collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help me match some G3 baits and hairs to some concepts?  (Read 210 times)

Marionette

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me match some G3 baits and hairs to some concepts?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:26 AM »
I'm a newbie customizer planning some G3 customs. I prefer the look of a pony's original plastic color to a painted or dyed one, so I'm trying to choose the best candidates to do mine and my friends' pony characters. I haven't seen most of the ponies I'm considering IRL to compare them, and I don't know which ponies are the most common/best to bait.

Thus, I was wondering if you all might have some input on the following ponies! I've also never ordered pony hair before, and the photos on Dollyhair and Retrodolls are a little small, so that makes it tougher to pick. Photos of customs using the baits I'm considering (unpainted, obviously) and the hairs I'm considering would also be awesome.

This thread is gonna be kinda long, sorry... I just have a lot of options and a lot of questions. xD

Nightmane:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My pony... yet the hardest to choose for. xD There are so many similar shades of blue hair and purple bodies. Picking one is murder! I could go slightly brighter/more saturated with her colors; I don't want to go duller/less saturated (so probably no DH Stormy Sky or RD Dewdrop as they're too grayed out).

Body: Personality-wise, she's shy, so I prefer a pose that isn't too outgoing. Diva is a no-go, and I dislike Donkey. Body shouldn't be too reddish. Considered baits are Lickity Split, Star Shimmer, Daisyjo, Tropical Delight (esp. II), and Wysteria (I or V). Am curious to whether Sweetsong (I or II) is more reddish or bluish as I've seen her look like either in different pictures. Sorta leaning toward Daisyjo overall.

Hair: Urgh... the hardest of all. I'm almost settled on DH Blueberry Muffin and DH Daiquari Ice, but my boyfriend suggested Arctic Frost for the lighter color -- which is supposed to be similar to Daquari but lighter. I just don't know if it's too light. RD Butterfly looks like it might be good for the dark color too, as does RD Delphinium (pricier, but if it looks accurate, I'd buy). Can you see my predicament? :yikes:

Renpony:

Body: Diva pose all the way. Renpony's concept is embodying my friend's "sheer unamused nature," and when I showed her a diva, she said it was "the perfect 'fed up with your ****' pose." xD Anyway, as you can see, she's a grayer shade of purple than Nightmane. Friend liked Tink-a-tink-a-too II well enough, and I know I have a Tink bait on the way, but I don't know which pose. I think Rainbow Swirl and Crystal Lake are pretty good matches too. Crystal Lake might be best -- is she common enough to bait?

Hair: Bright plum like woah. I'm thinking RD Jewel is best. I looked at DH Ultraviolet, but Jewel just looks brighter and redder which is what I need.

Twinkle Beast

Body: Oh my god, finally something EASY. He's gonna be Coconut Grove. Enough said. The color is perfect, and there aren't many other pink pegasi anyway. xD

Hair: Something else easy, because I could ASK him. :v He liked DH Sour Grapes and definitely wants RD Wonderland (we know it doesn't match the ref, he just liked it better). The only thing I'm wondering is whether RD Royalty is a match for DH Sour Grapes. He likes the kind of shades on G1 Glory and G3 Scootaloo -- we were gonna steal Scootaloo's hair before he changed his mind on the pink. :v

Luna

This one is intended to be a surprise. I'm trying to make it look like her fursona. Can we link to FurAffinity here if the art page we're linking to is appropriate for the forum? Just not sure since other parts of that site are... not work safe, to say the least. >3> For now, it's very similar to this Gaia avatar of hers, but the blue is a tad bit darker, more saturated, and more of a true blue. The green is correct -- minty/seafoamy.

Body: As far as I know, there are no brown G3s, right? Unless I'm wrong, I'll have to paint this one. :P I'll probably just use the blank pony -- I have 3, and the pose is cute. Suggestions for a bait with a pose that says "fun" and "playful" are welcome, though.

Hair: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with DH After Midnght and DH Lucky Clover. DH Lapis Sapphire was a consideration but seemed a bit too light compared to her actual fursona art... yet After Midnight seems a bit too dark. :B Is RD Diablo as blue as it looks, or is it really purple? And how does the monofiber RD Cobalt Jewel compare to After Midnight? They look about the same to me. I'm trying to stick to nylon, but I think monofiber looks nice enough, and it says it can take heat well.

So that's it! Thank you for glancing over this monster post.  :happy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal