collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think of your collection as an investment?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think of your collection as an investment?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
I used to... before Ebay had pictures.  I used to... before shipping prices became outrageous.  I used to... before Paypal started becoming popular and adding fees and Pro Accounts.

Now I know that with a product that deteriorates, with all the precautions a seller has to take and all the expenses involved - NOPE!  Not a collectible item that is going to make me any money!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Nah- most of my ponies are common, many have flaws. I have a couple sought-after ponies but I have never thought of it as an investment. I just like em.  ^.^

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Not for me, I bought them to play with so many wouldn't be worth much. I just sold a few nice ish ponies from my collection and got a reasonable amount back for them but, certainly no profit if you include all the shipping I paid. I just collect them because I adore them.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
Actually, kind of. I have some ponies that I am not so very attached to, so if I ever am in a situation again where money is needed desperately, they are the first to go, and they are some that have value. However, they were not bought as an investment, but not as toys either.
What I like about MLP is that even though you spend money, you can also get it back, most of the time. Not so with clothes or other stuff I used to love to buy before I started collecting.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »
It depends; for my Bluebelles the answer is no.  Those are mine, haha, and if I ever needed to sell of my collection, I honestly don't know if I could let them go, at least one of each type.

For most other ponies I have, though? Well, I rarely buy a non Bluebelle for full price, but I have a decent number of ponies that if I ever sold them, I'm certain I will get back more than what I paid for them.  I wanted them, but not for the prices they were going for, so some I won't buy unless I find a good deal, haha.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:31:06 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
No, I don't see them as an investment.. I enjoy collecting.. and especially how could I part with my childhood herd?! Plus, like what was said earlier they aren't going to last forever..

I could resell some higher priced ponies I acquired but I wouldn't... they have a story and I'm their new caretaker now, I couldn't possibly part with them.. :heart: :heart:

Offline goddessofpeep

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »
If they're an investment, I'm doing it wrong.  Really, really wrong.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
If they're an investment, I'm doing it wrong.  Really, really wrong.

:lol: me too...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »
Good lord no!
I'll put something here some time

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »
Oh lord, not at all. I went into this hobby with the expectation of keeping my ponies forever--and as of yet, I've never sold a pony. I have no intention of doing so unless things get so rough it's the only way for me to survive. Knock on wood I'll never have to do that. I don't even think any of the ponies I own are particularly rare either, so the money I'd get would really be a pittance.

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Nope, not at all. When I downsized on G4, I happily sold my older ponies with their pets/saddles (like Blossomforth, Feathermay, etc.) at retail price, and I was fully aware of what they went for online. I'd rather share the pony love than put a price tag on toys, collectible or not. :lovey:

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
No. I think of them as my friends.  :satisfied:

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:38 AM »
Oh lord, not at all. I went into this hobby with the expectation of keeping my ponies forever--and as of yet, I've never sold a pony. I have no intention of doing so unless things get so rough it's the only way for me to survive. Knock on wood I'll never have to do that. I don't even think any of the ponies I own are particularly rare either, so the money I'd get would really be a pittance.

This. The most expensive Ponies I have are my three Big Brothers, I imagine. And in any case, I buy Ponies to finally have more after wanting them so badly as a kid. No desire to sell whatsoever!

Offline elphaba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 07:34:43 AM »
I wish, but no - since I'm back on the boards today looking up how to stave off the plasticizer migration devastation!  Collections are only investments when you can keep the items in good condition - and these pieces just refuse, no matter what.  In fact it's the opposite - I paid a lot for some of them, and as they get greasy and sticky, their value goes from whatever I paid to ZERO.   :(
SHOO-BEE-DOO!
SHOOP-SHOOP-BEE-DOO!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
Nope.

Like many others have stated, collectibles are a poor choice of investment for various reasons. Unlike capital goods, they aren't worth anything except what a collector will pay for them. I just like pretty ponies. :>
Mimic on MLPTP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal