collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm stuck with a sparrow..  (Read 1587 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I'm stuck with a sparrow..
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
I have a whole group of sparrows at work that come to my call and sit with me. It has taken me 10 years to get just one of them to sit right next to me on the bench. I am hoping I can pet her soon though, as  a fledgeling she hopped right up to me and said hello. I can mimic their song very well, I adore them and this is probably the 3rd generation so far at work.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
Awwww... how could you resist a little sparrow?

If I was closer, I'd take him in. ^.^  Good luck with your friend the retired vet, though. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
I hate that rehab centers don't take in animals they consider "pests". All animals need help, not just the endangered and rare species.  :mad:
Fortunately, some private individuals will take in "pests" that are injured, I'd ask around. Besides, most "pest" species are species introduced into the area by ignorant people and unleashed into the "wild" by uncaring or negligent owners.

Beware though, if word gets out you are harboring wildlife, you could be fined and the poor thing taken from you. Here in Georgia, it's illegal ( as in most other States I am sure ) to have any animal not considered domesticated like cats and dogs.

A neighbor took in infant Opossum orphans after her dog killed the mother in her backyard one night. She had some neighbors call Animal Control on her and the babies were taken from her because of wildlife laws here. Can't even tell you if A.C. took the babies to some rehab place or if they were just destroyed since they needed round the clock care, which A.C. can't offer them.  :(

I hope the little sparrow keeps doing well! It sounds very happy to be around after the cat attack!

Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
Thats so cute, Im glad you saved him an he seems ok. Hopefully he will have a happy rest of his life, where ever he ends up!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
Our nature center takes everything..Pests included. I took three fledglings pigeons to them just last year lol
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
I would suggest loooking for a wildlife center too. They'll have people who could set his possibly broken wing and keep him safe and fed until he's able to fly again. I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain insects make a good portion of alot of species of sparrow's diet and keeping a bird supplied in insects is not easy.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »
Awl, I'd help if I lived closer.  He sounds very trusting, not like a wild adult.  I wonder if he's a grown fledgling with adult plumage that just hasn't learned to fly yet.  --No, wait, totally the wrong time of year for that.  Hmm, guess he's an adult after all, probably injured like you said.  Well, yeah, give him some rest and see if he recovers well enough to be released.  Or try to get your vet friend to take him, lol!

Is it a house sparrow?  There's a great book called Providence of a Sparrow that may get you to like them better if you read it.  Warning:  the paperback version is updated and, uh, quite a tearjerker.  If you'd rather quit while it's still happy, stick to the hardback.  Great book for animal lovers, either way.

And what do you mean by wolverines too????
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:27:06 PM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
I agree with cupecakewishes, its illegal in WI to have a native songbird, although I had a fledging robin for a day this summer until its mom found it in the flower basket I put it in to stay safe. You're not even supposed to handle them before you call someone with a permit. I think since you aren't purposely trying to keep it captive though you'd be fine. Poor thing probably doesn't want to go back out in the cold. PS, there's a lot of groups out there who are angry about outdoor cats threatening native songbird populations. Not to mention outdoor cats average a 3 year lifespan to an indoor cat's 12 years.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:19:07 PM by HavACrumpet452 »

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 11:15:20 PM »
If it's a house sparrow, then it's an introduced species (which is why a lot of rehab places won't take them).
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:55 AM »
poor little guy! I ended up saving a pigeon some years ago but she was in a bad shape and couldn't fly anymore so we kept her :) but I hope you little sparrow will get to his senses and fly away when he recovers.
It's really great of you to take him in and care for him :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
I hate that rehab centers don't take in animals they consider "pests". All animals need help, not just the endangered and rare species.  :mad:
Well, considering what sparrows do to native birds (you can look it on Google if you want, but beware, the images may be graphic) I can see why rehab centers don't bother with them. They are an invasive species, very aggressive. They destroy eggs, kill chicks, and even kill parent birds.

Besides, most "pest" species are species introduced into the area by ignorant people and unleashed into the "wild" by uncaring or negligent owners.

Sparrows were released by some moron back in the 1800s, in New York. Then other morons spread them over the US. They've destroyed our native bird population.

This is not to say karrie91 shouldn't care about the bird, I just thought I would inform that these "cute" little sparrows are actually very aggressive, and should be kept away from other birds.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
As an aspiring conservation biologist the issue of invasive species has always bothered me on many levels. Obviously, they are bad for the local population and in, like, 90% of the cases it is exclusively our fault that they are introduced. But what bothers me the most is the faith of those creatures that belong to an invasive species. As a scientist I know the impact they have but I can't disregard that they are living creatures as well :( I tend to take it always on a case by case basis, meaning that I usually help them out ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
I would make sure you try to release him when you see and hear other sparrows around maybe it will help him if he knows there are other around to be with.

I love birds but I only have black birds visit my yard and they are kinda ugly. The neighbors get robins and sparrow and other pretty birds.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
I agree; I haven't really made up my mind about what the right thing to do is. I want to protect native species, of course, but I don't feel right about turning my back on the "pests." Besides, I don't think one individual is going to make much difference to the rest of the population, since it's already well-established.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Well, considering what sparrows do to native birds (you can look it on Google if you want, but beware, the images may be graphic) I can see why rehab centers don't bother with them. They are an invasive species, very aggressive. They destroy eggs, kill chicks, and even kill parent birds.

Besides, most "pest" species are species introduced into the area by ignorant people and unleashed into the "wild" by uncaring or negligent owners.

Sparrows were released by some moron back in the 1800s, in New York. Then other morons spread them over the US. They've destroyed our native bird population.

This is not to say karrie91 shouldn't care about the bird, I just thought I would inform that these "cute" little sparrows are actually very aggressive, and should be kept away from other birds.

Conservation is hard when dealing with non-native species that out compete natives and the only means of conserving natives is to destroy the invading animals.   :(  I agree, it's brutal in the animal kingdom but it doesn't mean we can't be compassionate to an animal that is just doing what it does to thrive in this world.

Avvie By Watercolors

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal