collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"  (Read 13449 times)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
The only time my kids were scared was watching The Princess and the Frog.  And good grief, that voodoo dude scared me too!  But they love The Last Unicorn and have watched most Disney/Pixar/Bluth movies just fine.

But I agree - you need to be aware of the particular sensitivities of your own kids, and try to screen accordingly.

I think though I'll wait to see The Good Dinosaur on video.  I really don't like his design.  I realize Pixar was going for simple, but to be honest he looks super boring for a main character and his anatomy looks weird when he's running.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur \"shouldn\'t be watched by anyone under the age of 15\"
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »

Frozen is rated PG, not G.  ;)

My bad!  :biggrin:  But still, both their parents die when their ship sinks.  It's tragic, but like most Disney movies, that isn't the focus of the film so kids generally move on quickly to the next part of the story.  Kids remember Marshmallow (the big snow monster that only has two scenes--okay, three if you count the end of the credits) more than the fact that the King and Queen drowned.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
A bit OT, but I enjoy seeing all the Don Bluth love. He's my mom's first cousin. :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »

Oh, Justin.... swoon... (if I were a rat, of course  :P)

I know, right!?  And Disney's Robin Hood...  What a fox!  ;)

Ba dum ting!

Lol!!! And ahhhh yes - Robin! Coincidentally my fav Disney film!! (Prince John is also a fab villain!)   :lol: :lol:  Those dashing animal heroes.....  :faint:

A bit OT, but I enjoy seeing all the Don Bluth love. He's my mom's first cousin. :)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »
What about The Last Unicorn?  The harpy, anyone?  Holy cow.  She's terrifying.  Or the old 1970s animated Hobbit?

The tree with boobs freaked me out more than anything in that movie. Just...why?

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:52 AM »
I feel like death and violence could be included in Children Movies since the world isn't always about hapiness. I was once scared too of several scenes of several movies but it can also be a good lesson If it's explained well. I feel like everything should be "All Happy" these days and I don't like that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur \"shouldn\'t be watched by anyone under the age of 15\"
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:26 AM »

Are you serious? How cool!

Post Merge: December 04, 2015, 07:10:09 AM

I feel like death and violence could be included in Children Movies since the world isn't always about hapiness. I was once scared too of several scenes of several movies but it can also be a good lesson If it's explained well. I feel like everything should be "All Happy" these days and I don't like that.

Violence and death have been there longer then the 80s. For example when the duckling from Tom n Jerry tried to commit suicide via getting eaten, or jumping in a well cuz he thought he was ugly.

Loony Tunes has always been extremely violent, just not the violent that make parents freak out. The difference between violence and gore is like the difference between Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat.

Droopy Dog, Casper, Silly Symphonies, old black n white Disney, dealt with death by sometimes having the characters turn into angels or even going down to H E Double Hockey Sticks.

They've always been there, it just depends on how its presented.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:11:06 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
im trying ot remember how old I was when watching land before time.

I want to say 6-8.

By that time I was fine and it was one of my favourite movies.

People get over protective and react on things that aren't worth reacting over. 

Guadge your kids.  If they are fine, they are fine.  Don't make that choice for them, because they will NEVER forgive you for it.

My god, if my parents never let me see lion king..or heck, the first power ranger movie..or the 3 ninjas. 

Tell me, are these same parents going ot let their kids see Star Wars when that hits theatres in a few weeks?

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
I have three small children.  I agree that there is nothing in the movie that is too scary to watch.  My youngest is four and he watched it just fine.  What I have a problem with is what some of you have already voiced.  WHY does someone always have to die in Disney films???  I have made the mistake a few times of not doing my research beforehand and dealing with tears in the theatre.  The worst ones so far have been The Princess and the Frog when the firefly dies and Big Hero 6 when the brother AND Big Hero 6 end up dying.  Now, I won't go to any Disney movie without reading the reviews beforehand and preparing my kids for the death.  I don't necessarily think that children need to be sheltered from that stuff (helicopter parenting drives me crazy!) but I think preparing kids for scenes that may be disturbing to help them work through it is just good parenting.  The frustrating part for me is that these are the majority of the choices for kids if we want to take them to the movies.  That may be the real underlying feelings of those who are complaining.  There's no good alternative really.
When I was a kid, Mr. Hooper died on Sesame Street. As in, the actor was on the show, then he suddenly died and they worked it into the plot to teach kids about death (especially sudden, unexpected death). It's a very important lesson to learn because as you go through life there are many chances that people you know will die. Suddenly. I don't know if Disney has that lesson specifically in mind when they create their stories, but I think that the death of a character is a really good way to help kids prepare for the inevitable deaths of real loved ones. And when the real life event happens, parents don't always have a chance to sit down with their kids and have a talk about the meaning of death. It just happens. So I guess what I'm saying here is that death is a necessary part of children's movies and tv shows.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 05:51:34 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here, but I'm curious, why is the Land Before Time considered scary? I saw it when I was very young and was just fine. Or am I just not remembering the movie right?
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
Oh I'm so jealous. I have such a strong passion for animation and he's a huge inspiration to me!

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here, but I'm curious, why is the Land Before Time considered scary? I saw it when I was very young and was just fine. Or am I just not remembering the movie right?

The fight that caused Littlefoot's mothers death and just sharpteeth scenes in general were probably a little frightening to younger kids. That was my favorite movies as a kid so I wasn't bothered by it, but I can see why some kids my be upset by it.

I just got home from seeing the good dinosaur. Lots of curious kids asking questions about situations in the movie, one crier (but it wasn't in an emotional scene / one they may not have been old enough to understand so it was likely for other reasons), and from what I could see no one had to be taken out of the theater. Pixar and Disney are known for not being afraid to show children death or situations that can be very scary and difficult to go through and both were present in the film. It's up to the parents to decide if they think their child is ready to witness this in a film (research should always be done beforehand). It's a natural part of life (something else show well in this movie with the man vs nature trope). There was also a few adult jokes thrown in like always. It's definitely not inappropriate for young children but just like with many movies (especially pixar ones) there's some things they probably won't understand as well as older kids. I really did like this film a lot, I wouldn't mind seeing it again or purchasing it when it's released for home media  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »

The Land Before Time came out when I was 7. I never had a problem with it either. I think the "scary" is referring to Sharp Tooth trying to eat Littlefoot and the gang. And maybe Littlefoot's mother dying.

sailorstitch

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
Maybe its just my experience but as a kid my little sister and I would laugh hilariously at drunk/drugged people in cartoons. And we are five years apart. I don't even remember my parents having a huge drug talk with us, the movies pretty much explained it. If you drink or take drugs you will act like an idiot and that just wasn't attractive to us. :P Land Before Time, Brave Little Toaster, Watership Down, those were scary movies! I remember crying a little during those movies but it wasn't too bad. Though for halloween my friends were all suggesting scary movies to watch and when I suggested Brave Little Toaster no one wanted to go through that again! I just watched the Last Unicorn for the first time last week, now that was freaking dark! (Also very lovely and its something I want to see again)

I think that parents should vet out movies before their kids see them, especially if they have very sensitive kids. My parents have friends that see every kids movie in theaters twice, once without their kids and then once with them. But it seems like a very vocal minority is going to make parents afraid of letting their kids experience anything.
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 02:12:57 AM »
I got a flashback. Anyone else seen Silverfang? It's an anime about wild dogs. It's really violent, bloody and full of death. Back in the 80's it was in the kids section at the videorental and I watched it when I was 4. Akakabuto (a huge killer bear) scared me a lot, but today it's one of my fondest memories because of the context of how and with who I saw it. There were no parents in the room, but when my brother told me he would kill Akakabuto if he came near me in my room it made me feel safe. No nightmares.

Parents are funny btw.. this summer I came into an argument with a father who got angry when his five year old daughter would not be let in to Jurassic World (rated 11 here). I was the mean old (!!!!?) lady who destroyed her summer with not letting her see the dinosaurmovie.. and then there are parents who think an animated kids movie like this should be rated 15. Some times parents do make sense.. but not in cases like these.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 02:40:13 AM »
Heck... I survived Courage the Cowardly dog :P THAT was some scary stuff.

And I agree that The Good Dinosaur can't be as scary as Land Before Time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal