collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Popular Traits Do You Dislike That Others Like?  (Read 1010 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What Popular Traits Do You Dislike That Others Like?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 09:29:36 AM »
Scented ponies, just generally. The perfume puff ponies are an exception. I like them. They smell nice. The others...could be deployed as lethal weapons. O.o.

I love the brush and grows - I always loved the hair to play with. Tinsel can go bad but I still like it. Factory curl is beautiful. I'm really quite easy to please on a lot of general features. BUT scented ponies are a thing of mine, and the sundae best? No. Just no.

If they weren't so interesting re their production, I'd probably have written them off.

Oh yes! I don't like the collector ponies/FF ponies. I am quite bored with the obsession of trotting them out all the time for anniversaries. They have no anniversary significance here, and weren't even really promoted as being from one set in the UK. I never really understand the flap about them. Is that a popular trait? I'm not sure, but I don't like it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
I really don't like the figures with molded hair.  For me, a big part of the appeal and play value of MLP is the brushable hair!  I get that some toys have stylized hairstyles that just don't work with nylon hair, but it's just not to my taste.

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2023, 07:14:05 PM »
I can't really think of any besides some of what has already been mentioned: blind bags, ponies with molded on hair, scented ponies (I love the ponies themselves, but the scents are often way too much for me and I think it can lead to discoloration of the ponies), sparkle ponies (I don't like the plasticiser leaking either, yuck!). I generally prefer ponies without tinsel and glitter also, though I can think it's nice on certain ponies, like the princess ponies. I'd rather not have it on most ponies though, just on a tiny few.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2023, 06:33:43 AM »
Sparkle ponies/translucent ponies (some of the translucent G4 blind bags looked okay, but in general I'm not a fan), pearlized ponies, glitter, scents, and I don't generally care about ~*show accuracy*~. I remember when the Funko vinyl ponies were still being made and you had people obsessing over how "show accurate!!!11" they were, and it's like... yeah, but they're all in the exact same, dead-eyed pose and that's kind of boring? ehhhh.

(not that I dislike the Funko vinyls - they're cute - I'd probably have more if they'd been released over here. but you get what I mean :P)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2023, 11:23:01 AM »
Translucent ponies for me. I think the Glow n Shows look really cool but the way that the glitter is embedded into some of the others (as well as HQG1C) does not click with me.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »
I don't like the G3 babies. I think their proportions are weird, with their bell-bottom looking legs. Their eyes also look bug or alien like to me. And the ones in the closed mouth pose just look kind of smug.

I also don't like articulated ponies. While it's fun to have options for posing, the seams of the joints ruin their appearance for me.

Offline Cin77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »
I was just looking at some princess ponies for sale on a local auction site and came here to ask if it really is just the forelock on the princess ponies because it looks terrible.  I'd still own them haha I wouldn't let that stop me but its doesn't look great at all.  I have a princess primrose and the tinsel in her mane seems to be scattered but the shelf is too high for me to get to to have a closer look >.< First world problems am I right?

I agree with the moulded hair comment too.  The only moulded hair pony I have is Optimus Pony and it just seems appropriate for that one.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2023, 01:11:08 AM »
I'm also very anti-moulded hair. I do have a few GOHs because I wanted a pirate ship, I wanted a normal-sized Daring Do, I wanted a changeling & more Boys (& Cheese Sandwich only comes in GOH), & I found some in a shop offline.
My only crossover, apart from the TS (I still want the Twilight), is Peggy Mane as she represent Lite-Brite & so has this clear hair like the pegs. I doubt fibre-optic fronds can be made thin enough & still have the right effect so with her it goes. I'd love the Twister Pony & the D&D Ponies to have been brushables, but there we go
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2023, 04:26:39 PM »
Another trait I don’t like is this type of art style that’s been used a lot more

Spoiler

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 05:39:43 PM »
molded manes/tails lol

i'd say blind bags but it's not even just those anymore :/ the whole point of the line was brushable hair & i can understand some minis here and there, especially as a budget option since i realize just solid plastic cuts down on overall cost. but i'm sick of it totally taking over the line

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2023, 06:58:30 AM »
I don't care for curly hair. It looks pretty but is a pain to maintain.

G2 Babies. There are some very cute designs, but their faces are too fat, unfinished, and droopy.

Collector Ponies-That pose is awful.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 10:18:20 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2023, 07:20:43 AM »
Speaking of poses... I hate the Quackers pose. It's the worst.

I wish Moondancer and Sunbeam were in different poses. That pose is so... I don't know.... doughy?

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2023, 08:36:35 AM »
Are moulded manes popular? At least when it comes to brushables/brushable style figures, I don't reallly see much love for those. I suppose that they're quite popular outside of the brushable style, such as Funko Vinyls or the Mighty Jaxx figures. Perhaps those figures are being referred to or I've been missing some moulded mane love.

I also haven't personally seen much Pony Life or Tell Your Tale art style love. I've actually seen a lot of criticism of them both myself.

Anyway, I'm not a fan, either. I'm not really a big fan of chibi art styles.

I don't like the Quackers pose, either. It looks awkward.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2023, 09:20:06 AM »
For me a lot of it is the pose of some ponies. I grew up on a horse and cattle farm and some poses drive me nuts. Like Rapunzels pose, it’s my least favorite one. I do realize I shouldn’t judge plastic ponies to real horses but yeah know  :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 12:52:29 AM »
Yeah, I didn't include moulded manes because I think (at least within the community here) they're not super popular. Though I suppose blind bags etc are a bit different, I hate seeing play size ponies in the store with moulded manes. It's lazy. There, I said it.

Though given some of the hair quality in later lines...*sigh*. When you look at how well many G1 ponies' hair has aged compared to some G4 or even G5 ponies out of the package...

As a kid I was super picky on poses. I made decisions about ponies I would buy, sometimes, based on the pose. I know some people have problems keeping poses straight but I was one of those geeky kids who remembered, LOL :)

As an adult I'm much less picky. I'm also surprised that poses I hated as a kid - eg the CJ pose - I now like just fine.

I often wonder why Moondancer/Sunbeam/Sugar Sweet (+the amended one for Princess Misty) were the only ones to use that pose. I wonder if Hasbro also didn't like it much....there are more ponies in the Gusty pose.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:55:05 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal