collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 467599 times)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #1890 on: August 17, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Recently, I have bought three of the retro G1 ponies, and decided to keep them MIB. Everyone I've told has said "that's because they'll keep their value, isn't it?" like I'm going to sell them. I haven't bought these ponies with any intention of selling them, I just like having them on display MIB and like how they look that way. Sure, they might be worth more money if I ever have to sell them, but I don't want to and that's not why I've kept them in the packaging.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »
I had a little bottle full of hand sanitizer in my bag and didn’t close the lid all the way. Of course the bottle leaked. Luckily it was in another bag inside my main bag but it was still frustrating.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1892 on: August 17, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
I had a little bottle full of hand sanitizer in my bag and didn’t close the lid all the way. Of course the bottle leaked. Luckily it was in another bag inside my main bag but it was still frustrating.

Ponyfan

I have had that happen. It's so annoying :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 17, 2019, 01:25:07 PM »

Ponyfan

I have had that happen. It's so annoying :/

I raise you - the same situation, but with a bottle pf Thai fish sauce...

I brought a bottle in for my friend and it LEAKED, the smell was AWFUL!!!  :X :X :X :X :X

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1894 on: August 17, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
Can I complain about people who accuse others of not being a "real" whatever unless they like XYZ? I'm not a Star Wars fan. Sorry, I find the movies boring. This makes me unable to be a REAL science fiction fan because everyone who knows anything about sci-fi loves Star Wars apparently.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: August 17, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
I was helping my parents clean our church building this morning and we found 2 baby mice crawling about.  They were so small they had grey fuzz but their eyes weren't open yet.  My dad had to dispose of them.  They were cute, but I understand that they are also pests whose leavings carry the hantavirus and I still feel bad they had to be sent to the big cheese in the sky.  There were two larger mice that were dead in a trap in a nearby room so they may have been the parents (in which case the babies wouldn't have survived long anyway) but there's no way to know for sure.  Poor little :yuki:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 18, 2019, 02:31:11 AM »
Can I complain about people who accuse others of not being a "real" whatever unless they like XYZ? I'm not a Star Wars fan. Sorry, I find the movies boring. This makes me unable to be a REAL science fiction fan because everyone who knows anything about sci-fi loves Star Wars apparently.

I have this with anime lately. Being told to watch certain shows because they're popular else I don't know anything about anime.

*rolls eyes*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: August 18, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »

I have this with anime lately. Being told to watch certain shows because they're popular else I don't know anything about anime.

*rolls eyes*

I also dislike when people say you have to like or watch a certain thing to be a real fan. With anime I think there is something for everyone. I recently watched Howl's Moving Castle and didn't enjoy it much, but that doesn't mean that  I don’t like anime just because I didn't like Howl’s

It is 104 F where I live. It’s too hot.  :hot:

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:13:29 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #1898 on: August 18, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »

Well, Star Wars is not even true Sci-Fi, George Lucas himself called it a Space Opera and it's even been discussed if it should be called fantasy (IV-VI with the force etc) that just happen to be in space, so called Space Fantasy. So those who says you have to watch it to enjoy sci-fi are clearly wrong :P.

I was once interviewed by a girl at a party who concluded I was not a true fan of a band as I couldn't mention all the band members. I still can't. I listen to the band because i like the music, not to be able to answer a popquizes of who's who. That goes for every band I listen to. In many I can't even name the singer. I know the lyrics to pretty much every song though, but that is not something that counts apparenlty.

It is raining on my day off and I am suppose to meet a friend today but all I feel like doing is lighting a few candles, huddle under a blanket and read my book.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: August 19, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »
Worst Witch is getting a lot of attention lately, which is fine. However. I am getting fed up with people claiming it is a knock off of Harry Potter.

I grew up with the Worst Witch books,  they hugely predate HP. When HP first came out I immediately thought of the WW series.

Of course they are not identical. But they do have a lot in common and the above HP fans should educate themselves about which came first before making stupid comments.

Jill Murphy deserves better.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »
Worst Witch is getting a lot of attention lately, which is fine. However. I am getting fed up with people claiming it is a knock off of Harry Potter.

I grew up with the Worst Witch books,  they hugely predate HP. When HP first came out I immediately thought of the WW series.

Of course they are not identical. But they do have a lot in common and the above HP fans should educate themselves about which came first before making stupid comments.

People seriously think Harry Potter came first?  Wow.  That's like saying that Dracula is a knock off of Twilight. 

My trivial complaint: I'm 2 pounds away from my first weight goal (I will set another after I achieve this one) but I've been stuck here for a week.  Grrr....

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: August 19, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
The 2 Japanese songs I wanted to buy on iTunes are not on US iTunes.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »

Ponyfan
I feel your pain.
I'm usually amazed when one of the tunes I want IS on Itunes, and I don't have to plough through either auctions or amazon.jp and sell my soul.

@Pokeyonekenobie - I know, right? *head desk*.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 20, 2019, 01:14:41 AM »

The Worst Witch was basically my life when I was 6-8 (and I still love it!), so this really drives me mad too! I remember reading Harry Potter when I was 8 and thinking it was totally overrated because the Worst Witch and the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones were much more awesome, so why was everyone going on like J. K. Rowling had invented magic? I must have been the only kid in my school not obsessed with Harry Potter :lol:. I used to find it so annoying telling people I liked books about witchcraft and them saying 'oh, like Harry Potter?'. No, not like that upstart Potter! I was quite angry about my witchy book preferences as a child :lol:. I am more chilled now, but I still think Harry Potter's similarities to books that came before should really be acknowledged!

Jill Murphy is a bit peeved by it too, she was interviewed in the Telegraph recently and said 'I don't talk about Harry Potter. I suppose it would be nice if people said thank you'. Meanwhile Diana Wynne Jones once said quite mildly 'I think J. K. Rowling must have read my books as a child'!

I also don't like the new CBBC adaptation of WW, my heart belongs to the 90s ITV version. So my trivial complaint is that you can now get various fanmade items for the new series on Etsy, and for the 80s(?) film with Tim Curry in it, but nothing for the ITV version! I want stickers, badges and fanart with Kate Duchêne as Miss Hardbroom!

Ponyfan

I identify with this too! I love German and Hungarian musicals. I can usually find the German ones, but Deezer (my go-to for listening to music) doesn't seem to have heard of Hungary....
Then of course my favourite Hungarian actor releases a CD and it's not available to buy internationally :cries:. I must stop loving such obscure things!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:20:42 AM by Shaz »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: August 20, 2019, 01:38:55 AM »
I first knew about HP when the first movie happened, as I was older than the age demographic. I saw a trailer of the movie in a store somewhere - maybe Woolworths - and I was like, but the Worst Witch already did all this, right? Uncompromising potions teacher who hates the MC? Check. Crazy head? Check. Annoying blond rival from priveleged family? Check. Boarding school to learn about magic? Check. Enemy witch who happens to be related to one of the good witches? Check. Flying lessons on brooms? Check.

So I don't think it's the same. I think HP probably does enough to be considered its own thing overall, and a magic school in general is probably quite vague and broad. But given the above, I feel like at the very least those fans should be educated enough to know the order of stuff, and not just assume HP came first and that WW is a knockoff. I saw the interview article as well with Jill Murphy. I've always felt a bit bad for her with all the HP hype since for me it's hard to imagine HP would have happened without WW.

I remember reading Diana Wynne Jones as a kid but mostly horse things pushed my way by my horse mad friend, I don't remember the other series you mention.

But yeah, this irked me.

I also liked the 90s series although it does a lot of swerving away from the books in places.

Though I do actually think Snape is a more relatable character than Hardbroom and more fleshed out overall. But it still feels like the right thing to do would be to acknowledge the influence so that fans stopped calling WW a HP knockoff and started to respect it as an earlier work.

As a kid I had the yellow and the red books and read them to death, and borrowed the purple one from the library often. My sister also read my copies to death and then got her own and then the aqua one came out as well. My sister disdains everything HP. I think this is part of the reason why.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:40:33 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal