collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Color match help...Mimic!  (Read 773 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Color match help...Mimic!
« on: February 21, 2022, 06:32:32 AM »
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here, much less made a post. But about a year ago, I started trying to make a custom Mimic out of an HQG1C base. I tried several different color combinations to get her color right...she eventually came out the color of G1 Minty. I put her in my sunfading window, and then eventually she spent the whole summer on the dashboard trying to fade the blue tinted out of her in the hopes that she might be more yellow-green.

It worked to a point, and I think I'm getting closer, but I'm pretty sure she's going to have to have a quick dunk in a yellow dye bath before she's the right shade. Problem is, I don't have a real Mimic to compare her to.

So...I'm wondering if someone could do me a couple of favors. First off, would anyone who has a Mimic be able to photograph her with some other green ponies for comparison? I realize she won't match any of them, but I think even trying to see how she compares to other ponies I do own would be helpful. Tootsie (standard version if possible, not a Nirvana variant), Minty, Baby Frosting, are ones that come to mind.

The other thing someone could help with is to find a common household object or product that has packaging that matches her exactly. Preferably something that is sold in a common chain store that is pretty universal; I have my Mimic-in-progress pictured here with this Johnson's Baby Oil Lotion, which is about the exact color my test subject is currently. (If anyone has access to this lotion package and photograph their Mimic with it, that would be helpful too so I can see how far off I am!)

Also paint samples! If anyone 'just happens' to be in the paint department with their Mimic and can find a sample that is an exact match, that's probably the best comparison, provided that it's a pretty universal paint store I can find in the midwest US (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Walmart, possibly even Sherwin Williams are ones I know we have).

My photo doesn't really capture the color very well. It shows up still more 'aqua' than she really is:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help!

Offline Toilandtrouble123

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Hubble bubble, Toil and trouble!
    • View Profile
Re: Color match help...Mimic!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi, I'll see if I can get down to the basement to find her out for you later.

When I was experimenting doing a baby Mimic a few years back, I think I made her base colour up with a touch of neon green mixed with a creamy ivory, but those paints are all locked up in storage at the moment.  The colour was close, but I couldn't get rid of the brush strokes no matter how thinned down the paint was so I gave up.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 06:51:47 AM »
Hi, I'll see if I can get down to the basement to find her out for you later.

When I was experimenting doing a baby Mimic a few years back, I think I made her base colour up with a touch of neon green mixed with a creamy ivory, but those paints are all locked up in storage at the moment.  The colour was close, but I couldn't get rid of the brush strokes no matter how thinned down the paint was so I gave up.

Thanks so much if you can find her!

I'm not even going to attempt a full-body repaint...I don't trust my abilities enough to achieve a factory look without brush strokes! Dye is finicky, but if I can get the color right, it will look better, I think. I know there are some talented custom artists out there that can achieve a perfect factory finish, but I'm not one of them!  XD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:06:52 AM »

I'm not even going to attempt a full-body repaint...I don't trust my abilities enough to achieve a factory look without brush strokes!

Exactly the reason why I gave up some years back!  Then my fiance said that I needed a life outside work  :lol: and a hobby as an outlet, so he bought me an airbrush, and I've been spending the last few weeks stripping down my old custom attempts and learning how to airbrush.

I've loved the finish I've gotten on my Fortune Teller Mystic and Baby Parasol so far!

Shall take photos with flash on and off for you to try and get as accurate colour shots for you xx

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 09:47:24 AM »

I'm not even going to attempt a full-body repaint...I don't trust my abilities enough to achieve a factory look without brush strokes!

Exactly the reason why I gave up some years back!  Then my fiance said that I needed a life outside work  :lol: and a hobby as an outlet, so he bought me an airbrush, and I've been spending the last few weeks stripping down my old custom attempts and learning how to airbrush.

I've loved the finish I've gotten on my Fortune Teller Mystic and Baby Parasol so far!

Shall take photos with flash on and off for you to try and get as accurate colour shots for you xx

I'd love to try an airbrush someday! If I can ever afford it.:huh:

That color seems to be hard to photograph...no matter what light I try her in, my photos of my HQG1C attempt never come out accurate! It always looks more white and aqua than it does in real life.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »
I already took a photo like that for another thread quite some time back. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: It's probably not the best image but here it is anyway:

Although I would say good luck doing a colour match without the pony in front of you. She's not a pony whose colour photographs very well. I think you saw it before, LadyA, but anyhow.

The BB pony is apparently peach sweet. She seems to be the closest colour match in my collection at least.

Also, in my experience green things tend to sun fade to blue, not the other way around. O.o.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:19:57 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 03:33:48 PM »
I already took a photo like that for another thread quite some time back. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: It's probably not the best image but here it is anyway:

Although I would say good luck doing a colour match without the pony in front of you. She's not a pony whose colour photographs very well. I think you saw it before, LadyA, but anyhow.

The BB pony is apparently peach sweet. She seems to be the closest colour match in my collection at least.

Also, in my experience green things tend to sun fade to blue, not the other way around. O.o.

Thank you Taffeta, yes, I was actually thinking of this photo you had posted some months back and couldn't think for the life of me which post it was on. She looks pretty close to the bottom Tootsie. I'm tempted to just try to find the little Peach Sweet on ebay and use her for a color comparison...it would be a lot cheaper than buying a Mimic just to make a custom I probably have less than $30 into!  :lol: I know what you mean though about getting the right shade without the actual pony in hand.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 05:40:31 PM »
I took a photoshoot of Mimic with several Baby Frostings a few years ago, because IMO they make a great mommy and baby set! This was taken outdoors in daylight, without any editing since I don't know how to do that yet. :lmao:

IDK if this will help, but it'll offer another data point for you at least! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 08:14:00 PM »
I took a photoshoot of Mimic with several Baby Frostings a few years ago, because IMO they make a great mommy and baby set! This was taken outdoors in daylight, without any editing since I don't know how to do that yet. :lmao:

IDK if this will help, but it'll offer another data point for you at least! :heart:

Oh yes, that is really helpful!! Thank you! Cute pics! She really isn't too far off from Baby Frosting! A fair bit lighter, but in the same color family. I had made a custom Baby Mimic a year or 2 ago out of a Baby Frosting base, but I kind of cast her aside after she was done, thinking her color was probably way too bright and yellowish for Mimic, but maybe it wasn't so bad. I should dig her up...she came out really cute!

Unfortunately though...this being the case, my HQG1C has a long way to go and definitely needs more yellow to her. :cry:

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 06:21:08 AM »
The Baby Frosting and Mimic family are just too cute!!!

I've just had a brainwave - when my fiance finds out my Dream Castle box from the basement, where I think Mimic is (too many spiders for me when I went down yesterday!), I can take her to our local Homebase after payday to see if they'll do a colourmatch for me and I can get a couple of bottles made up, and send one to you if they do?

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »
The Baby Frosting and Mimic family are just too cute!!!

I've just had a brainwave - when my fiance finds out my Dream Castle box from the basement, where I think Mimic is (too many spiders for me when I went down yesterday!), I can take her to our local Homebase after payday to see if they'll do a colourmatch for me and I can get a couple of bottles made up, and send one to you if they do?

You could do that?! That would be so awesome!!

Ooh...I just realized that you are across the pond from me (I'm in the States). Might be pricey to ship to here...don't worry, I'll pay for it though! 🙂 Even one of those color sample chips they give out would work if they have one that matches.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:26:49 AM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 07:51:00 PM »
For my Mimic custom, I used a spring green paint with a touch of yellow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal