collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mlp tales  (Read 3646 times)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Mlp tales
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
Just because it's a different setting doesn't make it a new generation - both the cartoon style and the toys and merchandise are clearly G1. For Tales had been G2, it would probably have looked something like this!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think the confusion arises from that particular image, which is actually the cover of a DVD release of MLP Tales.

The original VHS cover though is clearly G1:-

Also, MLP Tales came out in 1992.
G2 didn't come out until 1997.

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »
I consider it G1- like others have said, the toy style didn't change- it was like a side arm sister show to the other G1 show and movies. I grew up with it, loved it :) Just lost an auction on a Clover yesterday, lol!

I wish I could come into a thread about MLP Tales for once and not see someone bringing in a negative opinion to an otherwise uncharged thread. That isn't what the post was asking about. MLP Tales is near and dear to my heart right along with the other G1 shows, and it makes me sad.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
There was only one other G1 show.

It should also be noted the comic in the U.K. continued up until 1993 and had a few stories involving the Tales characters towards the end.  Therefore, even the media ties Tales to G1.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
It's G1.

People that say it's G2 or G anything else but G1 are ignorant of MLP history...sorry, but you don't know MLP.

EVEN if you go by the animation the toy and animation are pretty much the same. The only thing different in the tales cartoon is it's set to a different theme story, but the animation looks pretty much identical to what came before.

So, people who call it G2 don't know history and are doomed to look silly IMO. It's like calling Equestria Girls G5.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
And when I said it Tales was the beginning of the end of G1, I mean it was the last global endeavor of G1.  And the fact the toys of the Tales characters were never widely sold outside of Europe might add to people's confusion.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
G1  ;)
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »

I wish I could come into a thread about MLP Tales for once and not see someone bringing in a negative opinion to an otherwise uncharged thread. That isn't what the post was asking about. MLP Tales is near and dear to my heart right along with the other G1 shows, and it makes me sad.
Well, you'll be pleased to hear that I love MLP Tales, and wish it had been on air longer (in my opinion, they axed it just as it was really starting to get good, and it was good already).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »
Tales is definitely G1. The 7 Pony Friends (a.k.a the Tales girls) were part of the (European only) 1993 toyline.
Here are the girls in toy form
:http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/graphics/i-tales1.jpg
And these:
http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/graphics/i-tales2.jpg

Images courtesy of Dream Valley kimsites. I hope this is not wrong to copy them here.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline MidnightMocha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that I love MLP Tales, and wish it had been on air longer (in my opinion, they axed it just as it was really starting to get good, and it was good already).

I mean I'm not gonna pretend it was a masterpiece or on the same level as other shows, but I love it for what it was when I was a child, and I'm not sure why it's held against the same standards as cartoons today, and then criticized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
I consider it G1- like others have said, the toy style didn't change- it was like a side arm sister show to the other G1 show and movies. I grew up with it, loved it :) Just lost an auction on a Clover yesterday, lol!

Where was the negativity in the thread about Tales?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MidnightMocha

• View Profile
Mlp tales
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
@hathorcat- there isn't much explicitly, but there always seems to be a little and I felt it wasn't really called for given that the thread doesn't ask for an opinion about the show. It's not a big deal but it seems to happen a lot with regard to Tales for some reason? I guess same could be said for G3.5.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:14:32 PM by MidnightMocha »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
Ok. I will admit I dont see any negativity in the thread at all that is why I was confused :)

I am sure if you read it that way no one meant it. Now a thread about G3.5 in any shape or form...then everyone will be negative.
Loa is my love god!

Offline MidnightMocha

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »

Ok. I will admit I dont see any negativity in the thread at all that is why I was confused :)

I am sure if you read it that way no one meant it. Now a thread about G3.5 in any shape or form...then everyone will be negative.

Oh no I'm not saying it's even necessarily negative, but to say that Tales took all the magic out of G1 sounds a bit harsh to me, that's all! It was pretty magical to 6 yr old me who loved talking ponies. I just loved Tales as a kid and have seen it get a lot of backlash because people consider it separate from G1. I totally agree G3.5 gets a lot worse lol

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
Ahhh...I get you.

Did the poster perhaps mean "magic" literally though. Tales became a very slice of life show - ponies going to school every day, sleeping in beds, cooking in kitchens, hanging out in cafes [and not a unicorn or pegasus in site]. Whereas pre Tale there were multiple types of ponies, who did magic, who were more often found in a castle or a field or on a wild adventure with some mythical creature. Maybe thats what taking the magic out of the show meant?
Loa is my love god!

Offline MidnightMocha

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »
Ahhh...I get you.

Did the poster perhaps mean "magic" literally though. Tales became a very slice of life show - ponies going to school every day, sleeping in beds, cooking in kitchens, hanging out in cafes [and not a unicorn or pegasus in site]. Whereas pre Tale there were multiple types of ponies, who did magic, who were more often found in a castle or a field or on a wild adventure with some mythical creature. Maybe thats what taking the magic out of the show meant?

It's entirely possible! Just not what it sounded like so could totally be my problem, lol. It was slice of life! I think that means I must be a pretty boring person because my younger self thought that was awesome- I was like, if a pony is going to school and baking and such...well, I do those things! What if I'M a pony?

But I digress- you're probably right :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal