collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do so many fans think it's okay to buy knock off MLP merch?  (Read 7237 times)

Empress Celestia

• Trade Count: (0)
Someone I know bought a plushie from onlyfactory and apparently I'm a shill for Hasbro because I disapprove!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Why do so many fans think it's okay to buy knock off MLP merch?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »
Couldn't one consider any and all fakies also knock off MLP merch? Remcos, lanards, Pretty ponies etc? It's a pretty deep rabbit hole...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
Because Hasbro isn't affected by it in the least bit, and Hasbro isn't the type of company that makes me go "I'm so happy I'm supporting this high standard company!" when I buy their products.  :lookround:

(Of course, we're talking about ones that are just Hasbro knockoffs. Knockoffs of custom work are completely unacceptable.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:36:57 PM by Spectrum »

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
Its kind of the same as the people who make resin g4s and sell them for profit. Maybe its ok with older pony molds but the g4s are still in stores and that's stealing Hasbros mold. Personally I wouldn't buy knock off pony merch either.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »
I buy what I like, unless I have a reason not to. :) I have no reason not to, and no reason to. I don't buy it, but there is no reason I wouldn't.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:38:19 PM »
Why do so many people think it's acceptable to eat animals? I think it's just one of those things that will bother some people and not others really. That's my opinion anyway.

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Mm, Hasbro's a pretty big corporation, and I doubt the occasional knockoff brand would hurt them too badly. Plus, we've seen that they have no problem going straight to the source of the issue and shutting them right down (or at least attempting to, it sounds like we haven't heard the last of Frontwinner just yet). Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't really think they're hurting for money at the moment, as MLP is huuuuuuuuuge, and some stuffed animal factory isn't going to hinder them too badly, so I can't really see what would be wrong about it.

But that's just my two cents.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
I don't see the big deal.  Places like onlyfactory can provide fans merchandise that may be too low-volume and low-profit for Hasbro to be bothered with, or won't make at all, without having to fork over major cash to have it custom made.  Now, if they're taking other people's work and mass-producing it without compensating the creator, that's not alright, but if you really want, you can just give some to the creator if you can find them just to get it off your conscience. 

I'd prefer to buy official merch where I can, but if a non-licensed company makes something I want, I'll get it.  If Hasbro wants that money, then they'll just have to make that product themselves.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »
I haven't purchased a knock off plush, but I'm not saying I wouldn't.  Hasbro hasn't made plushies of the characters I would consider purchasing, and I've bought all the hasbro plushies, so it's not like I'd be buying one instead of a hasbro, they're filling a void.  I want a stuffed Chrysalis like there's no tomorrow.

Offline Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
Because Hasbro isn't affected by it in the least bit, and Hasbro isn't the type of company that makes me go "I'm so happy I'm supporting this high standard company!" when I buy their products.  :lookround:

(Of course, we're talking about ones that are just Hasbro knockoffs. Knockoffs of custom work are completely unacceptable.)

Let me ask you, why do you think Hasbro isn't a 'high standard company'?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Fakies aren't the same as knock offs, at least the ones I see here. Hasbro can't own the basic idea of "toy horse with hair" any more than Mattel can own the idea of "fashion doll". If a company wants to come up with its own molds (or put previous gen molds that the factory still has to use) then why not?
Also the resin ponies and custom plushies are different since for the most part they are handcrafted OOAK works of art and not factory produced rip offs.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
My (unnecessary) two cents: knockoff companies often fill a need that they don't see being filled by the source company. Sometimes it's just "make the same product but cheaper," which I don't support, but in the case of Onlyfactory, they are creating plush creations of a more A) accurate and B) wider variety than Hasbro (or its affiliates) is. For example, see the Sunrise Celestia vs. the Onlyfactory one; Onlyfactor looks a little wonky in places for sure, but the hair and eyes are much more "on model" than the official plush is. In addition, Onlyfactory is also making plush of characters that we have only seen rarely, if at all, in the official Hasbro line, such as Luna, Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, Cadance, Shining Armor, Big Mac, etc.

So, in my opinion, if Hasbro didn't want people buying knockoff plush, they should step up their own game. If I want a Big Mac plush, what are my options? Spend $200 to get a custom one, or go to Onlyfactory for $30. The day Hasbro makes a Big Mac is the day I buy one from them!

Basically, I'm not necessarily pro-knockoffs; but in the case of a multimillion dollar company which is putting out less-than-stellar options, I'm willing to look elsewhere, whether it be custom or knockoff.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Fakies aren't the same as knock offs, at least the ones I see here. Hasbro can't own the basic idea of "toy horse with hair" any more than Mattel can own the idea of "fashion doll". If a company wants to come up with its own molds (or put previous gen molds that the factory still has to use) then why not?
Also the resin ponies and custom plushies are different since for the most part they are handcrafted OOAK works of art and not factory produced rip offs.

oh but they can try! and they do try. (Mattel)

why do so many people think it's ok to buy knock off designer handbags and sunglasses? why do companies think it's ok to charge such large amounts of money on something they mass produce and make money hand over fist on? why do people think it's ok to buy clearance merchandise to resell for 5x the price they paid to people overseas who didn't have the opportunity?  why do some people think it's ok to steal?

in my spare spare spare time I play The Sims. Sims has an online store where you can buy DLC. the DLC is *not* cheap as apparently no DLC is, so many people pirate it. I have never done so and I do not approve of people pirating the DLC. Apparently I'm a loser who pays for things. *shrug*
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
I think this is a good link : http://www.rainknight.net/plush/counterfeit_guide.htm for some of the downsides to buying counterfeit plushies that maybe people don't consider.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
 It's not much different than guns or eating meat. Some like it, some don't.

You have to be careful with the knockoff term. Because legally anything not made or endorsed by Hasbro is a knockoff, including fanmade stuff. I'm assuming this has to do with the Onlyfactory plushies. They stepped in where Hasbro would never consider going themselves or where licensed vendors could take years to do: secondary and one off characters.  4DE announced some, but only recently have they  managed to get 2 of the mane 6  (Twilight and Pinkie) out after announcing them IDK how long ago. At that rate we probably won't see the princesses and CMC until early 2016.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal