collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it still necessary to have extra anti-virus software on your computer?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
I think I need to get rid of Sophos now, but I don't know what to replace it with. Any ideas?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
All I have is Win10 security and it does a good job. Virus definitions are kept updated and it can quarantine and remove like any other software. I do use AdBlock+ and have Chrome security too.

I think it depends on your OS and where you go online. Some sites affiliated with certain things (like free stuff - free wallpapers, fonts, brushes, etc.) are more prone to have malware. I find having AdBlock+ filters out 99% of ads which can contain viruses and stuff. And Chrome will warn you when you're entering an unsafe address.

So, you don't have to have backup for viruses but you still need protection from other sources.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Probably not. windows has a lot of built in security now. but i agree adding an add blocker to your browser helps a lot. i also find sites load faster when i use an ad blocker. I started using the Brave browser. Which is just Chrome with some added privacy features. also checking for https on websites where you enter any passwords/personal information of any kind is important. usually the browser will have a little lock next to the website address.

also keep regular backups of photos/documents etc. just in case. i use dropbox but i think windows comes with onedrive. also an external hard drive back up is probably a good idea.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
All I can say is Malwarebytes and Combo Cleaner did wonders for keeping my Mac clean and safe. That is, until I started forgetting to routinely run them and then foolishly tried to download a browser that can play old flash games so I could relive the neopets glory days. My computer almost immediately slowed down and then completely crashed. I've been living without a computer for several months now and my repair guy says everything is lost. So yes, virus attacks can still happen if you're doing silly things - and who knows, they might even happen if you're not doing silly things. So I'd say there's still a need for routine antivirus scans just in case!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I am my own virus protection!

I definitely agree having an adblocker helps. I use Ublock on Firefox.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Thanks all. I am running Windows 10 and use Firefox with Duck Duck Go and APB. I have a hard drive backup that I use around every 3 months. Sounds like I should be OK if I can just weed out all the Sophos stuff and delete it. I think my Dad used to keep me up to date with these things!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal