collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dreamvalley closed?!  (Read 13512 times)

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
Re: Dreamvalley closed?!
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
This is so sad! I've used that site since I was new to MLP.... and that was ages ago.... :cry:
I just loved the way it was arranged with all the release years and pictures of the sets altogether.
I haven't found a site that even come close to all that greatness in all my years of collection. It's always been a nostalgic feeling when surfing in on Dreamvalley.

Kimberly, thank you for the great service towards the MLP community for all these years! <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »
NOOO!!!

You can still view it on the wayback machine.  I guess that's something.  https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/

:sad:

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline mulbiles

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2016, 08:48:38 PM »
I'm going to really miss her site! I remember back in the day when it didn't have the photos of the ponies but just the image artwork from the back of each of the mlp cards.  The artwork really was beautiful! She spent a lot of time updating it and I spent hours creating my wishlists or even browsing the ribbon database so I could have the correct ribbon color on each of my ponies.  I'm kind of in shock that it's gone.  It's going to take a while before it actually sinks in for me. 

I do!  That was my site.  :P  Back before I got lazy, lol.

Your site was awesome! I loved it!

at least we still have Kimono's Townhouse.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:56:36 PM by mulbiles »

Offline Mainsail

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2016, 12:46:28 AM »
I'm going to really miss her site! I remember back in the day when it didn't have the photos of the ponies but just the image artwork from the back of each of the mlp cards.  The artwork really was beautiful! She spent a lot of time updating it and I spent hours creating my wishlists or even browsing the ribbon database so I could have the correct ribbon color on each of my ponies.  I'm kind of in shock that it's gone.  It's going to take a while before it actually sinks in for me. 

I do!  That was my site.  :P  Back before I got lazy, lol.

Your site was awesome! I loved it!

at least we still have Kimono's Townhouse.
Oh my gosh, I nearly forgot about Kimono's Townhouse!! I remember reading those comics for days! :P (Kinda inspired me to make my own pony webcomic back then, but mine never really set sail.... :lookround: )

My MLP Tumblr

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
Omg Kimono's Townhouse! It still exists? O: *plods off to google*

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline scarletmoon

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+50)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mexican pony lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
Hey but wait.. maybe we can do something to help her, and continue with the site, how much is it? is it expensive?  There are a lot of members here that used the page, so we can donate or something to help her with the site....

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure she said she couldn't keep it, but also didn't want to keep it up? I tried going to the site to get that message again, because I can't remember if that's correct, but it seems it's been completely removed now.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2016, 01:54:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure she said she couldn't keep it, but also didn't want to keep it up? I tried going to the site to get that message again, because I can't remember if that's correct, but it seems it's been completely removed now.

The Wayback Machine is our savior :)
https://web.archive.org/web/20161106041733/http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/

After nearly twenty years, I am so very sorry to have to close Dream Valley: A Collector's Guide to My Little Pony. I don't want to go into all the details, just I am no longer able to maintain any of my websites. And I am sorry this is so sudden; this message will not be online much longer.

My Little Pony has been a part of me for most of my life, and Dream Valley has been my way of expressing and sharing that joy with other pony fans and collectors during much of that time. Closing Dream Valley was not an easy decision in the least, not so much for myself, but for all the people I've met and whom I've been able to help because of it.

I have and will always love My Little Pony, and am looking forward to continuing to enjoy whatever the future brings, but this situation has forced me to realize that I am ready to be just a fan again.

When Dream Valley first went live in 1997, the online My Little Pony community was just beginning, and having seen how it's grown over the years, I have always been proud to have been one of its founding members, and I hope the fandom lives on forever, both online and off.

Thank you everypony.

Kimberly

There's definitely both "cannot" and "do not want". I think we should respect Kim's decision and not try to pressure her to re-open, hand it over to someone else, etc. Some of the pages are on the Wayback Machine and any specific info only DV had can be saved and, if applicable, added to other sites.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2016, 02:22:20 AM »
Kim was always very protective about her site, and to try and take any kind of control from her to run it would be disrespectful in my opinion. We'd be doing it for the sake of our nostalgia, not considering her wishes. She's kept the site up this long where others have gone, and when she wasn't actively involved here. We don't know the reasons behind her decision, so we shouldn't assume that we have the right to try and overrule it.

On another note, if DV went live in 1997, the DV printouts I have from 98 are really early. I wonder when in 1997. I also wonder if I still have the original printouts that I took from the library in summer 97 or if I junked them (probably the latter).

It makes me realise that, if I had gone onto a library PC to find MLP in January or February instead of July or August, it might not have been there, and everything might have been different. I always assumed it had been there at least a year before I got online...but I guess that's an additional bittersweet thing for me. I was there almost at its start, and now, almost 20 years on, I see its end. Whatever my personal frustrations at times with information issues and updates, I really do feel it is the end of a huge era in the pony world.

I also think that Kim has the right to be 'just a fan' again, as she put it. Sometimes you need to do that, step away and really appreciate your collections for your sake, not other people's. The community has changed a lot in 19 years, and one thing I learned over that time is that you can't live in the past...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »
Kim was always very protective about her site, and to try and take any kind of control from her to run it would be disrespectful in my opinion. We'd be doing it for the sake of our nostalgia, not considering her wishes. She's kept the site up this long where others have gone, and when she wasn't actively involved here. We don't know the reasons behind her decision, so we shouldn't assume that we have the right to try and overrule it.

On another note, if DV went live in 1997, the DV printouts I have from 98 are really early. I wonder when in 1997. I also wonder if I still have the original printouts that I took from the library in summer 97 or if I junked them (probably the latter).

It makes me realise that, if I had gone onto a library PC to find MLP in January or February instead of July or August, it might not have been there, and everything might have been different. I always assumed it had been there at least a year before I got online...but I guess that's an additional bittersweet thing for me. I was there almost at its start, and now, almost 20 years on, I see its end. Whatever my personal frustrations at times with information issues and updates, I really do feel it is the end of a huge era in the pony world.

I also think that Kim has the right to be 'just a fan' again, as she put it. Sometimes you need to do that, step away and really appreciate your collections for your sake, not other people's. The community has changed a lot in 19 years, and one thing I learned over that time is that you can't live in the past...

You and I got online at about the same time. I think I first got internet back in 1997, I don't really think it was earlier than that but it could have been later, maybe 1998. I attended both pony polooza and I think they were in 1999 and 2000, so I would have been online before that and I think it must have been 97 for me as well.

Dream Valley was the first pony site I found and the only reason I got internet back then was because I met a pony collector at a flea market and she told me people buy/sell/trade ponies online. So DV I'm pretty sure was probably the first place I found/went online.

Back then DV had a chat room and I used the chatroom, like many of us did, to communicate with other collectors. I don't really remember using many other pony sites that were around back then. The only other one that comes to mind was the trading post but I don't remember when that was originally formed/created.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SoSoftSurprise

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
Wow, end of an era for me, too.
I found this site when my family first got internet and I discovered I wasn't the only crazy person who kept their ponies from childhood. I remember nights of just poring over the information!
Fond memories for me.  :blush:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
I loved that site, I remember going to it a lot when I found ponies again!

Offline pinkaurora

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
The end of dream valley?!
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
I have obviously been inactive in the way of collecting for some time. Sad, I know being an adult sucks some times. I tried to look up the collecting guide site my little pony dream valley only to find it no longer exists

[merging with existing thread in PC ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:19:02 PM by Kiwi »

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • May the Force be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
What the hay?! I loved this site, so sad to see it go. :(  I tried to visit it the other day. No other site like it, that's what brought me here, to the MLP Arena. :( 
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2017, 02:49:35 AM »

Very sad to see it go, it was the first site that got me into collecting but as others have said, it sadly didnt keep up with changes and better websites have come along :-(

Has anyone got downloaded versions of the checklists from the site? The G1 checklisys were really good and Id love to have softcopy versions of them

Thanks, Jem
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal