collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?

Paradise estate
12 (19%)
Show stable
3 (4.8%)
Waterfall
17 (27%)
Dream castle
13 (20.6%)
Baby buggy (princess or regular)
5 (7.9%)
Megan's place
1 (1.6%)
Lullaby nursery
5 (7.9%)
Baby Bonnet school of dance
0 (0%)
Satin slipper sweet schoppe
1 (1.6%)
Perm shoppe
0 (0%)
Poof and puff perfume palace
2 (3.2%)
Brush me beautiful boutique
1 (1.6%)
Rockabye bed
0 (0%)
Scrub a dub tub
2 (3.2%)
Sweet dreams crib
1 (1.6%)
Home sweet home
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: July 31, 2020, 11:07:57 AM

Author Topic: If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2020, 03:26:51 AM »

Wondering why the Kitchen and the Schoolhouse didn't make the poll.  I'm guessing because BF are only focusing on what the US line had?

I didn't include those because I used my g1 collectors guide which is us based. Should I still include them?

Time to get a new collector's guide, since US based = incomplete, and for a European collector, comprehensively irrelevant in most areas.

But BF are only working from the US line, so probably they wouldn't be included in projected production.

The thing is, if you wanted to include all the G1 playsets in the poll, then obv. they should be included.

Why would they not be just because they weren't sold in the US? I mean that's just geography, right?

They're still mainstream G1 pony playsets.

I think I'll just leave it. It's too late to change it now. At least people can talk about in the comments :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2020, 03:31:46 AM »
If there's ever a repro waterfall, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Although I'm also inclined to opt for Dream Castle as well, because it'd be nice to have a repro Majesty in her traditional style (not the odd wallpapered version that I think was a convention exclusive?) My current Majesty has had somewhat of a hard life by the look of her, and I'd like to have one in better condition. Oh, and the castle itself would be pretty neat to have as well, I suppose. :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2020, 04:52:01 AM »

Wondering why the Kitchen and the Schoolhouse didn't make the poll.  I'm guessing because BF are only focusing on what the US line had?

I didn't include those because I used my g1 collectors guide which is us based. Should I still include them?

Time to get a new collector's guide, since US based = incomplete, and for a European collector, comprehensively irrelevant in most areas.

But BF are only working from the US line, so probably they wouldn't be included in projected production.

The thing is, if you wanted to include all the G1 playsets in the poll, then obv. they should be included.

Why would they not be just because they weren't sold in the US? I mean that's just geography, right?

I think I'll just leave it. It's too late to change it now. At least people can talk about in the comments :)

Why would they not be made by Basic Fun?  Because BF is US-based, and probably believe that the majority of their customer base is in the US (whether it actually is or not, idk), and their MLP line seems to be based on selling via nostalgia - as in adults who had MLP as kids see these new releases and either want them for themselves or to see their kids play with it. Pretty much no one in the US would look at an EU- or UK-exclusive pony or playset and say "oh I remember that from my childhood! I must have it/get it for my kid!"  Thus we got the US-version of Confetti, etc. 

Personally, I would LOVE if they did the Kitchen or Schoolhouse, because they look awesome to me and I would seriously consider getting them if BF did do them BECAUSE I didn't have either as a kid...but I don't see it happening, so I wouldn't have included them in the poll either.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2020, 06:05:39 AM »
The reissues also appeal to collectors who got into MLP after G1 ended but still have an interest in G1 (like myself). And either way, adult G1 collectors tend to be aware of those playsets if they've done a little homework.
Here's a reason they would do the kitchen: It's smaller and thus less costly to produce than the likes of Dream Castle.

While Paradise Estate is my all-time favourite playset and would love to see what they can do with the concept of it today, with the current trend and costs of playset design I'm afraid a toned down PE would be just a flat facade with basic shelving on the back...

I do wonder what the price point would be of a re-release Paradise Estate nowadays. Back in the eighties, where I lived, it was around the equivalent of 100 euros (approx. 110 dollars)

EDIT: The School playset was re-used for the G2 line; the mold could still exist today.
I think all the molds have a strong chance of still existing, frankly. I wouldn't expect they'd be recreating molds from scratch, so I'm dead certain the Pretty Parlor's mold still exists at the very least.

Paradise Estate's US retail price was $79.99. Adjusted to 2020 terms, that's $188.15. But it's quite possible that a reissue would cost less than the inflation-adjusted original price - the Pretty Parlor does.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2020, 06:52:22 AM »
Honestly, I have a hard time imagining them making Paradise Estate these days. It's massive! I guess I'd like for it to *exist*, but I wouldn't buy it - no room. I imagine a lot of parents'd feel the same way.

I'd like a smaller option :B.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »

Why would they not be made by Basic Fun?

No, why would they not be included in the poll if the intention was to include all playsets from mainstream MLP?  Because in that case they would obv. be included, and should be.

I think you'll find I already covered the BF aspect earlier in my post. It's an entirely different point.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:27:25 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
I voted Paradise Estate. I'm not really a fan of the original playsets though.
Oh? Why not?

I know the company is going for nostalgia, but I'd really like to see a new and different playset. I like the idea of Paradise Estate, but maybe something a little smaller along the same lines.
Something a little smaller wouldn't work as well, and would be very disappointing to most of us pining to get a hold of one. The whole point of Paradise Estate is to be a big house that can host lots of ponies at once; it even has a pool you could put the Sea Ponies in. Shrinking it would cut down on that ability.
Also, I'm pretty sure that these reissues are being made with the original molds as much as possible.
I voted Paradise Estate. I'm not really a fan of the original playsets though.
Oh? Why not?

I know the company is going for nostalgia, but I'd really like to see a new and different playset. I like the idea of Paradise Estate, but maybe something a little smaller along the same lines.
Something a little smaller wouldn't work as well, and would be very disappointing to most of us pining to get a hold of one. The whole point of Paradise Estate is to be a big house that can host lots of ponies at once; it even has a pool you could put the Sea Ponies in. Shrinking it would cut down on that ability.
Also, I'm pretty sure that these reissues are being made with the original molds as much as possible.

There's a few reasons I don't like them: The furniture is not pony-sized. Few of the playsets look big enough to hold more than a couple ponies. I like the idea of PE but it's too big and has the aforementioned furniture issue. I'd  like to see a playset along PE lines that built upwards like an apartment building so as not to use so much floor space.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
Honestly, I have a hard time imagining them making Paradise Estate these days. It's massive! I guess I'd like for it to *exist*, but I wouldn't buy it - no room. I imagine a lot of parents'd feel the same way.

I'd like a smaller option :B.

Oh I don't know. I've seen some dollhouses that are enormous.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2020, 07:17:40 AM »
^Yeah, Paradise Estate actually ends up being on the smaller end of things as far as dollhouses in general are concerned thanks to being made for 4" ponies instead of 12" dolls.

And hey, if they can put out 2' guys who turn into bases for Transformers, I don't see why we can't get a reissue of the piece de resistance dollhouse of MLP. Especially since there's less labor cost with MLP playsets and Basic Fun actually tries to be space efficient with their packaging (unlike Hasbro in the '80s).

Agree with Taffeta that the kitchen and the school should be on the poll.

There's a few reasons I don't like them: The furniture is not pony-sized. Few of the playsets look big enough to hold more than a couple ponies. I like the idea of PE but it's too big and has the aforementioned furniture issue.
...So, you dislike how few of them seem to be big enough for more than a couple ponies at a time, yet dislike Paradise Estate for definitely being big enough? :huh:
I agree about some the furniture being ill-suited to ponies. Especially the chairs. Although at least with G1 you have Megan and Molly.

I'd  like to see a playset along PE lines that built upwards like an apartment building so as not to use so much floor space.
Then it wouldn't really be along the lines of Paradise Estate now would it? :P

Thing is, going for that sort of design restricts the play/display space available on each floor. And it would also require designing a new playset from scratch and cutting new molds, instead of digging out and refreshing existing molds from the 1980s. Although if you want such a playset... Are you of much of an arts-and-crafts bent?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:24:01 AM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Ohhh, PE as an apartment building would be so much better!  Or even a two story house (that takes up half as much floor space.)  Kids love elevator features and balconies, it's kind of strange that they denied themselves both those elements by making it a ranch style house.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
^Yeah, Paradise Estate actually ends up being on the smaller end of things as far as dollhouses in general are concerned thanks to being made for 4" ponies instead of 12" dolls.

And hey, if they can put out 2' guys who turn into bases for Transformers, I don't see why we can't get a reissue of the piece de resistance dollhouse of MLP. Especially since there's less labor cost with MLP playsets and Basic Fun actually tries to be space efficient with their packaging (unlike Hasbro in the '80s).

Agree with Taffeta that the kitchen and the school should be on the poll.

There's a few reasons I don't like them: The furniture is not pony-sized. Few of the playsets look big enough to hold more than a couple ponies. I like the idea of PE but it's too big and has the aforementioned furniture issue.
...So, you dislike how few of them seem to be big enough for more than a couple ponies at a time, yet dislike Paradise Estate for definitely being big enough? :huh:
I agree about some the furniture being ill-suited to ponies. Especially the chairs. Although at least with G1 you have Megan and Molly.

I'd  like to see a playset along PE lines that built upwards like an apartment building so as not to use so much floor space.
Then it wouldn't really be along the lines of Paradise Estate now would it? :P

Thing is, going for that sort of design restricts the play/display space available on each floor. And it would also require designing a new playset from scratch and cutting new molds, instead of digging out and refreshing existing molds from the 1980s. Although if you want such a playset... Are you of much of an arts-and-crafts bent?

No, I'm not craftsy at all. But yeah something thats between PE and the smaller sets in terms of size would be ideal, but I also understand it's unrealistic since Basic Fun is not creating new items.

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
Ohhh, PE as an apartment building would be so much better!  Or even a two story house (that takes up half as much floor space.)  Kids love elevator features and balconies, it's kind of strange that they denied themselves both those elements by making it a ranch style house.
I can think of some reasons why they went with that
1. They had done multilevel playsets the previous two years (Dream Castle and the Lullabye Nursery), so a ranch style house was a way to mix it up a bit.
2. A ranch-style house probably seemed thematically-appropriate to them
3. Occupying a lot of floor space was considered impressive (and there are dollhouses that take up a fair bit more, as well as more vertical room), and they wanted to give MLP a playset that was impressively huge (it's not the most extreme example from Hasbro either; that would be the 7' long USS Flagg of G.I. Joe fame).
4. Going with a large-footprint design let them work in a courtyard and swimming pool.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »
I voted for the Waterfall because it’s one I don’t have that I want, it’s small ( I really don’t have anymore room for anything bigger) and it’s very pastoral. I tend to like my ponies more fantasy, less urban.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
To be honest, PE doesn't hold that many ponies either.

Not comfortably. Just saying.

Edit: I just realised for the first time in 30+ years that that advert is also lowkey promoting the elusive 1987 M&S set with Country Jamboree.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:01:10 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »
To be honest, PE doesn't hold that many ponies either.

Not comfortably. Just saying.

Edit: I just realised for the first time in 30+ years that that advert is also lowkey promoting the elusive 1987 M&S set with Country Jamboree.

Well, it did become her default outfit in-show starting with the movie, probably because it's the most farmgirlish of the produced outfits.

Judging by photos, PE seems to still hold more than the likes of the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe, the Show Stable, or even Dream Castle (especially when closed). And no other set has a pool.

If its capacity only goes so far as-is, then IMO that's a good argument against shrinking it
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:25:56 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal