collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you display your ponies?  (Read 254 times)

Offline sentimental

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • stuck in a utopia of sentimental androids !
    • View Profile
How do you display your ponies?
« on: May 31, 2022, 02:01:21 AM »
Hey everyone! c:

I'm realizing as I keep going with the hobby (as well as my doll, plushie and figure collecting hobbies...) that I'm very rapidly
running out of space in my studio apartment, but also motivation! My girlfriend had to return to their home country for school
(we are unfortunately extremely long distance!) so my desire to take care of my space is at an all time high but my energy
an all time low!!

So! Out of curiosity, I'd love to see how everyone is displaying their collections and hear any tips for making said display look
nice and neat! I feel bad having all my ponies in boxes and really want to display the girls, and maybe even mix up the shelves
and have ponies and dolls displayed together somehow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
please call me senti! ♡ my instagrammy g3 wishlistsig artwork by me

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: How do you display your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:18:27 AM »
My ponies are all in boxes too. I bought shoe racks for them! I thought they would make a nice display. They are easy to put together too and you can skip a level for taller ponies/dolls/plushies. I think they will also making dusting easier. The only thing is they are very lightweight, so when I get mine set up I'm going to attach them to the wall with a screw and wire.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 07:56:20 AM »
mine are displayed on Ikea Billy shelves. they were in boxes for quite a while though. i need to get some risers so i can see them better.

some collectors group by color or pose. personally i organize roughly by year and group. this way i can easily see where i need set completers. since i'm in completionist mode again.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 11:28:37 AM »
My display is in a constant state of flux, especially my G1 ponies since they're right by my bed and get whatever new creature I bought thrown in with them for a bit.

My G1 are on risers slightly too short for them, so I arranged them roughly by color and just make sure they don't fall..

G3 by color too. There are more G3 in the next picture. G5 is just thrown on the shelf.

I got the two left shelves from the thrift store. I repainted the pink one. This is just Pegasus ponies (the most annoying to display because they want to fal off my risers) and various other...groups. 3D symbols, SLHs. It's a bit arbitrary but it really helped to free up space.

My G4 need to be readjusted. I had them arranged roughly by set and release order, with the 2010-11-12 brushables towards the front. The only ones that throw a wrench in this are the Alicorns being different sizes, so they were to the top right. I need to rearrange these guys!

I am usually on the lookout for more ways to display. Thrift stores, Restore especially, is a great place to get shelving on the cheap. I prefer wall shelves since you can still put stuff underneath for normal living, although most of the drawertopspace is reserved for collections now (such as my G4 Reboots, who are lookin' ugly and need to be set straight again.). Arranging by pose is usually the most beneficial to saving space, although if you have the freedom to arrange in other ways, that certainly helps. MIB and boxes always go towards the back to help me see the smaller objects of my collection more fully. My G4 risers were made out of cardboard and hot glue, and stand up pretty well, even though it looks messy!

Girlfriends make the best collection organizers, huh? When my GF (also long distance) comes to visit, she always rearranges my ponies a bit. :P She does instinctively look for boxes to help give different objects height and make sure they're all viewable. Maybe my Whiffies collection can give a more varied look at how to do this instead of risers? The differing heights definitely make it a bit more dynamic looking! (Ignore Gelatoni in the back. I need to find a better place for him :v)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline sentimental

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »
My ponies are all in boxes too. I bought shoe racks for them! I thought they would make a nice display. They are easy to put together too and you can skip a level for taller ponies/dolls/plushies. I think they will also making dusting easier. The only thing is they are very lightweight, so when I get mine set up I'm going to attach them to the wall with a screw and wire.

shoe racks is such a smart idea!! i've got skinny shelves I could stack them on too.
Maybe find some kinda crystals or something to weight them down "aesthetically", haha !

mine are displayed on Ikea Billy shelves. they were in boxes for quite a while though. i need to get some risers so i can see them better.

some collectors group by color or pose. personally i organize roughly by year and group. this way i can easily see where i need set completers. since i'm in completionist mode again.

I definitely am beginning to see that pose grouping is most efficient.... the G1s seem to work fine but even with post sorting my G3 girlies heads get in the way  :P
Ikea Billy shelves are SOOO cute!! I wish I had more room for another shelving unit. My room layout is a little funky, I'll post some pictures later after I clean up a
bit (it's finals week at my university so I've been living like a rat, lol!)

My G4 need to be readjusted. I had them arranged roughly by set and release order, with the 2010-11-12 brushables towards the front. The only ones that throw a wrench in this are the Alicorns being different sizes, so they were to the top right. I need to rearrange these guys!

I am usually on the lookout for more ways to display. Thrift stores, Restore especially, is a great place to get shelving on the cheap. I prefer wall shelves since you can still put stuff underneath for normal living, although most of the drawertopspace is reserved for collections now (such as my G4 Reboots, who are lookin' ugly and need to be set straight again.). Arranging by pose is usually the most beneficial to saving space, although if you have the freedom to arrange in other ways, that certainly helps. MIB and boxes always go towards the back to help me see the smaller objects of my collection more fully. My G4 risers were made out of cardboard and hot glue, and stand up pretty well, even though it looks messy!

Girlfriends make the best collection organizers, huh? When my GF (also long distance) comes to visit, she always rearranges my ponies a bit. :P She does instinctively look for boxes to help give different objects height and make sure they're all viewable. Maybe my Whiffies collection can give a more varied look at how to do this instead of risers? The differing heights definitely make it a bit more dynamic looking! (Ignore Gelatoni in the back. I need to find a better place for him :v)

YAAAAYYYY I love all the images of your collection!!!
Also a huge fan of floating shelves- I found two funky looking ones at Ross a couple months ago now and I've been using them. I REALLLLLLY need shelf risers, I might take a page out of your book and make some myself with cardboard and hot glue (with some spray paint, LOL!), because I really can't justify buying the number of risers I'm going to need for this collection.

Girlfriends really do make everything so much easier! So cute how she helps out around your collection. cx
The idea of stacking the whiffies on the boxed items actually is a great idea, I've got TONS of figurine boxes I keep around that need storage too.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 02:19:08 PM »
I’ll go ahead and show off my collection since I’m super proud of it! :P This room was originally just my pony room, but now it’s become my home office too, so it’s a little tight on space!

The big giant library wall is mostly filled with G1 ponies. The very top shelves have some other collections like new in box ponies, HQG1C ponies, G3 merch, and customs. The risers I have don’t fit G1 adults very well, so they are organized by color, and then from there however they will balance. A couple shelves have sets that are near complete like twinkle eyes, flutters, and so softs.

My G3 shelf is organized by color and pose. They are probably my most organized shelf haha!

This shelf has G4 ponies…. They are honestly the hardest for me to organize since there are so many different types of toys. These shelves have the more “adult” collectibles with molded hair up top, and then the lower shelves have blind bags, a “princess” shelf with the different releases of Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. The bottom shelf, which is hidden by my beanbag has different releases of the main 6.

This is my catch all bookcase….I put ponies here that have no other designated home. The top two shelves are for mini ponies and my other normal release G4s. Under that I have G4 seaponies, fakies, and G5. The G5 situation will look better soon, I hope! :p

Next to that I have a claw machine for my plushies (other than the build a bears who fit nice on top of the other shelves!)

And lastly my play sets and basic fun ponies hang in the closet

I know you are in a studio and can’t designate a whole room to your collection, but believe it or not I had this whole collection stuffed in my bedroom when I lived with my parents, so it’s not impossible! I just had the ponies packed closer together on the shelves with no risers. You can fit a lot of ponies in a bookcase if you want to lol! Floating shelves are also a great way to maximize your wall space, I had quite a few of those in the bedroom too.

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:39:55 PM by Minty_Magic »

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
Minty_Magic, a claw machine!  :whoa: Wow! I want that kind of machine too!  :cool:
Then when I turn 40, I’m going to hope my brother for a gift like this! :lol: (My brother has a company that restores pinball machines and arcade game machines)
:zzz:

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 04:59:55 PM »
I’ll go ahead and show off my collection since I’m super proud of it! :P This room was originally just my pony room, but now it’s become my home office too, so it’s a little tight on space!

The big giant library wall is mostly filled with G1 ponies. The very top shelves have some other collections like new in box ponies, HQG1C ponies, G3 merch, and customs. The risers I have don’t fit G1 adults very well, so they are organized by color, and then from there however they will balance. A couple shelves have sets that are near complete like twinkle eyes, flutters, and so softs.

My G3 shelf is organized by color and pose. They are probably my most organized shelf haha!

This shelf has G4 ponies…. They are honestly the hardest for me to organize since there are so many different types of toys. These shelves have the more “adult” collectibles with molded hair up top, and then the lower shelves have blind bags, a “princess” shelf with the different releases of Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. The bottom shelf, which is hidden by my beanbag has different releases of the main 6.

This is my catch all bookcase….I put ponies here that have no other designated home. The top two shelves are for mini ponies and my other normal release G4s. Under that I have G4 seaponies, fakies, and G5. The G5 situation will look better soon, I hope! :p

Next to that I have a claw machine for my plushies (other than the build a bears who fit nice on top of the other shelves!)

And lastly my play sets and basic fun ponies hang in the closet

I know you are in a studio and can’t designate a whole room to your collection, but believe it or not I had this whole collection stuffed in my bedroom when I lived with my parents, so it’s not impossible! I just had the ponies packed closer together on the shelves with no risers. You can fit a lot of ponies in a bookcase if you want to lol! Floating shelves are also a great way to maximize your wall space, I had quite a few of those in the bedroom too.

Hope this helps! :)

gosh your collection room looks like an entire store. that claw machine is such a cute idea i almost wanna try that myself :lol: amazing!!
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »
I need to get some shelves for mine. Mine are currently in a box in the closet.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline sentimental

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 03:55:55 PM »

Minty I cannot emphasize how much I adore your collection room!!
Those cases look WONDERFUL I love the jewelry store-type lighting you've got going on as well!

I'm also so impressed you somehow fit them into another single room- but it gives me determination  for my space!

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 10:37:06 PM »
Minty_Magic, the claw machine is a very neat idea. I absolutely love how you have the inside of your closet painted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal