collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can a pony fade from lamp-light?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Can a pony fade from lamp-light?
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »
I don't have shelves for my ponies right now so at the moment they're all over my floor, amp, cd shelves and other places. They've claimed like 1/4 of my room. Anyway, there's a lamp on the cd shelf, not very bright, and due to lack of space I have some ponies right under it. Just like two, and some customs which are off to the side so they're not in DIRECT light. The only ones who are in direct light are Sunset Shimmer and Lily Blossom i think her name is, the purple G4 with yellow hair... Anyway, I'm curious if them being there is bad for them. I really like them both and would rather not have faded heads or whatever.

Thanks. :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can a pony fade from lamp-light?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:47:20 AM »
Not sure if the light would affect them as its the UV from natural light that tends to do the damage but you might want to be more worried about heat

I think heat can encourage the plastic to break down

Jem  :)
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:09:05 AM »
I was just wondering this myself! I've been getting paranoid about my fading-pink G1s that are higher on the shelves and closer to the lightbulbs.
Has anyone noticed fading from regular lightbulbs?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:24:42 AM »
I was just wondering this myself! I've been getting paranoid about my fading-pink G1s that are higher on the shelves and closer to the lightbulbs.
Has anyone noticed fading from regular lightbulbs?
I don't think you have much to fear.. I use Daylight bulbs in my room and I have one G1 that I know has fading pink. My Steamer (whose mane was already faded when I got him) still had the fully pink tail.. He's been sitting on my shelf for a long time and where the light is actually hitting his tail has yet to fade.. while the BnG Ringlets I have in my window where very little sun comes though.. her pink in her mane has faded...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »
Actually yes they will fade - but it will take a long time and need directed and pretty unlimited exposure.

It is the UV in light which causes fading; the worst culprit for this is sunlight of course, then incandescent and fluorescent unnatural lights. But the latter two produce only a teeny tiny amount of UV [other wise they would be unsafe of course :P] The only real light source which does not is LED - thats the only thing which wont issue UV and therefore wont fade something.

Black Curtains did a great experiment once with pink fading hair which actually showed how unnatural light hardly did anything to a fading pink hair colour.

So while it does fade things over time, its such a small amount I honestly dont think its something to worry about.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
I got worried about the same thing as far as indoor lighting - I just set up an all glass side-top-front display case and have some fading pink hair ponies who are NOT faded in there... my curtain blocks the direct light but lets the ambiance of the light in a little bit, and I try to keep the ceiling light off as much as possible. I remember seeing the results of Black Curtains experiment, I was very interesting! :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal