collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 467622 times)

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #1320 on: January 07, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
Turns out I've got a throat infection, I've had these symptoms for 6 weeks and the doctor has refused to give me antibiotics for another 2 weeks. I've had really bad trouble sleeping the past few weeks along with being sick during the night and it's even worse now that I'm back to college and my work placements. I wish this infection would just go away  :(
I'd love to call in sick but I Just don't (For some reason I forgot to put that word in XD) want to be selfish and take time off.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:20:28 AM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
@StrawberrySundance

It's not selfish to take care of yourself.

On the other hand -- think about it if you are contagious. :/ It could be life threatening for others. (I know some people have no choice and need money but man oh man I hate when people come in sick)

I  hate being stressed out about a job interview... *crosses hooves*
I hope you get it !! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
@StrawberrySundance

It's not selfish to take care of yourself.

On the other hand -- think about it if you are contagious. :/ It could be life threatening for others. (I know some people have no choice and need money but man oh man I hate when people come in sick)

I  hate being stressed out about a job interview... *crosses hooves*
I hope you get it !! :)

I called in sick, the last thing I want to do is make others ill.

Got lots of college work to focus on, but I'm getting through it! Although it doesn't help when they don't give you a proper deadline and just say 'hand it in in January'   :pout:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1323 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
:hug: to StrawberrySundance, feel better soon - also :hug: to Beldarna.

So today is my first day back after the break. First day of the new academic term...

That in itself is fine. Just the admin dept at my university really need re-employing or re-training. Last term I wasn't on the timetable, I got told to fill in registers for a course I don't teach, and HR told me my contract ended in March when it ends in May. So I should have been prepared...however...

I get to my 10am class. Except the classroom has changed. Without anyone telling me or my students. That's bad enough but I have navigation issues, so any room changes are meant to be communicated to me well in advance to make sure I know how to find that room and that there's no issues. This did not happen.

It also wasn't an isolated incident as my afternoon class had also moved. But after the morning incident I thought to check. This one was also without any notice, and worse, in the building I have the most trouble navigating. So I had to waste some time figuring out where it was well before class, since I go right from lecture to class and don't have time to get lost. All this when I needed to go speak to the doctoral school about my viva, not flap around finding my classrooms.

My students, again, weren't told. They were also very confused. One of them asked me why the rooms changed. I wish I had an answer to give that didn't involve "timetabling sucks."

All in all I managed to teach my classes, find my classes, and get through my day, but it meant internalising a lot more stress than I normally would in order to teach the class professionally and not let the students down. It made me angry in particular because while a lapse in communication can happen, it's written specifically on my staff record that I need to know about room changes. And it could easily have meant that these classes didn't run today, if the rooms had been in places I couldn't find or if, this morning, I hadn't had students with me to help figure it out.

On top of that my convener has made some changes to one of the courses without telling me. I wouldn't mind but again I found out this morning. But it turns out the material he added isn't essential, it's just for the students if they want to expand their reading...so that was a lesser panic.

First day of term, done. Really looking forward to the rest of it. And this is just the teaching. Not even the bit when I have to format and submit my thesis, which is coming up fast now...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:22:09 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:22 AM »
:hug: to StrawberrySundance, feel better soon

Thank you Taffeta :hug:
Sorry to hear that all this disorganisation is going on at the university, it sounds exactly like my college- ugh it's super annoying.

First day back at college and I'm still feeling terrible, I've had 3 hours sleep, I accidentally slept in 30 minutes, I had a bit of a break down in the car, my fingerprint didn't work in the café (luckily I could use my student ID) and the childcare classrooms have no windows that actually open so it was very warm especially being in a class room 9-12. I'm an hour away from home too, I cannot wait to get home and sleep...

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »

So today is my first day back after the break. First day of the new academic term...

That in itself is fine. Just the admin dept at my university really need re-employing or re-training. Last term I wasn't on the timetable, I got told to fill in registers for a course I don't teach, and HR told me my contract ended in March when it ends in May. So I should have been prepared...however...

I get to my 10am class. Except the classroom has changed. Without anyone telling me or my students. That's bad enough but I have navigation issues, so any room changes are meant to be communicated to me well in advance to make sure I know how to find that room and that there's no issues. This did not happen.

It also wasn't an isolated incident as my afternoon class had also moved. But after the morning incident I thought to check. This one was also without any notice, and worse, in the building I have the most trouble navigating. So I had to waste some time figuring out where it was well before class, since I go right from lecture to class and don't have time to get lost. All this when I needed to go speak to the doctoral school about my viva, not flap around finding my classrooms.

My students, again, weren't told. They were also very confused. One of them asked me why the rooms changed. I wish I had an answer to give that didn't involve "timetabling sucks."

All in all I managed to teach my classes, find my classes, and get through my day, but it meant internalising a lot more stress than I normally would in order to teach the class professionally and not let the students down. It made me angry in particular because while a lapse in communication can happen, it's written specifically on my staff record that I need to know about room changes. And it could easily have meant that these classes didn't run today, if the rooms had been in places I couldn't find or if, this morning, I hadn't had students with me to help figure it out.

On top of that my convener has made some changes to one of the courses without telling me. I wouldn't mind but again I found out this morning. But it turns out the material he added isn't essential, it's just for the students if they want to expand their reading...so that was a lesser panic.

First day of term, done. Really looking forward to the rest of it. And this is just the teaching. Not even the bit when I have to format and submit my thesis, which is coming up fast now...

That's a lot at the start of one new class. I hope your campus has a rights/cultural group led by students with disabilities, many don't. Some of these, like Syracuse U. in the U.S.A. that do had an online email list for the topic around the nation. Easier to go through disregard of the accommodation and any such battles with people who get the gripe is more than you being about you. Stay strong & hope you are soon back to relaxing and teaching your classroom.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 09, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I can't find the courage to apply for a new job. I thought I'd lessen the pressure by simply offering to volunteer at a nonprofit thrift store for a while, but even that leaves me paralyzed with fear, just thinking about it. At least I might be able to solve this with even more fear, since I'm even more terrified of becoming a deadbeat :cloud:
I wish I could be not useless and not scared at the same time...

Offline Loreofyore

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 09, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
I can't find the courage to apply for a new job. I thought I'd lessen the pressure by simply offering to volunteer at a nonprofit thrift store for a while, but even that leaves me paralyzed with fear, just thinking about it. At least I might be able to solve this with even more fear, since I'm even more terrified of becoming a deadbeat :cloud:
I wish I could be not useless and not scared at the same time...
Yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xp22IYL2uU
Have you tried being a tad gentler with yourself? Kicking ourselves when down isn't something we really have to do these days when we are a bit different than others and need it understood or to explain to family... leaking in are some gentler ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eee7h7uVbiY
Man I struggle with it too so good luck, some days though the most productive thing left to do is to give yourself a break and sleep it off if you need to.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
I wish that stupid "who is watching in [insert current year]?" trend on YouTube would die already, seriously. :hmm: I really don't care if you think you're "cool" because you are watching a video from before you were born. If I scroll down to read the comments I am doing so because I am interested in other people's opinions about the song, but I all I get is "who is watching in [insert current year]?" 7465823477485923229 times. :pout:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1329 on: January 09, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »

That's a lot at the start of one new class. I hope your campus has a rights/cultural group led by students with disabilities, many don't. Some of these, like Syracuse U. in the U.S.A. that do had an online email list for the topic around the nation. Easier to go through disregard of the accommodation and any such battles with people who get the gripe is more than you being about you. Stay strong & hope you are soon back to relaxing and teaching your classroom.

My university complains about a lot of things but disability in regards to student representation has only really found a voice this past year when the SU realised it was roundly hated for some of its other behaviour...

I am stubborn though. And well used to dealing with this kind of thing. I know it wasn't malicious, it's just complete lack of attention that does it. People don't understand disabilities they can't see and so don't take them seriously/ignore them/forget them etc. But I have informed the proper people and my convener is on my side anyway.

Discrimination through ignorance is probably better than discrimination through spite, but it creates just as much annoyance.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:10 AM »
I'm creating a maze for a Harry Potter escape room and the effect that worked at home isn't working when I try to do it at work.  Waah!  :cry:

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:50 AM »
I have been getting telemarketing calls constantly for the last few days. It's same 2 or 3 numbers. They hang up and call back 5 minutes later. This can last for several hours a day.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »
I have been getting telemarketing calls constantly for the last few days. It's same 2 or 3 numbers. They hang up and call back 5 minutes later. This can last for several hours a day.

Ponyfan

I've gotten these a lot lately, too.  I ignore the call unless I recognize the number and they keep using different numbers from different states.  They're spoofing them and someone texted me to tell me that they'd gotten missed calls from me that I didn't make (and I told them that I thought my number was being spoofed and to ignore them) so I don't think anyone's number is safe.  I think they're calling initially to see when you are likely to answer.  I have found that if I ignore them and don't answer, they don't call as often because they're getting the hint that I'm not going to answer.  If you're in the states, report them to the Do Not Call Registry (donotcall.gov) if you are registered because they're not supposed to be calling you.  It's illegal once you're registered on that list.  And if you're not on it, go ahead and register for it.  It's free and you only have to sign up once and you're on the list for life. 

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 10, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Yikes, customs charges! I treated myself to a record for my birthday but the only way I could get the specific edition I've wanted for years now was to get it from America, so it's arrived safely but I had to pay an extra £16 to retrieve it from the post office. :|

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 13, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »

Ponyfan

I've gotten these a lot lately, too.  I ignore the call unless I recognize the number and they keep using different numbers from different states.  They're spoofing them and someone texted me to tell me that they'd gotten missed calls from me that I didn't make (and I told them that I thought my number was being spoofed and to ignore them) so I don't think anyone's number is safe.  I think they're calling initially to see when you are likely to answer.  I have found that if I ignore them and don't answer, they don't call as often because they're getting the hint that I'm not going to answer.  If you're in the states, report them to the Do Not Call Registry (donotcall.gov) if you are registered because they're not supposed to be calling you.  It's illegal once you're registered on that list.  And if you're not on it, go ahead and register for it.  It's free and you only have to sign up once and you're on the list for life. 

They are calling up to 7 times a day 15-20 minutes apart. My numbers are on the Do Not Call List so I’m not sure how they getting around it.

Today’s complaint:  I went out to eat and one of the bus boys reconigezed me. We went to school together when we were in grade school. I’ve seen him a few times since then as an adult and he always says Hi and today he gave me a hug but the thing is the only time we communicate is when we see each other in passing so I guess I should be flattered that I still look young enough that he would reconige me. He told someone that he is older than me when really we’re the same age. I don’t understand why he seems attracted to me maybe he’s just being extra friendly.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal