collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony n Friends Animation Errors  (Read 14316 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: My Little Pony n Friends Animation Errors
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
Occasionally the bushwoolies will have skinny, striped arms in MLP & Friends.  Almost like they are wearing shirt sleeves or something?  Like, one of them has an argyle pattern.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think they also appear this way in the opening sequence.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »
Occasionally the bushwoolies will have skinny, striped arms in MLP & Friends.  Almost like they are wearing shirt sleeves or something?  Like, one of them has an argyle pattern.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think they also appear this way in the opening sequence.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that whole inconsistency.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
I wonder about the Bushwoolies, too. Maybe.. hm. Those patterns would probably be annoying to animate/keep consistent (esp. since they didn't really have individual personalities/names.. I know there's one ep where they sorta attempted to individualize them a bit.. maybe "The End of Flutter Valley"? Either that or the Princess ep, I think.. but that never really stuck, anyway) so maybe they nixed them for sake of ease, and either some eps had already been animated with the patterns and it was too late to change it, or there was a miscommunication somewhere down the line that led to the inconsistency? Maybe?

She was also a pegasus for a split second in the movie. When Wind Whistler and "North Star" return to Dreamvalley with Megan, Molly and Danny; when they're coming down to land, Magic Star is alongside Wind Whistler instead of North Star. I think that her and Truly were intended to be pegasi, but Hasbro changed it at the last minute. If I remember correctly, Truly was a pegasus in the final song of The Magic Coins; she and another pegasus push clouds together to form a pink heart (I could be mixing up episodes here, but she was definitely portrayed as a pegasus several times). It made sense to me as well, with her symbol being a dove in flight.

I was wondering about this, too. I could've sworn there was something else (maybe a backcard or something) that portrayed her as a pegasus, but I couldn't find it when I looked so maybe I'm mixing it up with something else :s
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »
I think most of it was just due to human error, to be honest.  The animators weren't from Hasbro, they wouldn't know anything about the ponies except what was in the show bible and on the character model sheets.

With MLP all the ponies having the same character model (except some having wings / horn, or baby vs adult) I can see how it would be confusing.   The most miscolored characters in the Transformers cartoon were probably the Seekers (the three Decepticon jets), who also shared the same character model.

Here's foreground Starscream hanging out with background Starscream.   One of them should be Skywarp or Thundercracker instead, lol.  This happened ALL the time.  Sometimes Starscream wasn't even supposed to be in a scene at all!  But wait, it gets better.  The animators would also use the colors of Transformers A on Transformers B, like in one case grey-and-purple Reflector was supposed to be in a scene but instead they gave him Starscream's colors.

Edit:  I wanted to add my fave Transformers animation error:  Optimus Prime watches as a SECOND Optimus Prime saves the Washington Monument.  No, there was no 'in show' explanation for the 2nd Optimus. :P

Here's a minor but interesting error from MLP The Movie.  Rosedust has just called three random flutter ponies over to help her "de-smooze" the Grundles.  They are all pink, all purple, and white with pink hair.

Oops, they changed the angle of the shot and the purple one has been replaced by an all blue one.

They changed the angle again and now one of them is all peach.

Spike's animation leading up to this scene (where he asks Rosedust to unsmooze the Grundles) is also VERY weird;  he is constantly winking (but, like, in a meaningless way, not 'at' anyone?) and just kind of writhing in place?  In a way that I guess the animators thought was cute??
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:23:40 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
How to promote the whole range of the Flutter Ponies in a few seconds of animation. It's Lily...no it's Peach Blossom...no, Honeysuckle...gotta catch em all!

Eighties animation is brilliant for this kind of stuff. We're spoiled now because it isn't such a widespread thing to see such glaring mistakes. There are some similar ones to the Transformer ones with Jem as well. Although with Jem there's also the interesting recolorations as well.

See the first five episodes are extended from the Truly Outrageous special (or the other way, I can't remember but I think TO was like a pilot so I think that came first). In any case it means extra scenes. But in ONE version, there's a scene where in TO it's 2 of the Misfits, and in the extended episode the exact same scene shows 2 Misfits - but one of them is not the same as before. I think the scene is either Pizzazz elbowing Roxy for wiping a tear at the story of the Starlight Girls being homeless and or Roxy elbowing Stormer for the same, depending on which version.

I am not sure if there's any pony equivalent. Ponies turn into other ponies randomly for a scene or two, but there's no example of a cpmpletely recoloured scene like that which changes all the character nuances.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
Speaking of Jem, I'm sure you will be able to spot some familiar character models in this scene from G1 Transformers episode "B.O.T.".

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:39:02 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
Speaking of Jem, I'm sure you will be able to spot some familiar character models in this scene from G1 Transformers episode "B.O.T.".

Haha! Jerrica and Kimber are covert Transformer fans! Jerrica is even taking notes. In disguise though of course. Truly Outrageous!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
Yes.  And they are in high school.  Clearly those are all high school aged human beings.  This school is indeed truly, truly, truly outrageous.  :P

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
Yes.  And they are in high school.  Clearly those are all high school aged human beings.  This school is indeed truly, truly, truly outrageous.  :P

Either that or a lot of people repeating. Maybe because they spend too much time starting rock bands and looking after orphans, with the help of holographic computers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
How to promote the whole range of the Flutter Ponies in a few seconds of animation. It's Lily...no it's Peach Blossom...no, Honeysuckle...gotta catch em all!
I'm honestly surprised that no user here has mentioned 'The Ice Cream Wars' yet in this regard - even as a kid, the most entertaining part of the (otherwise pretty malaise) episode was watching as the four First Tooth babies suddenly changed to five (with Baby Bouncy randomly teleporting into the scenery for no apparent reason), then back to four (with Baby Quackers abruptly transfigured into Baby Tic Tac Toe), then all six suddenly being present during the climax. It's such a conspicuous error, and what mystifies me a greater deal is how one explains this. Yes, the relatively uniform pony character models would certainly have played a role in the 'transfiguration', but the number of characters suddenly shifting between scenes (translation errors/miscommunication on Sunbow's part leading to AKOM botching several key details)?

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
I'm honestly surprised that no user here has mentioned 'The Ice Cream Wars' yet in this regard - even as a kid, the most entertaining part of the (otherwise pretty malaise) episode was watching as the four First Tooth babies suddenly changed to five (with Baby Bouncy randomly teleporting into the scenery for no apparent reason), then back to four (with Baby Quackers abruptly transfigured into Baby Tic Tac Toe), then all six suddenly being present during the climax. It's such a conspicuous error, and what mystifies me a greater deal is how one explains this. Yes, the relatively uniform pony character models would certainly have played a role in the 'transfiguration', but the number of characters suddenly shifting between scenes (translation errors/miscommunication on Sunbow's part leading to AKOM botching several key details)?

Isn't there also 2 Baby Lickety Splits at one point?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »

Isn't there also 2 Baby Lickety Splits at one point?
Yep, that was so good of an error that i took a screenshot of it (by the way thanks for reminding me where it came from).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:00:07 AM by Jorgito93 »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
Yep, that was so good of an error that i took a screenshot of it (by the way thanks for reminding me where it came from).

NO! One is more than enough.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »

NO! One is more than enough.

Hasbro clearly thought otherwise, given that they made three O.O
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Syreada

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
I love animation errors! I have found many (lots of which have been highlighted in this thread) in pony episodes. Jem always makes me laugh a little harder because, I can understand to a degree how people might mix up, hey this pony is this colour and this pony is this colour, but when you have a cast of human characters, who are all very different looking, it seems really hilarious that you'd end up with Aja standing next to herself. But animation flubs are always hilarious.

My favorite pony moment though is more of a curiosity rather than a "mistake" there is a scene where Gusty is walking (I want to say this is during The End of Flutter Valley, but I'm not certain. Anyway for whatever reason she decides to dig her horn into the ground and say "My horn itches" THAT MADE IT INTO THE FINAL SCRIPT? AND GOT ANIMATED? LOL WHAT? So hilarious.
Thanks DreamvalleyMLP for the avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal