collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When do you sell a rare pony you're not attached to?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
When do you sell a rare pony you're not attached to?
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
I've been pondering selling a few rare U.S. mail order ponies because I feel like I'm not really enjoying them. (Not mentioning who they are so I don't get swamped with PMs. ^^;) I'm finding that I'm not enjoying them as much as some of my more common ponies. I see them and instead of the satisfied "I'm so glad I have this pony in my collection," it's more like, "oh, they're rare; that's cool; but I could take them or leave them." I feel like another collector might be dying to have them and I'm kind of being selfish. :/ But then again, I don't want to sell them and then regret it later, since they don't turn up very often and I got them for an excellent price. They might grow on me, after all . . . Anyone have any advice for this situation?

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
Re: When do you sell a rare pony you're not attached to?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
If I need the money, I sell them. If I'm okay money-wise, I save them to trade for something or a couple somethings I might really be after.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
I would be inclined to keep them just in case of future regrets. Early on in my collecting days, when G1s were plentiful in thrift stores, I had the Colorswirl ponies and quite a few Sweetheart Sisters. I ended up moving and in the purge before I moved, I donated the Colorswirls, SHS and Pony Bride because I didn't like them as much as the "classic" MLPs! I didn't regret it too much until I got heavily back into collecting about 3 years ago. I finally got all of the Colorswirls back this year (15 years later) and it certainly cost me more than the thrift store ones!

As much as I still love the early MLPs, I have come to appreciate the gimmicky and strange ponies from the later years (except the BBEs - I have them but I just can't bring myself to like them - even the one my best friend gave me from her childhood).

I wouldn't feel selfish about keeping them "just in case" either. You aren't hurting anyone by keeping your rare ponies (as much as I'd love to know who we are talking about :lol:)!

Offline bubbles171

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Thank you so much shiverdam my 2 loves combined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
Hum it all depends on your situation one are you in need of money? If not you could hold on to it. Honestly I don't think the mail order ponies are all that hard unless it is in the package. They all seem to show up at least a few times. If u do sell sell it higher so you can get it back if u do change your mind. Only thing I think is very hard is scoops necklace and charm better to not part with them.

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »
I think it mainly depends on what your collecting goal is. Personally, I collect all things G1 so if it was in my collection I would keep regardless.

Whatever you do make sure you are happy to part with them and maybe hold onto them for a while before you make the final decision.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 01:35:35 AM »
That's a hard question as it's different for everyone.  I'd pull the pony out and have it around you for a while.  Maybe on the dinner table, or near your laptop, or wherever you spend a lot of time.  Even at work if you have a workplace where that might be appropriate.  Give the pony a chance to really grow on you!  If you feel you love her a little bit more after having her near, then you'll know it's not the right time to part with her just yet.  And if, after a week you still don't feel any attachment, it's pretty safe to say you won't miss her, then you can go ahead and sell without regrets.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
I agree with Daffodil, except I'd give her at least a month to grow on you. ;) Then it's up to you. If it's a pony that has a consistent (or increasing) value, you could still hold on to it until you really need the quick cash.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 02:37:52 AM »
if you aren't in need of money right now I'd say hold onto them. selling something off and then regretting it later is an awful feeling, and also a nasty one because it might not come up at all, but might come around years after the sale happened. it's better to try to avoid it.

I also agree with Daffodil about spending a little more time with the ponies (preferrably one by one IMO) before you make your decision about what to do with them. have them around, set them up or just take them to the garden and take photos of them (if that's something you like), and see if some bond forms. then you might also try to put them completely out of sight for a longer time (I'd say months) and see if you miss them. you might realise you'd miss them around, but you might also realise you even tend to forget you even have them this way.

another idea that comes to my mind is that if you aren't in need of money but there's something on your wishlist that you aren't getting because you don't like its price, you could also consider selling the ponies and buying the wishlist item instead (or actually trading them for it) if you find that item would make you happier on the long run and would compensate not having the rare ponies around.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
I agree with what Daffodil101 said.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »
I'm with the others - I sell when I need the money, which I've had to do many times.

You can always sell the ponies you aren't crazy about to buy ponies you ARE crazy about. :D

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
When it doesn't fit in your collection anymore, for whatever reason.  Maybe you've switched your goal to only have blue ponies or only unicorns and this one just isn't either of those.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
For me, I pick the pony up, handle it, look into it's eyes, play with it, and if there is just no connection, I leave them in a visible place to look at often, just to be sure that I have no real attachment.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
I've been there before many times, and to be honest, there's only a few ponies I regret selling, mostly my childhood ponies and one or two others.  Sometimes if I know someone is desperately searching for a pony I have, I'll offer it to them first, as long as they can pay average price for it that's all I need. :). They get a pony they've been searching for, I get the value for it, and even the pony wins, since it's going to someone who really wants it! :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
If I don't care for a spendy pony, then I'll be trying to make money off of them. :P
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
The only reasons I've parted with ponies I'm nort fond of, are the need of money or one of my good collector friends wanting it/them more than I do.

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal