collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony the Movie on Discovery Family  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
My Little Pony the Movie on Discovery Family
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
Those with Discovery Family take note.  After the Season 5 premier, they're premiering the 1986 My Little Pony movie at Noon as part of Pony Day.

I wonder if at least the MLP side of My Little Pony and Friends will start airing too.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony the Movie on Discovery Family
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »
Oh thats cool! Hopefully lots of people get a chance to watch it on tv!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
This still doesn't make up for them taking Alf off of the rotation... LOL.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »

some one else that remembers ALF thank you I was beginning to think I was the only one  :lol:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »

some one else that remembers ALF thank you I was beginning to think I was the only one  :lol:
I'm glad that there could be a prospect of older MLP episodes on tv again! It's a big step to even air the movie!! Newer generations can benefit from the beauty and wonder (and educational advisors) of G1 cartoons...

I can hijack any thread to talk about Alf and ponies...  :devious:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »

I'm glad that there could be a prospect of older MLP episodes on tv again! It's a big step to even air the movie!! Newer generations can benefit from the beauty and wonder (and educational advisors) of G1 cartoons...

I've noticed that they've been airing episodes of the original Transformers series and Jem, maybe they could throw us a bone and air some G1 episodes. I'm surprised they don't already considering how big MLP is now.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »

I used to watch Alf all the time and that one with the robot girl who I thiiiink got played by the punky Brewster kid. I think
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
When does this show? I want to set my DVR for the movie
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Amazing news I'm sure its to re-introduce the smooze! Hopefully its a hit and kids beg for more G1 stuff!

For Sale Wants

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »

I've noticed that they've been airing episodes of the original Transformers series and Jem, maybe they could throw us a bone and air some G1 episodes. I'm surprised they don't already considering how big MLP is now.

Maybe the MLP cartoon being so very multi-part explains part of their reluctance?

And being paired up with the "And Friends" part.  Moondreamers was okay, but I could live without hearing "Go, go, potatoes!" ever again.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
That is great news! I hope the new generation of pony fans will appreciate it!  ^.^

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »

The original 80's cartoons for those are actually showing late at night when most kids are asleep sadly. Unless someone is recording them with a DVR like I am, kids really won't get to see them XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 06:05:06 AM »
Actually, it's early in the morning, 5-7 ET.  Though that is overnight on the West Coast.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
This makes me think back the the Q&A panel with Hasbro at the 25th anniversary Fair. We were asking why the G3 cartoons didn't have any action or bad guys. Hasbro said that they showed the original cartoons to a test group of moms (of target aged kids). Hasbro claims the moms said that those cartoons were "too scary" for their kids. I can't help wondering if Hasbro still believes that the G1 cartoons are still "too scary" for today's kids. If so... UUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailorstitch

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
This makes me think back the the Q&A panel with Hasbro at the 25th anniversary Fair. We were asking why the G3 cartoons didn't have any action or bad guys. Hasbro said that they showed the original cartoons to a test group of moms (of target aged kids). Hasbro claims the moms said that those cartoons were "too scary" for their kids. I can't help wondering if Hasbro still believes that the G1 cartoons are still "too scary" for today's kids. If so... UUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailorstitch

You beat me to it. Today's kids are, quite frankly, too bubblewrapped for 80s cartoons. And I say that as someone who 100% disapproves of the idea. Couple that with a society plugged into social media and big business that either chooses or feels pressure to appease that plugged in audience, and the two things (bubblewrapped kids and social media) are bound to create an artistic landscape where children--especially girls--are going to get shielded from any and every thing that could so much as be perceived as violent (i.e. for boys). Friendship is Magic does a fairly good job at stepping around these issues, but even it has had its feet held to the fire a time or two.

In the wake of shows like The Simpons, Family Guy, South Park and American Dad--or even stuff like Adventure Time--the general public has acknowledged that it is okay for cartoons 'for teens and adults' to exist. But as the ability to create mature (themed / contented--which of course doesn't always equal mature behavior...) cartoon programming has become re-accepted* a much more divisive line between children's cartoons and adults cartoons has arisen. One of the things that made many 80s / 90s cartoons great, growing up as a kid, was that my parents, grandparents or aunt would watch them with me. But they could do that without losing brain cells because those cartoons often had multiple layers. That's also part of the reason many of us are eager for boxed sets of our childhood favorites, and is part of why (I figure) they hold up.

Sometimes I feel that the parents informing the decisions made for today's cartoons view those cartoons as a baby sitter for their children. Not only is this absurd because they are letting a stranger (and worse an inanimate object!) raise their kids, it is also a crying shame because by shielding kids from media we also avoid opportunities to use it as a teaching tool. Of course that requires being there, knowing what they are watching, and seizing the moment--which (hopefully) brings my point full circle.

I'm sure there are counter-arguments (both parents working, scientific studies, etc.) and ultimately every parent has the right to raise their children in whatever way they feel is right. But since this was brought up, and it's a topic I'm fairly passionate about (both as an aunt and a lover of 80s and 90s cartoons) I figured I would weigh in here.

Notes:

* Did you know Bugs Bunny was originally made for adults? How many here grew up with him, Daffy, Elmer, etc? How many have dropped an Acme anvil on someone's head, tied granny to the railroad tracks or tricked someone into leaping from dangerous heights or running into a wall? :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:57:21 AM by ladybastilla »

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal