collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do all Vinyl collectibles from Funko have a poor quality?  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Do all Vinyl collectibles from Funko have a poor quality?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
Some are flawed for sure a few of the waves in 2013 were pretty bad qc however they have improved like they were in the beginning. All of mine are pretty much flawless with maybe a minor flaw on a couple, because I buy upgrades and pick out the best ones. If you are a serious enough collector it's not that hard to get ones in great shape! They are so well made and the most accurate G4 ponies you can buy at that price that are hasbro approved funko made.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Unfortunately mass market + low selling point = poor quality. And Funko are no different than any other manufacturer. I see a lot of complaints about them here and else where; whether it be tails falling off or poor paint jobs :( Completely sucks unfortunately. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
They actually do have a low sell point for what they are- that hard plastic is expensive, and they are a small company. They aren't like Mattel or Hasbro who can actually reduce production costs just by sheer overwhelming volume.

I've noticed the earlier ponies are REALLY flawed- IE Lyra/Dash/Muffin/Octavia/Pinkie

while the more recent ponies (which are actually quite a bit more expensive) seem a little better (they still have glue streaks but have better lined up eyes-  ie the Princesses, Discord, and I think my lot of Big Macs all looked pretty good too.

Of course the princesses have their own issues with the tails falling out- but I consider that an easy fix.

Originally I was going to fix the eyes of my wonky ponies myself, and Dash's sloppy hair- but I got a bit lazy...

I will agree that the MINIs look quite perfect.  I am very tempted to stop collecting the big ones entirely and get only the minis- but of course I have come so far now...

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I have maybe two or three ponies that have noticeable flaws, but nothing worth complaining about, imo.  I generally give Funko a pass for the mistakes because they're not a huge company and they pump out a TON of figures every year.  It's also why I don't complain so much when there's a lag between pony releases.

And hey, they went back and fixed some mistakes (Dashie's eyes, :muffin: with the right amount of bubbles), so at least there's that.

That said, I remember most of the Funko figures I saw at TRU were very poor in quality, including the boxes.  Even now, I see some there with smashed and torn boxes, and the pony inside just looks miserable.  That's probably why they never flew off the shelves at TRU... I have to wonder what was going on that they look like that and yet they STILL put them out for sale.

This is also why I prefer to get my ponies in person instead of ordering them online.  I've done pre-orders with Hot Topic lately, but only because I've yet to have a quality issue with my ponies from them.  Other than that, I'd probably stray away from ordering Funko products online.

Oh, and I agree with Galactica's post about the earlier ponies being the most flawed.  Those were the ones I had problems with.

The Mystery Minis are great, though!  I just wish they did them like they do with their other Mystery Minis lines and made them look different from the regular vinyls (mostly the poses) and made them in regular colors instead of black.  That would be awesome!
Instagram / Want List

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »
I think finding one in perfect condition would be pretty rare.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:15:05 PM by Majesty »

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
If you are a serious enough collector it's not that hard to get ones in great shape!

You clearly don't live in a country that doesn't sell Funko ponies in stores. Not to mention that import costs and shipping makes them a lot more expensive. At that point you can't blaim people for wondering if these things are really worth it.
Personally, i only still get the characters i really like.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
If you are a serious enough collector it's not that hard to get ones in great shape!

You clearly don't live in a country that doesn't sell Funko ponies in stores. Not to mention that import costs and shipping makes them a lot more expensive. At that point you can't blaim people for wondering if these things are really worth it.

I do the same.  Most of mine I ordered on amazon, except one I got at F.Y.E., one I got at TRU when they still had them and two I think at The Toy Vault.  I don't check every single box to point out the flaws.  I just check to make sure the one I'm buying isn't broken or something is seriously wrong with it.  When I order from amazon it's a situation where you get what you get and hope you don't get one in the worst shape.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:17:59 PM by Majesty »

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to extremely minor QC issues. Unless it's glaringly awful or totally detracts from the figure, I feel like I'm being too nitpicky. I'm not a funko expert or avid collector so many of the overall issues I'm a bit unaware of. Personally the only Funko I've ever seen with consistently awful issues is Spitfire. Every single one I've ever seen have always misprinted eyes.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »

Additionally, not everyone has the time/money/desire to buy dozens of each character just to find one with fewer flaws than the others. 

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »

Additionally, not everyone has the time/money/desire to buy dozens of each character just to find one with fewer flaws than the others.

Very very true.

I guess we should be glad that we're able to at least go in a store and inspect the figures in-person.  I honestly never thought about how that's pretty much impossible if you don't live in the US.  >_<

I also have to agree with Shimmer Mist, Spitfire seemed to be the worst of the bunch.  Then again, most ponies I've seen at TRU were/are terrible looking, and she was exclusive to there until just a few months ago.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
mine have really light flaws, if any, the larger ones do have a cheap feel to them though

the Pop figures are a little nicer though they look so much better in their boxes :B  personally I find the proportion... uncanny I think it works so much better on humanoid characters and some dragons

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »

Yea, not everyone has a store near them that sells certain products, it's not fair to blame the collector for a companies bad quality controls.

Maybe funko should be a serious enough seller that they're items are not so sloppy.

Blaming the collector for bad production, that's a big fat excuse to the company IMO.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »

Yea, not everyone has a store near them that sells certain products, it's not fair to blame the collector for a companies bad quality controls.

Maybe funko should be a serious enough seller that they're items are not so sloppy.

Blaming the collector for bad production, that's a big fat excuse to the company IMO.

Right should have said if you live near walmart, hot topic, toysrus, barnes, comic stores than its not that hard. I wasn't thinking international. However I see tons of the ponies when they are released and rarely do I see some with really bad flaws. These are high quality figures for a great price, to buy accurate figures like these from custom are like hundreds, yes I wish QC was better but I do think they have improved!

The worst two were Spitfire and Bon Bons original release at TRU they had the worst QC out of any. However after they re-released then and the ones you see now are just fine!

Pinkie Pie, Lyra, DJ, and Octavia had some paint issues especially around the eyes, however I don't think they were all that bad, I only ordered like 5 of each and all were not that bad except one DJ with a broken tail, which I returned for a new one.

As for all the other waves I would say the majority are just fine and quality has improved a lot. Big Mac, Daring Do, Discord, Rarity, the Princesses, etc I think are very good out of all the ones I have seen very minor paint issues on a few, not hard at all to find good ones if you have stores that sell them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:46:21 PM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:01 AM »
Considering the simplicity of the pony design (not counting Luna and Celestia), I don't think they are high quality overall for the price - the consistency is too hit and miss. The good ones are good but the bad ones are terrible. I'd honestly prefer they just middle grounded on quality and binned the bad ones/sold them as seconds for Taobao,etc. I've bought cheaper figures of the same size but with more complicated designs that have fewer paint issues/mould flaws/glue spills/etc.

I actually decided to finally debox two of my three today, and Lyra is worse than I remember, and she was the best-looking one I saw! Twilight is in much better overall shape, however a lot of the plastic, especially on her wings, is covered in marks and scars. I could forgive a few small issues, but on the bad ones there are a lot of noticeable flaws, and it's a shame because the moulds themselves are gorgeous. The newer ponies do seem to have improved, though' my POP Trixie and Celestia are near perfect, which gives me hope for the future releases, at least!
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »

Right should have said if you live near walmart, hot topic, toysrus, barnes, comic stores than its not that hard. I wasn't thinking international. However I see tons of the ponies when they are released and rarely do I see some with really bad flaws.

You missed the part about time/desire.

There are a lot of people living in the USA who don't even live close to all these stores. They may not have the TIME to waste gas and drive from store to store looking for a decent figure.

And then there are people who DO live by all these stores, but have a busy life due to work/family. They can't even drop all of those stores to find the one with the least flaws.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal