collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 467641 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #1710 on: July 01, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »
I think gaming has evolved now into the language as a specific type of playing games. It's kind of like googling and texting, which have become verbs from objects.

Mind you if you think that's bad you should see what the Japanese do with the words they take from our language.

It's already a thing in Japanese to shove suru on the end of a lot of nouns to make a verb, but it's a lot weirder when it's a loan word that has suru tacked onto the end of it.

Good examples - if you're doing sport, you up suru (appu suru - warm up) beforehand and then down suru (daun suru - cool down, or warm down, whichever) afterwards..

On this same note, I can't stand people putting Japanese words into english sentences. Not words that have become part of English, like tsunami or kimono, but other words.

Years ago everyone used to post "it's so kawaii" on forums all over the place and it did my head in. It still does, but it happens less now (at least, I don't see it as often). Especially since the way most people pronounce kawaii when they say that is more like the japanese word kowai, which means frightening, not cute.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:43:54 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 01, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
Being a bit of a pedant and a stick-in-the-mud, needlessly making nouns into verbs annoys me as well, such as "gaming"

Eh. The word gaming has been around for a long time: http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2017/10/vintage-ad-why-women-dont-play-wargames.html

I'm unsure if wargaming came first, or if it was just gaming in general. But international federation of wargaming was in the late 60s. :/ and they started gen-con which is gaming convention.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:56:09 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 01, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
Being a bit of a pedant and a stick-in-the-mud, needlessly making nouns into verbs annoys me as well, such as "gaming"

Eh. The word gaming has been around for a long time: http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2017/10/vintage-ad-why-women-dont-play-wargames.html

I'm unsure if wargaming came first, or if it was just gaming in general. But international federation of wargaming was in the late 60s. :/ and they started gen-con which is gaming convention.

I have a feeling it's maybe older. I think it's associated with gambling, but I'm not sure when gaming became used in that context...

Edit to add:

Google searched it and apparently 1501.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaming

But in the context of gambling. Although it's listed as a noun rather than a verb, it seems a bit fluid given how it's used now...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:00:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 01, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
I hate that.

I also hate it in cinemas. I have basically stopped going to the cinema because of parents thinking the big screen is a babysitter for their two year old while they watch the film. Especially 12 films. I could rant a lot about the evils of 12a films.

My rant for the day...

When your sister's dental appointment disrupts your whole schedule once and then turns out to take 2 hours instead of 5 minutes.
Ugh, yes. I loathe going to the cinema. Don't even get me started about people who talk during the performance and throw out SPOILERS for the film before they happen (it's happened to me twice now).

I'm getting really fed up with this stupid "internet language" you can't seem to avoid these days. Why can't they call anything by its real name? A dog can't be a dog, it's a "pupper" or a "woofer". A bird is a "birb". Cats are probably "cattos" or something equally stupid. For some reason it really irritates me.

What's worse is when people start saying it in real life...
Yes, I agree. What makes it worse is when you play a videogame and someone on the team decides to add words like that to make it hip (I guess). I play these things to get away from this world, not to fall right back in it  -_-

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 01, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »

I have a feeling it's maybe older. I think it's associated with gambling, but I'm not sure when gaming became used in that context...

Edit to add:

But in the context of gambling. Although it's listed as a noun rather than a verb, it seems a bit fluid given how it's used now...

I also think it's older too, but I tried to stick to sources with text that I can say here's an example of it. (war games have been around since the 1700s, but unsure if they used the word gaming). But I think in a modern sense, it EASILY stems from nerd culture from the 70s/80s.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 01, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »

Edit to add:

I also think it's older too, but I tried to stick to sources with text that I can say here's an example of it. (war games have been around since the 1700s, but unsure if they used the word gaming). But I think in a modern sense, it EASILY stems from nerd culture from the 70s/80s.

Interestingly the above link is an American dictionary, rather than a British one, but 1501 or thereabouts probably legit given that dictionaries research that stuff. It doesn't surprise me that gaming (the gambling term) should be (at least) Tudor in origin. There was a lot of gambling at Henry VIII's court. It's probable the record they cite comes from his household accounts or similar records from that period, as a lot exist. Unfortunately the dictionary doesn't say so. It would be fun to know for sure, but I don't fancy digging through the BL archive xD. My guess would be that if it was there in the early Tudor period it's probably mediaeval at least, but that's a guess.

But all of that is totally different from the video gaming context which is obviously more recent.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 02, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
About the language thing: I couldn't agree more! >_< But trust me, it's even worse when you live in a non-English speaking country... Everything NEEDS to be in English to make it more "hip" and "youthful". :hmm:

Uh, hello? We have our own language? We are Dutch, remember? So irritating... >_<

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »
About the language thing: I couldn't agree more! >_< But trust me, it's even worse when you live in a non-English speaking country... Everything NEEDS to be in English to make it more "hip" and "youthful". :hmm:

Uh, hello? We have our own language? We are Dutch, remember? So irritating... >_<

I never knew that was a thing. :blink: How odd... Like what kinds of things do you mean?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 02, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »

I never knew that was a thing. :blink: How odd... Like what kinds of things do you mean?

The Japanese do this as well and it irritates the heck out of me. I mean, seriously, they have their own words for things. Please use them. Please....

I remember a german friend when I was in sixth form having similar rants about German adopting too many English words.

English is really not that amazing that it should be infecting every other language on the planet :/

<--the English girl who wanted to learn every language as a kid and who genuinely hated that English was her first language because it meant she didn't get to learn other languages as early as other countries and thus was always playing catch up.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
I'm in the US and even though fireworks aren't allowed inside the city where I live a lot of people ignore the law and shoot fireworks off anyway. My dog gets very upset by the loud noises the fireworks makes and I was up late last night trying to keep her calm and reassure her that the fireworks wouldn't hurt her.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #1720 on: July 05, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »
People are implementing a lot of English words in the Swedish language as well and has for some time. Some has been here since the 80's like 'skateboard', and we are extremly good at translating one english word to another english word. Anyone remember walkman? In Sweden we called them freestyle. The movie Miss Congeniality is Ms Secret Agent here. Dead men tell no tale became Salazar's Revenge.

Nowadays a lot of English words that are used here have to do with social media and also a bunch of swear words. We have an array of perfectly good bad words in our dictionary, I can't understand why we would have to add more but the F-word is used a lot nowadays, so much that authors write it in their books. We have a swedish word for it but I guess that's not cool enough. Cool is also a word we've taken in btw ;). Some rapper tried to implement the N-word but he got shut down pretty fast. Listening too young kids and teenagers talking today and there's a lot of Swenglish going on. I know languages evolve but I don't really like this new trend :pout:.

Ponyfan, I'm sorry. Every new years there are debates about the use of fire works because of how it scares animals and people spread tips and ideas of how to keep them calm. Last year a dog died out of fear. I hope your dog is feeling better and that the idiots who broke the law kept it to to the fourth and don't fire anymore.

My complaint of the day: We were suppose to go camping by the beach but it's raining so it got cancelled. Also, it's my last weekend before I have to go back to work.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 06, 2019, 03:46:39 AM »
Complaint of the day: hypocrisy! Especially from people who like to put on a big show of what perfect, conscientious human beings they are. Spoiler alert: those people are usually the very LEAST perfect of us all—hence their pathological need to prove how much better they are than everyone else. ;)

Sorry. I really needed to vent that bit of snarkiness. -_- People can be exhausting...
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 06, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
I'm in the US and even though fireworks aren't allowed inside the city where I live a lot of people ignore the law and shoot fireworks off anyway. My dog gets very upset by the loud noises the fireworks makes and I was up late last night trying to keep her calm and reassure her that the fireworks wouldn't hurt her.

Ponyfan

I understand. They're allowed in my town, unfortunately. But people don't care about the rules to begin with.

My dog is scared of thunder and fireworks and thus the last several days have not been fun. She actually is okay indoors (not so much when there is a thunderstorm, but she has been panting/shaking less in the fireworks than thunderstorms), but when I let her out she won't go to the bathroom, she just bolts right back to the door.

She is a smaller dog, so I know she can't go that long without going to the bathroom, yet she just doesn't have accidents indoors when it's too much for her, she just suffers. I hate fireworks so much. Seriously who in the world allowed those things to be set off in a town?

|My Collection|

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 06, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
Complaint of the day: hypocrisy! Especially from people who like to put on a big show of what perfect, conscientious human beings they are. Spoiler alert: those people are usually the very LEAST perfect of us all—hence their pathological need to prove how much better they are than everyone else. ;)

Sorry. I really needed to vent that bit of snarkiness. -_- People can be exhausting...

I feel like this is a rather large percentage of society.

@Ponyfan - I hate when people do that :( It's rough on animals, and I'm not a fan personally of private firework displays. People always get hurt around 5th Nov despite the warnings, and the wild animals also suffer from the noise as well as pets...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 06, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
Thank you everyone. My dog started having seizures last year after the 4 of July. She is an elderly dog but she had never had a seizure before she got so scared last year. Last night I only heard a few fireworks going off.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal