as it’s over 40 years old).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This dress is super special. My aunt passed away a few years ago and she was like my second mother. She had no children and no one else in my family who would really be able to wear this dress. I’m basically allowed to do as I please with it, and while I would like to alter it, I don’t want to change it TOO much as I’d still like to honor her. I’m not wearing any type of crinoline as I just slipped it over my regular clothes but it seems capable of becoming quite poofy.

I’m hesitant however, because I admittedly do still want to go dress shopping. My hope was to wear this either for the reception, or, as we are having a Disney wedding, for our one hour session inside the park (before it opens) for our first look and photos. With that in mind, I was considering shortening the length to about tea length and perhaps altering the neckline. But I’m not really sure how. Again, I don’t want to change it TOO much, but I still want it to have a little more of a modern look. I love that it’s so simple as I don’t really want a lot of bling or accesories, and I adore A-line/ballgowns.

I would really love any suggestions on how I might be able to alter this beautiful gown. Also…any thoughts on wearing it as a secondary dress? A part of me feels very guilty for still wanting to go shopping when I have a beautiful dress with so much meaning I can use. However, I’ve also always wanted that special time of looking for my perfect dress with my mom and finding that dress that’s 100% me

Thanks for any input!!!

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
Re: I'm engaged!! Could I possible alter my aunt's old dress?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
that style is actually one of the better to alter (you would have a harder time with a dress that has less fabric) What I would suggest is deciding what you want. Do you like the sleeves? do you want to add more to the skirt? Do you like where the bodice and skirt meet or would you like to raise it and go sort of 50's cocktail dress?
Shop around, find what you know what you like, and then tell me or someone like me, and we can help you with sketches and how to modify. You have to know what you like and looks good on you BEFORE you modify, 'cus there's no unringing that bell XD

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »
What about dying it? I think it would look cute shorter as a reception dress. Are  you going to alter it yourself?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
Don't feel guilty about wanting to shop for your own, it is a beautiful dress, but it was chosen by someone else. Your wedding dress should be chosen to perfectly suit your body and your style and make you look your absolute best. It's not wrong to want to explore your options. If in the end, you decide this dress, possibly with alterations, is best, you don't have to get another dress. If you do find another dress, I think it's a wonderful idea to use this as a reception dress instead. Still honoring your aunt, but not taking away from your wedding being uniquely you and your spouse. Shortening it sounds like a good idea. Be sure to save the fabric cut off though, then you can make a memorial pillow or something with yours and your spouse's name on it or something maybe?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:15:06 PM by kaoskat »

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
That's a pretty dress <3  I agree with Kat--don't be afraid to shop for something that fits you.  You can still use her dress in her honor :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
Thanks so much for your opinion guys! I'm not going to be altering it myself, but I think you're right in that it might be better for me to try on other dresses first to even see what looks good on me before deciding to alter it. I feel bad because I'm actually not a huge fan of lace so I had considered removing it, but in doing so I'm afraid that would be taking away too much of the essence of the dress. But I think sketches would be REALLY helpful and I appreciate the offer Karma, I might take you up on that!

Also, it really does ease my nerves in that it's NOT disrespectful to still want my own dress. My aunt meant so so much and I don't want it to seem like I'm pushing her away by still wanting to shop for my own dress too.

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »
The fact is, it's not likely that someone else will ever wear it so alter as you see fit if it would make that gown into something you could wear. I think the idea of using it as a reception dress is great. Personally? I'd remove the lace sleeves and inset as that lace seems dated. If you like sleeves, than I would use a sheer fabric with a lace overlay to make cap or flutter sleeves. Tea length would be lovely, and it makes your waist look really small!
Terrible rough sketch done with a leaky pen but just some visual of what I mean

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
Even if you just added a sweetheart neckline and maybe something extra around the waist? I mean these are just things I would like xD. but I ADORE the little bit of lace at the bottom. soo simple and pretty!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
I think I would also remove the lace by  the neckline and just have it follow the V shape of the other material and cut the lace from the sleeves so that only a  little of the lace sleeve is left.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
Congrats! You've had some great suggestions so far! Best of luck with whichever route you go. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Congratulations :hug:

Perhaps have a chat with a professional dress alterations company? They may even be able to make you a completely new dress from your Aunts dress :) I've remade garments that were my mums into completely different garments for myself so I knows it's possible ;)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »
Congratulations Inky! :hug:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:42:49 AM »
That is awesome that you got engaged!!! And pretty dress!

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »

This is what happens when I'm avoiding responsibility. Anywho, to explain the arrows, You could turn the high collar into a lace necklace, cut down the lace overlay to make it sort of an under bodice, bring the lace from the bottom of the dress to extend the underbodice/corset part, as you have an awesome waist and should show it off! The rest of the dress can become sleeves. You can also turn the other part of the dress for an inlay for turning the dress into a corset (when you make a corset dress, you usually put an underlay thing under the laces.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 03:05:29 AM »
I love Karma's idea!!! :D That would be an easy alteration and it looks sassy and sexy!! Congrats again, please keep us updated! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal