collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Trying to re-flock an mlp  (Read 335 times)

Offline MintWhistler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Trying to re-flock an mlp
« on: March 27, 2023, 09:45:25 AM »
so I recently bought a g1 wind whistler my favorite g1, but for a long time I was afraid to by one because no one really knows how to fix the flocking so they just de-flock them, but I really like the flocking, so I decided to do as much research  :work: has I could and learn how to fix them,

so far I've learned, that no one in the mlp fandom knows to properly apply flocking it always comes out look weird and matted, but I remember that in the 70s hasbro had flocked GI joes and you know what the GI Joe boys actually do know how to apply flocking, so after watching quite a few videos I learned that in the factory flocking is applied using an electro static flocking machine a process which can be replicated with a flocking gun which I could buy off Amazon,

:sad: unfortunately that was the easy part, the flocking itself proved to be harder, turns out flocking comes in several length and a lot of the listings I looked at did not list the length, so I'm still Working on that, also I bought the wrong glue I googled what type to use and it said PVA, so I looked up what that meant and it said

" Polyvinyl acetate (PVA, PVAc, poly(ethenyl ethanoate)), commonly known as wood glue, PVA glue, white glue, carpenter's glue, school glue, or Elmer's glue in the US, is a widely available adhesive used for porous materials like wood, paper, and cloth "

so I bought Elmer's glue all glue, it was a bad choice as soon has I tried to reattach the head to the body it started to crack and come off ,so don't use that one, also the flocking I bought was too short, but I intended to keep trying until I get as close to th original as I can, I'll keep you posted,

:accomplished: on the other hand I was smart enough to test the flocking on a g4 fluttershy, and not de-flocking wind whistler so I could use her good flocking patchs as a reference for what it's supposed to look like,

:whoa: oh and if your pony as tinsel in her hair, DO NOT put to tape directly onto her hair, it will pull the color right off of the tinsel instead leave a buffer of some sort like a paper towel in between the tape and the ponies hair,

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to re-flock an mlp
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 10:44:00 AM »
I've seen people do some beautiful reflock jobs. Hold on a moment.

https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=401438.0
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:46:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:30 PM »
ooooh fun!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 08:46:12 PM »
Pandabear_chan does a lot of flocking.  They might have some suggestions for what kind of glue/flocking to use. (The link is to an older thread that has several examples of their work.)

https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=402709.0
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:48:27 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 06:15:22 AM »
Pandabear_chan does a lot of flocking.  They might have some suggestions for what kind of glue/flocking to use. (The link is to an older thread that has several examples of their work.)

Flocking is a very expensive process of simple trial and error. There're some members who have mastered the technique yet (in my eyes) including steffers29madds (member here) and Blazenheartcustoms (on IG). As it is still a new technique how to reflock ponies to perfection, most people who can do it, won't talk about what special things they use, especially if the research process was very cost- and time intense.

For me the same - I tried about 10 glues and still didn't find the perfect one yet.

If you look, you need to find one that is water-resistant, dries transparently, is UV safe (no yellowing over time), nearly odorless and has a medium viscosity so you can apply a really thick layer where the flocking fibers will stand in when you work with the flocking machine.
And yes the flocking comes in different lengths as well as densities - I found my perfect match in UK.

Good luck on the process.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 11:23:50 PM by pandabear_chan »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:44:34 AM »
Look for model building sites. People that make table top models use grass flocking for their bases. So they will have materials and you might find the right glue. I've looked into this myself, but since static applicators can be expensive (thought there are cheap ones out there) and I don't really make Hasbro ponies, I decided to take my money elsewhere, but I watched a lot of grass flocking videos beforehand.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:46:43 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »

Flocking is a very expensive process of simple trial and error. There're some members who have mastered the technique (in my eyes) yet including steffers29madds (member here) and Blazenheartcustoms (on IG). As it is still a new technique how to reflock ponies to perfection, most people won't talk about what special things they use, especially if the research process was very cost- and time intense.

For me the same - I tried about 10 glues and still didn't find the perfect one yet.

If you look you need to find one that is water-resistant, dries transparently, is UV safe (no yellowing over time) and has a medium viscosity so you can apply a really thick layer where the flocking fibers will stand in when you work with the flocking machine.
And yes the flocking comes in different lengths as well as densities - I found my perfect match in UK.

Good luck on the process.

You forgot to mention the mess :wow: and how flocking was not to be done in the house, but the basement!

I remember discussing the trials and tribulations of flocking and all the different things you used and tried.

I will say this, you nailed it, I adore my So Soft, Newborn, Baby Cotton Candy she is still as fresh as the day I opened her.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:19:50 PM »

You forgot to mention the mess :wow: and how flocking was not to be done in the house, but the basement!

I remember discussing the trials and tribulations of flocking and all the different things you used and tried.

I will say this, you nailed it, I adore my So Soft, Newborn, Baby Cotton Candy she is still as fresh as the day I opened her.

Love pkw xxx

Yes that will be part of the process too - finding a place where you can mess around easily, getting enough daylight there to see where the glue is missing on the pony, buying the right clothes and safety devices (like a special mask with filters used for heavy work) because these fibers will go everywhere, etc. pp

Sadly with the right glue you can become pretty frustrated over the time but that is part of the trial and error process.

I'm happy you adore your Teeny Tiny Cotton Candy - she was my very first attempt at working with an electrostatic gun.

Offline MintWhistler

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 08:00:38 AM »

Love pkw xxx

Yes that will be part of the process too - finding a place where you can mess around easily, getting enough daylight there to see where the glue is missing on the pony, buying the right clothes and safety devices (like a special mask with filters used for heavy work) because these fibers will go everywhere, etc. pp

Sadly with the right glue you can become pretty frustrated over the time but that is part of the trial and error process.

I'm happy you adore your Teeny Tiny Cotton Candy - she was my very first attempt at working with an electrostatic gun.

I don't suppose you could tell me what kind of flocking and glue you use. I look at your pictures, and they're so pretty and a lot closer to the original than what I've gotten so far.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 08:15:14 AM »
Who was it that made their own static gun? It was someone on here.

ETA: I looked and you can make or buy static flocking guns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:22:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 02:00:04 AM »
I don't suppose you could tell me what kind of flocking and glue you use. I look at your pictures, and they're so pretty and a lot closer to the original than what I've gotten so far.

As for the glue I'm currently working with gorilla glue (the slightly yellowish-transparent one) but am not 100% happy with it. It has the right consistency, is waterproof and quite odorless but it's not UV safe and yellows pretty quickly on light colored ponies. As for the flocking I'm sorry to say no indeed.

Offline MintWhistler

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 08:29:38 AM »

As for the glue I'm currently working with gorilla glue (the slightly yellowish-transparent one) but am not 100% happy with it. It has the right consistency, is waterproof and quite odorless but it's not UV safe and yellows pretty quickly on light colored ponies. As for the flocking I'm sorry to say no indeed.

ok thank you for your help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal