collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..  (Read 8262 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Re: I just kinds feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
If I'm looking for ponies, I'm looking for ponies. If I'm looking for dolls they're likely gonna be MH or one of the more fairytale inspired lines (Haven't made my mind up if I wanna get some EAH or Descendants yet. Can't choose!) I want different things from both. EQG tries to be both and for me kinda fails at being either.

I don't necessarily think that EQG is made for people who want ponies--much less G1 ponies--though. To be honest I think many of us have a different kind of bond with G1 and that even if Hasbro tried to replicate it that might not actually work for us the way we think it would. And more importantly, would it work with their current market: today's kids? Sure adults have more money, but kids are (usually) the target for toys and to me there's always something odd about a parent trying to live vicariously through their kids by trying to push certain toys on them. (My cousins went through this with Barbie and for them that made 'em hate it.)

Just a few thoughts. :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
And here in the Netherlands, you have much greater quality dolls from Monster High/Ever After etc for about the same price.
Which is actually why I cant see myself buying any more of them, other than the one EqG doll I had (Target Exclusive Pinkie).
For example, I remeber back when the Novi Stars dolls first came out, and the first thing I thought of when I saw their price tag was "They want $20 for a small (in comparison) doll that you can't "really" pose? For that price, I'd better off buying a MH doll - at least they are poseable with articulation and bigger."  And this coming from someone that has no problem shelling out $30 - $50+ on anime figures that are around the height as (or smaller than) the Novis were.

So in a lot of ways, I feel the same about the EqG dolls, at least when they first came out. I am not sure on how their quality is nowadays, and if they added more articulation beyond knees and elbows.

Truthfully, I am kinda surprised that EqG is still around, although I honestly think if it werent for the fact they are part of MLP, they would have gone the same way as Novi Stars, Pinkie Cooper, ect.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
Just because it's different than what you had during your childhood doesn't mean it's not the same brand. They're both toys of brightly colored ponies with symbols on their butts.

I have to ask, is it really so big of a deal that some of them have molded hair? In a lot of cases, I prefer the look of brushable hair, myself, and it avoids issues with paint quality on the hair, but there are a lot of ponies with molded hair that look great, too. I don't see how that makes it 'not a real MLP' just because you can't brush its hair.

Not to mention, getting the hair to look nice is really tedious and time consuming. After getting a big lot from Goodwill, I remember spending hours every day for weeks getting their hair fixed up.

I don't really see Equestria Girls as a threat to the main MLP line, either, since they're aimed at two different market segments, and a slightly older demographic. Some kids like MLP and like playing with dolls, or maybe they're more into dolls and this is a way to get them to like ponies.  I do wish they'd introduce as many new characters with the ponies as they did with the dolls, but that's out of my hands.

As for the blind bag sets, I'm still amazed people are complaining about it just because they're molded figures. Because let's be honest, if these were all brushables with the new playsets, we'd see a lot more excitement about it... except then they'd likely be priced more than most of us are willing to pay. As they are they're at a pretty good price for some fairly nice-looking toys that were made with a unique mold that's likely to never be used again. They're a great deal better than the facades that came with the early G4s.

And It seems like a lot of people are glossing over a lot of the nice G4 stuff that's come out (like the Canterlot Castle and Rarity's Boutique playsets and the Power Ponies) just to harp on the fact that there aren't many new characters made as brushables.  It annoys me, too, when I see a cool character design in FiM and know that the only way I'll have one on my shelf is to have a custom made of them. But I don't let that ruin G4 for me, since there's also a lot I can look forward to.

I think the thing that gets me the most is saying 'x is not really x' because it's not exactly the same as it was. My Little Pony was introduced over 30 years ago. A lot can change over that amount of time, and each generation is a product of its own time, and can never be duplicated. It can maintain certain core characteristics, but it will be different.

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
Although I watched the first Equestria Girls movie and it was more tolerable than I expected it to be, I don't like the dolls at all.

They look like ugly Monster High rip-offs and just are not appealing at all. I thought the point of MLP is it was a series of toys/dolls that aren't human/humanoid?

Howver I think MLP is still itself,there are lots and lots of regular pony stuff. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

As for molded hair ponies- I love them. They are the main thing I collect! I can't really maintain or style the hair of the brushables properly. That is part of the reason why I got rid of all my G3s.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:22:32 PM by Shadoweon »

Offline PeachyPie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
I'm a die-hard G1 girl. Anything other than that I just don't feel like it's MLP. I might be living in the past, but it's nice here....
 :good: :silly:

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
Myes, I find it strange that it feels as if Hasbro is focusing on the dolls when it's the ponies that are popular.
  well , there is more money on the dolls market :)
basic dolls retails for 12, basic pony for 5 :)
that is why they need to release all of the basic ponies on the FS size  15-16 dllrs ,but we have so few of them on this size :(
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
I feel like the investment has been moving away from brushable ponies.  A lot of it is going into Equestria Girls which has have at least as many characters as the brushables.  I feel the approach of brushables is a defeatist attitude.  They don't invest in the line with new characters and poses, kids aren't interested because of the lack of variety, they don't see the reason to invest in it.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
I'm a die-hard G1 girl. Anything other than that I just don't feel like it's MLP. I might be living in the past, but it's nice here....

It is nice there, I love all thoese pastel worlds! Lol we will have to go back in time and be friends.

But as far as liveing in the past just as a personal prefrence
Even my music is 60's and 80's

But even so die hard G1 fans sometimes tend to scratch thair head some things this is just mine. I do not hate G4 or dolls I just can't relate the brands
As one same thing.

It's sorta like I work around a lot of old folk and
I dyed my hair pink reasently and some of them hated it looked at me
And almost puked, asked me if I was stupid. Some wondered if I smoked O.o
Others loved it and wanted to dye thair hair pink too.

My point is that everyone sees things diffrently and some will love it some will hate it some don't mind. It's all ok and we are all intiled to our opinons and they are just who makes us who we are.

:accomplished:

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
My point is that everyone sees things diffrently and some will love it some will hate it some don't mind. It's all ok and we are all intiled to our opinons and they are just who makes us who we are.

I love you for saying this.

I sometimes get this feeling from people who grew up with G1 that they hate anything not G1 and look down on those of us who don't absolutely love the first generation of ponies like they do. It's nice to have someone say "Hey, I'm not a fan of what you like/I don't get it, but that's okay!" without making it seem like their opinion is the only opinion that matters.

I guess I'm trying to say that you did a good job of not talking down to people who enjoy an aspect of My Little Pony that you don't enjoy. That makes it a lot harder for people to start unnecessary arguments. :iconclap:
Instagram / Want List

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
Quoted for truth. <3
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
My biggest frustration with G4 is the lack of unique ponies.  It's all about the Mane Six.  Lately it seems that all the new non-Manes are exclusives outside the US.  If you look at G1, there's one Glory.  There's one Whizzer.  There's one Bow Tie.  They weren't remade thirty times over and sold again and again.  It was rare to even have one re-released in a different year and when they did it, it was in the same pose and colors.  Twinkle Eyes weren't released as So-Softs, for example.  But the G4 Mane Six are released in every line they come up with.
I feel like the investment has been moving away from brushable ponies.  A lot of it is going into Equestria Girls which has have at least as many characters as the brushables.  I feel the approach of brushables is a defeatist attitude.  They don't invest in the line with new characters and poses, kids aren't interested because of the lack of variety, they don't see the reason to invest in it.
The reason kids aren't interested is because they already have 12 Applejacks, 17 Rainbow Dashs, 37 Fluttershys, 8 Raritys, 14 Twilight Sparkles and 1982398374986509387690128724098239072309487 Pinkie Pies.  Why would they want another one just because this one comes with a different colored comb?
The creators have done that to themselves.  I don't even mind that there are limited poses.  It's just that there are so many background ponies in the show (many of whom are featured characters after a while), there's really no excuse for them not giving us more of a variety in the toy line.  (Plus, as a customizer, it would be nice to have a larger variety of body colors to use so I didn't have to do full body repaints on everything.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:24:30 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »
The one thing I really missed about the start if the g4 line was that there were a good variety of pony brushables. Flitterheart, Honeybuzz, Diamond Rose, ect. I do like that Lily Blossom is still around, but she was one of the lucky ones (I guess it kinda helped that she looks like she is related to Bubbles/Muffins, as far as popularity goes).

Nowadays it seems they keep the new brushable characters in sets or not release them everywhere. *stares at a pic of Holly Dash and cries*
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

I love you for saying this.

I sometimes get this feeling from people who grew up with G1 that they hate anything not G1 and look down on those of us who don't absolutely love the first generation of ponies like they do. It's nice to have someone say "Hey, I'm not a fan of what you like/I don't get it, but that's okay!" without making it seem like their opinion is the only opinion that matters.

I guess I'm trying to say that you did a good job of not talking down to people who enjoy an aspect of My Little Pony that you don't enjoy. That makes it a lot harder for people to start unnecessary arguments. :iconclap:

Well thank you so much!

And I belive that no matter what gen anyone likes we should all repecct eachother and eachothers opinons. And I am glad that we can all come here and share our ideas and opinons I mean that's why the internet was created not to bring navitive things but to share information.

I am glad that I have a grate comunity to come to everyday and be able to share my passing thoughts to. And with this comunity we have been able to share A LOT of knowlage.

And your comment to me was very heart warming.
Almost made me cry
 :sad:

:accomplished:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
Totally agree with you. I hate the dolls with a passion, and I will never in my life buy one. If I want a doll collection, I take out my old Barbies.
It's called My Little PONY for a reason, and I hate what Hasbro has been doing recently.
I even wish we could have a separate forum here so that all EQ dolls topics can just disappear from my eyes.

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:53 AM »

My thoughts exactly :biggrin: although I don't collect them G2 have grown on me! I was also saddened when they made MLP into dolls as I found Megan & Molly annoying as a child (in the G1 movies anyway). :lol:

Babydoll~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal