collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Fridge Brillance of G1 Pegasus Ponies  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
The Fridge Brillance of G1 Pegasus Ponies
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:36:03 AM »
I was reading about everyone's favorite winged horse from Greek Mythology and realized something about how the pegasi were characterized in G1.  In Greek Mythology, Pegasus was close to the Muses and seen as a symbol of wisdom and inspiration. While it was not exclusive to them, the bulk of the early pegasi especially were related to the arts and intellectual pursuits.

-Medley is a musician
-Both Skydancer and Dancing Butterflies are dancers
-Heart Throb is a hopeless romantic
-North Star is an explorer
-Paradise is a storyteller and historian in the animated series
-Wind Whistler is a singer according to her backcard and the comic and an intellectual in the animated series
-Masquerade is an actress, costume designer, and mistress of disguise
-Princess Pearl is an artist in the comic

Anyone else notice this?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:16:12 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Re: The Fridge Brillance of G1 Pegasus Ponies
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »
Interesting observation. In this same vein, Pegasus also acted as carrier of Zeus' thunderbolts... and what is Firefly's symbol? Yeah.

Also, I see someone frequents TV Tropes.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
Actually was reading Wikipedia.  I wanted to confirm the original Greek special with Pegasos.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »
I was referring to your use of the term "Fridge brilliance" when I brought up TV Tropes

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
What does fridge brilliance even mean?

Interesting observation btw.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
It's when you realize just how ingenious something is after your done watching/reading it and had time to think about it.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
It's when you realize just how ingenious something is after your done watching/reading it and had time to think about it.

Oh. That's a new one on me.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »

Oh. That's a new one on me.
The term comes from it being something that doesn't hit you until you're going to the fridge later.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 03:03:15 AM »
You forgot one. Masquerade is an actress ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 06:01:37 AM »
I hadn't thought of this before, Al, but it's a really cool observation. 

The term comes from it being something that doesn't hit you until you're going to the fridge later.

I have known about the term for ages, but didn't realise that's why it and others had "fridge" in their names.  I've learned two things from this thread already.

To Leave a Whisper: Frequent TV Tropes enough, and terms like Fridge Logic, and other similar terms like Fridge Horror (when you think back on something in a storyline and realise it's actually pretty scary if thought about in a certain way), as well as the countless other terms on that site will soon become a second language to you.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »

To Leave a Whisper: Frequent TV Tropes enough, and terms like Fridge Logic, and other similar terms like Fridge Horror (when you think back on something in a storyline and realise it's actually pretty scary if thought about in a certain way), as well as the countless other terms on that site will soon become a second language to you.

Not to be an old person about this, but I don't think you should have to have niche vocabulary from outside of a community to understand posts made in a community. Especially considering that not all the people on this forum use English as a first language. I have never heard this and it is my first language but I have no idea whether this has transmitted to the UK or if I am just genuinely old now.

Either way, MLP has its own seriously big amount of jargon to contend with without needing to swot up on external jargon.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »

Not to be an old person about this, but I don't think you should have to have niche vocabulary from outside of a community to understand posts made in a community. Especially considering that not all the people on this forum use English as a first language. I have never heard this and it is my first language but I have no idea whether this has transmitted to the UK or if I am just genuinely old now.

Either way, MLP has its own seriously big amount of jargon to contend with without needing to swot up on external jargon.

I think as long as the jargon is explained, it is kind of fun. There have been lots of things that I hear people say, but I only learn what it means when someone on a thread like this explains it. I personally have used what I have learned by accident to not sound like a silly head when I am hanging out with friends!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »

I think as long as the jargon is explained, it is kind of fun. There have been lots of things that I hear people say, but I only learn what it means when someone on a thread like this explains it. I personally have used what I have learned by accident to not sound like a silly head when I am hanging out with friends!

And it was only in the title, the terms used in the actual thread itself were all normal language and easily understood. I too, didn't get it until I thought about it, but since it wasn't used in the thread itself until later, it didn't bother me. I got what the thread itself was talking about, the interesting correlation between ancient lore and G1 pegasus ponies.

Back OT, I think that's really cool. I've always liked the naming systems of early G1, they always seem to make sense any way you look at it, and that's is super awesome. I think someone pretty bright must have left the team in the later years though, because some of those names got DODGY.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
Which names would you say were dodgy and what year would you say it started?
I can think of a name from Year Five that's kinda dodgy: Pillow Talk

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
You forgot one. Masquerade is an actress ;)
Thanks, I added that as well as that she designs her costumes and is a mistress of disguise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal