collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 245739 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #1275 on: November 05, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
"She's saying it would be stupid to make them that way. She's not calling Sunset stupid. "
I didn't say she called sunset stupid if you'll recall. Sunset come up with that idea, then y'all called it stupid. Maybe it's not needed to call people's ideas stupid, idk maybe that's just me

"What are you talking about? And speak for yourself on that one"
See phrasing like that is aggressive, a simple I disagree can get the job done just as well, especially when just replying to a neutral opinion.

Regardless of the "passion" BF will do whatever is best for it's bottom line

If you choose to interpret it that way, that is strictly on you. Nobody said that. No one was out to insult her.

What are you talking about? Was a valid response out of confusion. Because nowhere did Basic Fun ever say, 'We're going to cancel the Flutters because people want wings that break off."

And speak for yourself is also valid. Because I speak for myself when I say that I wouldn't want a toy that has the same issues as it did before. I loved the idea of stronger wings. And I certainly wouldn't give it to a little kid who wants to play with it and then comes crying because they broke it through no fault of their own.

Hence, speak for yourself. Don't speak for all of us.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:15:01 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1276 on: November 05, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
I wonder if my Target never got them, I only ever saw the collector's pose set, pretty parlor,  and a few rainbow ponies, oh and stranger things Applejack  :( Or they sold out really fast?  Alas!
The Collector's Pose, Pretty Parlor, Rainbow sets 1 and 2 all shelf-sat for quite a while in my area. The Glory/Firefly set I only saw once or twice...and the Bubbles/Applejack set I had less trouble getting but was still very quick to disappear.
I know for sure that people are buying the pegasi in the Gusty/Surprise set, I'd imagine they'd be quite hard to come by in the future.

I'm not as passionate about the Twinkle Eyes but it's pretty clear to me by now that BF does value accuracy for the MOST part. I enjoy variants so I would be interested in seeing a non-TE version, but I can't really see them doing it since they'd end up missing out on the nostalgia factor for people who aren't so "BUY EVERYTHING". I can also see that set selling *excellently* for the kids, sparklies are huge with them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1277 on: November 05, 2020, 02:17:27 PM »
TEs have always been one of my favourite sets since I was a kid <3 Tic Tac Toe also has the most amazing eyes of probably any pony in the whole line. But that's a whole other matter.

We definitely had a lot of the unipegs here all over the place, in both the original 35th anniversary labelled boxes and the ones without. So I don't know if we got surplus or whatever. They are still available on Amazon, but I picked all of them up easily enough in Surrey last year when I was living down in London. I also saw them multiple times even when I went to pick up others like Pinwheel and Bow Tie.

Starflower and Bow Tie's set have been more difficult to find (I haven't been able to go pony buying since lockdown so can't talk about the new sets). But Glory's set was available here for a long period at a lot of stores (Argos, Smyths, Toymaster) so maybe we got some excess originally intended for the States.

We have the same boxes as the US so that isn't impossible.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 05, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
TEs are my favorite set. And I had 4 as a kid.

Distribution was weird here as always, not a single unicorn or Pegasus to be seen. But the collector's, earth and 1st set rainbows were in decent supply. Only ever saw Trickles and I think Starflower from the second set.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 05, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
I only had Masquerade, but sister's first pony was Fizzy, and I had friends who also owned Fizzy and Locket and Tic Tac Toe. The latter 2 came to live with me so I almost feel like we had 4 childhood TEs as well.
Distribution was weird here as always, not a single unicorn or Pegasus to be seen. But the collector's, earth and 1st set rainbows were in decent supply. Only ever saw Trickles and I think Starflower from the second set.

I remember Tickle ad nauseum in London.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 05, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »
I only had Masquerade, but sister's first pony was Fizzy, and I had friends who also owned Fizzy and Locket and Tic Tac Toe. The latter 2 came to live with me so I almost feel like we had 4 childhood TEs as well.

I remember Tickle ad nauseum in London.

Envious of your Tic-Tac-Toe and Locket.

I had Sweet Pop, Sweet Stuff, Fizzy and Whizzer.  I'm bent on getting Locket this year, and Tic Tac and Sweet Stuff next year. I'd love to have a pretty new Gingerbread.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 05, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
I suspect that BF Gingerbread will be the immediate sell out xD.

Still have mixed opinions on "Sweet Stuff" on the box. Guess I won't be keeping that one MIB *innocent*

Shame Locket is unlikely to ever be rereleased. :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1282 on: November 05, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
I've been lusting after a Locket for ages! They don't replace the originals for me but still would LOVE to see one...I'm loving the alt-rehair potential for these. Would love to see a Bright Eyes too since they have that mould down.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 05, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
I suspect that BF Gingerbread will be the immediate sell out xD.

Still have mixed opinions on "Sweet Stuff" on the box. Guess I won't be keeping that one MIB *innocent*

Shame Locket is unlikely to ever be rereleased. :/

Its a possibility. Sweet Stuff might be htf as well, just because she's so prone to pvc breakdown.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 05, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »
I could see BF doing Locket because the body type is the same for other, non-twinkle ponies like Dancing Butterflies.  The head mold would be a bit different but if they plan on going for the long haul because this seems to be making them some dough, I could see it as a possibility in the future.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 05, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
I wonder if my Target never got them, I only ever saw the collector's pose set, pretty parlor,  and a few rainbow ponies, oh and stranger things Applejack  :( Or they sold out really fast?  Alas!
The Collector's Pose, Pretty Parlor, Rainbow sets 1 and 2 all shelf-sat for quite a while in my area. The Glory/Firefly set I only saw once or twice...and the Bubbles/Applejack set I had less trouble getting but was still very quick to disappear.

Huh, I feel better about missing Glory's set, then.  The rainbows were definitely on the shelf for a long time here, too.  Ah the mystical realm of toy distribution...
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 05, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
If there is a chance we might see some TAFs going forward - and this is all speculative - then I guess Locket can't be ruled out entirely. In any case I think Locket would be more likely than, say, Mimic.

They haven't made Bright Eyes' pose yet. That's the 1987 Crumpet Pose, so it would need a new pose base. BUT the same thing applies -if they had it, then Up Up is also possible.

If they did Quackers, then there's Love Melody AND Lollipop/Sweet Tooth.

And Tic Tac Toe and Strawberry Fair/Sugarberry.

Though considering that over it seems like the option to use the same pose 3 times adds weight to Quackers/LM/Lollipop. And nobody here would argue about getting a white Quackers. So WHILE THIS IS ENTIRELY SPECULATIVE...

It seems that those would be the poses they'd use. I imagine they'd nix Mimic because first the raw materials needed to create her are more expensive than the others in her set, and secondly, her colour is a tricky one to reproduce. Don't get me wrong, she's a favourite of mine, I just think that if sets are coming in 4s, she'd be the one to drop. And that would probably mean no Milky Way either. IF they went to a third set of TEs. But I am not totally convinced they will, unless they plan on a TAF set of some kind.

We start to get into poses with fewer candidates as we go forward though. I suppose there's then material for some of the 1987 SS ponies too...but...eh. I don't know. The Princesses? (I am still not keen on having those though, if they're not going to have dragons. Although gift sets with dragons AND bushwoolies would be amazing, I think they'd be more likely without attendants if they DID happen and I think them unlikely atm).

So yeah. Much speculation :)

Locket is very pretty. Her pinks are deceptive. As a kid I always thought she had ice cream hair.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 05, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
Evidently my choice of phrasing earlier has been taken the wrong way; for this, I apologize. Again, I wasn't directing it towards anyone in the thread, just stating MY opinions on the matter. I'd have said the exact same thing if this convo had emerged from, say, Basic Fun themselves proposing the notion of TEs without TEs.

Earth Pony is an official term. I would have to go through stuff to find out if it may have been bequeathed from the US TV show to the toy line, but I know for sure it's here in Hasbro's Fact File in 1987. At least, to be strictly accurate, they say "EarthLY ponies" on at least two separate occasions I can see. There's also "earthbound" in Glory's entry (most elegant of all the earth-bound ponies). And finally on the page for Baby Ponies, "the earth babies often tumble into mischief."

yes, I was trying to figure out where the term was first used too - it's definitely not in either of the first two specials, but I'm not sure about the movie onwards - I couldn't find it on any of the backcards (closed I could find was Glory's factfile like you said). Hmm.

I'd lean more towards "earth pony" being a Hasbro-coined term too, though. It's possible Sunbow happened to use it first but if they did, I think it'd be more likely they'd have gotten it from Hasbro than making it up themselves? If that makes sense. /tangent

@Carrehz - I also understood your comments in the same way as LAW did.

:)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 05, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
Geeky tangents are awesome.
It's not in the UK commercial for the set with Bubbles and Seashell. They're just "My Little Ponies" in that.
The US insert for that year also calls them "My Little Pony" which would be in line with RaMC.
The comic doesn't begin here till 1985, which is after RaMC I think.

...The best bet would be the US stories on the cards from Bubbles' set. Which I mostly own but am too lazy to dig out xD.

It could be Sunbow -> Hasbro. I remember that the Starlight Girls were created for the Jem cartoon and then made into dolls by Hasbro so there's a precedent. Or it could've been Hasbro --> Sunbow and it later spread through the line.

ETA - is RaMC actually Sunbow? Now I think of it the animation is different, so I'm not sure?

Ember's name for the MO baby seems to have come from RaMC, unless it's on the US insert. It's not on the UK one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:30:57 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 05, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
There are US inserts that call Ember “My Beautiful Baby Pony” and “Ember.” 

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ember.

I just checked my VHS of RAMC and it  says  “copyright Sunbow Productions” on the box. :)

Glory’s BF set disappeared from my area too. I am still missing some of them. They were restocked a couple of times at my Target but quickly replaced by the Earth ponies set.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal