collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vanishing Childhood ponies?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Vanishing Childhood ponies?
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Looking at pictures of SHS got me thinking. I have the majority of my childhood collection. When I got out of High School I went through my room and packed away lots of my model horses ect when I moved. The ponies had been living in a box, and I packed them away in tubs. I didn't have a massive pony collection anyway, because I always bought Breyers even when really young...I wanted the "real" horses, till I finally got one.  I might have kept collecting Breyers anyway.

Point being when I moved away after college my MLP moved with me in a under the box tub. I actually had a shelf in a closet for a long time where they lived on display till I needed the room. There were about four girls I could never find. I packed them away special because they were my favorites. I wanted them to be better taken care of than the other girls, and now I cannot find them!

I'm missing my four original favorites: Winger High Flyer (I have a ton of them now, but eh it's not the same they are not my girl.
The eyelash pink princess pony
Beauty Bloom and Flower Dream

I see the girls around, but I sometimes get a frowny face and decide not to buy them. It's not the same as having mine.

I was curious any particular ponies from your childhood you miss? Did you replace them? Did that make you happy or still kinda eh about it?

Like I replaced High Flyer with my extreme winger collection. I have maybe six or seven of the girl and a nice minty one...but I dunno how I feel about them half the time. :huh:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing Childhood ponies?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
Cotton Candy...she was my first pony and I would love to still have her [along with Bow Tie and Apple Jack and Masquerade]. Cotton Candy was actually the only pony I intended to purchase way back before I started collecting - she was just going to be a nice little childhood reminder I picked up on ebay...well where Cotton Candy went, many others followed!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
Ironically, it was Forget-me-not! I traded her for a Baby Gusty and always regretted it. Now I have her back and almost forgot the girl up there isn't my original until now! It doesn't bother me to have a "different" one now, I think it would if it had been my Cotton Candy or Peachy as they were my first two, but I've upgraded a few others and they feel the same to me, I get the same feeling from looking at them, even better in some cases as they no longer have that regretful mark on them etc, they're cleaner and newer like they were when I was a kid! I might be an odd-ball in this though...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
Hehe see I'm kinda partial to my somewhat half destroyed ponies. I actually cleaned up one of my first ones a while back my old Peachy. I rehaired her ect, and she looks just lovely! I feel somewhat proud and a little bit wicked for changing her up though. After all she was my dirty little Peachy. :lol:

I think it's just different for everyone no harm in that.

Cat: I actually do not own a Cotton Candy. I should fix that.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Bee-chan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
I MISS my childhood Sky Rocket ( Sparkle pony ), and Peek-a-Boo Baby Snippy!

Snippy was best friends with my NBBE Baby Cuddles, who I still have. I kind of want to buy her again to give Baby Cuddles someone to play with again, but it's not the same.

THANKFULLY, I do still have my original Glory, Baby Cuddles, and Glow. Those girls can NEVER be replaced, and even if I end up with more of them, those 3 will always have a front and center display spot.

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
My mother, who collects Barbies and therefor loves her old Barbies from the 70's to pieces, already knew how important it was for me to keep my toys all together. I don't know if she knew I would get into collecting, if she was thinking ahead for when I might need to sell them or give them to my own daughter someday, or if it was just her inner collector pulling out her hair if she ever saw my toys in a mess, but she pretty much beat into me (not literally  :P) to always take care of my toys and always put them back where I found them.

Since we haven't done any moving around and probably won't until I'm shipped off to college, I have no missing ponies, save for two I gave away- one to a little girl here in town (I really regret that, it was my so-soft Petal Dove and out of all of them I loved her the most  :() and one in a trade here with someone on the arena, which I don't regret in the slightest. It was a g3 baby, I have an army of those that I don't want already as it is :P

But when I DO move out for college I'm gonna have to be really careful when packing them. My favorites will probably be coming directly with me in the passenger seat of the moving truck XD so I can always keep an eye on them and know where they are  :happy:
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I was curious any particular ponies from your childhood you miss? Did you replace them? Did that make you happy or still kinda eh about it?

I miss all of my childhood ponies. I gave them all away except for two. (I think I bought them. Twinkler and Curly Locks.) I was a teenager. I didn't care for ponies at the time. I thought I was doing a good deed and getting rid of them. Little did I know I would regain interest in them. I am happy I replaced my entire herd. I know it will never be the same. Like my childhood ponies. What matters is that I am happy with what I have now. :) Furthermore collecting to me is a journey down the road. I made it through many different ups and downs. Though im still collecting.

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Scrumptious - Only have a photo of me with her. Don't recall her, but I do want one.

Baby Cotton Candy - I have her now, she's adorable, but she's not enough on her own..I need the accessories!

Baby Celebrate (and Flutter Yum Yum) - I have the rest of the set, so I obviously had them...but I don't recall them.

Satin N Lace - Got a beautiful replacement, but she again isn't enough, I need her dress and veil.

I feel like my replacement childhood ponies aren't "complete" without all their accessories. It's weird, because I don't mind the ACTUAL childhood ones not having accessories. :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
I'm missing my four original favorites: Winger High Flyer (I have a ton of them now, but eh it's not the same they are not my girl.
The eyelash pink princess pony
Beauty Bloom and Flower Dream

I see the girls around, but I sometimes get a frowny face and decide not to buy them. It's not the same as having mine.

This is often my problem with repurchasing things from my childhood. Even though it's the same item and may even be in the same shape as the one I had kept, it just never feels the same!

I have quite a few old carousels and Disney figurines that much as they have been beat up or have a broken leg or two from us moving so many times (that and cats who don't understand not to knock things over - now we have a curio) I just couldn't trade them in for another one! I think the sadness I would feel from having the new one would outweigh the sadness of having my old ones that are damaged.... One day I hope to try and replicate the missing parts.

I've lost or given away nearly all my childhood toys throughout various moves. I kind of feel that it's better to have something reminiscent of my childhood likes rather than try and replicate the feeling for cherished toys with an exact replacement copy.

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
TIC TAC TOOOOOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister and I had Whizzer, Posey, Tic Tac Toe, and a Remco fakie for our childhood ponies. I have Whizzer and Posey and even the poor Remco fakie but I have been completely unable to locate Tic Tac Toe. She should have been with the others or with our Grand Champions or Barbie stuff and she has never turned up. It vexes me so much because growing up I thought she was the most beautiful pony in the world and really cherished her. I want to get another very badly even though it will never be the same. And the mystery of her disappearance will always haunt me  :sad:

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 03:58:37 AM »
I keep wondering if I'll find all my missing accessories, like Princess Wands and clips (cos I know I had them kept safe for a looong time) but I still have all my childhood ponies and a heap of their backcards too.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
Cat: I actually do not own a Cotton Candy. I should fix that.

Yes totally :) She just personifies MLP for me - pink hair, pink body, original release - she is perfect :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
aww :( I understand....I am still wondering where my UK Confetti and Quarterback went :cry:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
My sister and I boxed up our ponies in 1992 or so and have rarely accessed them again until this year.  I knew we gave away almost 100 ponies before we moved out of state but I was really surprised to see which ones we kept when we opened that box.  We had both kept our very first ponies (Glory for me, Moondancer for her) and their babies. 

My sister kept baby Quackers which made sense since she used to carry that particular pony around in her coat pocket all the time.  I can't believe I gave Flowerburst away.  She was my first Sweetheart Sister and I thought she was so beautiful!  I did at least keep Fancy Flower and her hair is still pink.  My sister also kept her poor very, very well-loved Princess Tiffany. 

We didn't keep any Candy Cane ponies or Sweetberry ponies but we did keep two of our three Merry Go Round ponies.  (At least I think we had three, I'm almost positive we had Tassels but I can't fathom why I would have given her away as she's my favorite of all of them.)  I guess maybe since we got them closer to when we stopped playing ponies they didn't have as much sentimental value but now I think they are so cute!

We got rid of all our Loving Families but we did keep Tux 'n Tails and Pony Bride ( I was a "tween" by then but I was still jealous when my sister got Pony Bride -- she is just so pretty!)  We kept Baby Lucky and my sister kept her Ember (purple with pink hair) and - rather randomly - she kept her purple Valentine twin (we each had a white and a purple one).  Applejack emerged still dressed in the Great Skates outfit (my sister would even style her hair like the picture).  Very tellingly we kept another entire box of accessories.

Sorry, rambling.  To get back on topic, my biggest surprise was finding I hadn't kept Windy.  She was probably my second pony and I loved her.  Her rainbow hair and violet body were the height of beauty in my mind.  I have no idea why I would have given her away.  My sister thinks maybe her glitter had come off but Glory is in awful shape and I kept her!  Anyhow my first G1 purchase on here was Windy and I think this one is probably prettier than the one I had.  I love her.  I think if I didn't have Glory I might feel differently but since I have my nostalgic touchstone I'm fine with looking up at my ponies and seeing "a" Windy versus "my" Windy.  I'm just so thrilled to see her pretty face again.  :biggrin:
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

SailorSonazaki1995

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:02 PM »
It was a g3 pony, named Tink-A-Tink-A-Too. I loved her alot since I was quite young! :3  Well..I accidentally sold her at a yardsale a few years back...Sure i got a new one, but that girl was my first and favorite G3.. :cry:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal