collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
Is it common to depict a thundercloud like that though? With the lightning bolts sticking out of the cloud from both sides?

Wouldn't be the first time Mountain Boy stuff weirdly ended up in G1 retro stuff.  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That image amuses me so much but asks so many questions xD.

However that is licensed stuff, not hasbro themselves, so it's a bit different. We had shirts here with Windy with pink glittery hair and Princess Amethyst with rainbow hair so *shrug*.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
However that is licensed stuff, not hasbro themselves, so it's a bit different. We had shirts here with Windy with pink glittery hair and Princess Amethyst with rainbow hair so *shrug*.

Hasbro dictates what can be done with the MLP license. they aren't going to approve something that they believe poorly reflects on the brand.

:3 That said, that is a cute lil pony.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »

Hasbro dictates what can be done with the MLP license. they aren't going to approve something that they believe poorly reflects on the brand.

Yeah, but they're not going to care if the pony is not quite accurate to 30 years ago.

Or if they do, someone didn't get the memo, because we also had white Moonstone on shirts here >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »

Yeah, but they're not going to care if the pony is not quite accurate to 30 years ago.

Or if they do, someone didn't get the memo, because we also had white Moonstone on shirts here >.>

Oh I agree. And they don't care (and I personally don't either, variations are cool to me).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
Interesting. I've had people tell me numerous times in irritating fashion, "no, she's based on SPARKLER, look at her CUTIE MARK"
I take it the people saying that were mostly bronies :P
Yeah, for the longest time I had the thought that Rarity was technically a mix of:
-G1 Glory: Design
-G1 Sparkler: Symbol
-G3 Rarity: Name
-G3 Rainbow Dash: Personality

Glad to see Hasbro putting both G1 inspos there. Glory deserved credit where it was due.

Maybe that's why I love G4 Rarity so much. She is such a perfect mix :lol: I'll pretend she also got some of G2 Ivy in her with her love of salons, spas and her mane.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »
-shrug- It just seems too specific to be a coincidence, to me. I mean, the bolts are the exact same shape and size, from the looks of things, plus like Lilja said it's sort of unusual to have the bolts sticking out from *both* sides?

The symbols are G1 styled, so I really don't see the argument against Hasbro researching G1 ponies with symbols containing those elements (cloud + thunderbolt) and patterning her after that. It makes perfect sense to me that they'd do that - plus I've heard of professional companies checking facts on fan wikis and such before, it's not unheard of.

But whatever.

I've never seen that Thundercloud art before, how cute :lovey: He makes a nice girl.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
Perhaps one of the designers had Thundercloud as a childhood pony.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
IMO the lightning bolts are inspired by Firefly's symbol.  Some of her toys had thinner lightning bolts than others and Rainbow Dash's reminds me of the "thin lightning" ones.  If you think about how long Firefly's lightning bolts are, the bolts on Rainbow Dash are about the same length--with a cloud over the middle part.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
IMO the lightning bolts are inspired by Firefly's symbol.  Some of her toys had thinner lightning bolts than others and Rainbow Dash's reminds me of the "thin lightning" ones.  If you think about how long Firefly's lightning bolts are, the bolts on Rainbow Dash are about the same length--with a cloud over the middle part.

That makes sense to me too. The cloud seems weird given the Firefly association but as it's a constant in Dash;s symbol in G3 and G4 it does make sense to keep it. So logically stick them in the cloud. But it doesn't really matter if they did or didn't use Lightning for inspiration. It's not going to change the fact Lightning is a long dead G1 pony Hasbro aren't interested in and thus he won't ever get mentioned.

...That said it does intrigue me that G4 has a character called Sunburst. Is that a coincidence I wonder...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
Love the art, so pretty! It makes me want to customize... :art:

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:11 PM »
Pinkie's artwork just has an error. They forgot to color that eyewhite in.

What the heck at "the original Mane Six"? They were just the first ever set. Sorry, but I rebuke this term when it comes to G1 :lol:

A little sad there is no love for G3 inspiration. RD and Pinkie got their looks from G3 and Rarity got her personality from G3 RD. I also laughed at "Applejack inspired by Applejack".

I felt the same way! WHen I saw "Applejack inspired by Applejack" I fully expected to see "Pinkie Pie inspired by Pinkie Pie." But ... Surprise? G4 Pinkie's personality might have come from Surprise, but her looks were totally inspired by G3 Pinkie. There's no reason to erase G3 inspiration, they are already are putting out G3 toys they claim as "retro." :P
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 12:22:31 AM »
Pinkie's artwork just has an error. They forgot to color that eyewhite in.

What the heck at "the original Mane Six"? They were just the first ever set. Sorry, but I rebuke this term when it comes to G1 :lol:

A little sad there is no love for G3 inspiration. RD and Pinkie got their looks from G3 and Rarity got her personality from G3 RD. I also laughed at "Applejack inspired by Applejack".

I felt the same way! WHen I saw "Applejack inspired by Applejack" I fully expected to see "Pinkie Pie inspired by Pinkie Pie." But ... Surprise? G4 Pinkie's personality might have come from Surprise, but her looks were totally inspired by G3 Pinkie. There's no reason to erase G3 inspiration, they are already are putting out G3 toys they claim as "retro." :P

To be fair, Pinkie Pie's character is also nothing like Surprise's. We don't see a lot of animated Surprise, and I admit being influenced by comic renditions as well, but from Surprise being bubbly to Pinkie Pie being random and crazy and completely unfunny comic relief is a big jump for me. They're not the same species either, and as you say, the look is from G3...to me the only link is balloons. :/

THough I actually find the character links between G4 and G1 mostly nonexistent so I guess it probably doesn't matter. I think it's more one single thread from each G1 character was taken and exploded into the entirety of the G4 pony's personality, thus there's something of a disconnect between them overall. (Except AJ whose character is the polar opposite, basically, of G1 AJ).

The retro G3 thing makes me wonder what Hasbro's stance is on G3 right now. The retro M6 set are very G3 influenced in the body at least...and if the retro G3 are Hasbro then it suggests they may not have discarded the line after all - but then, as you say, why not mention the influence from G3?

It makes me feel like this page is meant for brony fans/fans of G4 who might get into G1 and G3 is notoriously unpopular in that fandom. I'm not talking about the crazy brony fans, I'm talking about the general G4 fans. The use of M6 for the first six ponies also suggests it's for brony purposes. It's not for kids...most kids don't care what old thing their toy was inspired by.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 04:09:18 AM »
The thing that needs to be taken into account when talking about which G1 pony inspired which Mane Six (and a couple of others) G4 pony is that they aren't just inspired by G1, they are inspired by Lauren's interpretation of G1 (i.e. how she personally played with those ponies.)

So, the way G4 Pinkie Pie acts in early seasons is likely the character Lauren gave Surprise when she was younger, rather than how any canon version of Surprise acted.  Some of the "Concept Six" kind of fit who they became, but it could be coincidence if Lauren only focused on the toyline when she was younger, but yeah if they don't fit the personality of the G1 characters they were inspired by, it's because it didn't come from any of the canon versions of them, but one person's personal playtime with them.

It would be nice if the G3 side of things were acknowledged, even if it wasn't part of the original creation plan, since the G1s themselves have a loose connection based on what I said.  The G3s inspired them only in name, appearance, or both depending on what pony we're looking at, but if they had allowed Lauren to use the G1 ponies she wanted, it would have been exactly the same - the inspiration would been name and appearance and that's it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:51:34 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 05:14:52 AM »
Can someone post the pictures from that hasbro.com page? It insists on redirecting me to the Norwegian version of the page, which uh, doesn't exist :rolleyes:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »
Can someone post the pictures from that hasbro.com page? It insists on redirecting me to the Norwegian version of the page, which uh, doesn't exist :rolleyes:

Here we go :D Let me know if you still have problems seeing them
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal