collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show Me: Your Pony Diamond in the Rough  (Read 1148 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Show Me: Your Pony Diamond in the Rough
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:57:01 PM »
Have you ever come across a valuable pony that to the untrained eye looked worthless? Maybe a beauty who just needed to be uncovered or a pony so rare any condition is of value? I find that sort of thing rather interesting. When I first started collecting, I was shocked to see how much a Nirvana could be worth with missing characteristics, and as I've been adding to my herd and bait box, I have been surprised what a simple spa day can do for a pony.

I am planning on making a presentation on customizing, and I would like to include some education on ethical baits, so if I could use your pic to demonstrate the need to think carefully before altering older ponies, let me know. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline pickwick_pirate

• Trade Count: (+23)
    • View Profile
Re: Show Me: Your Pony Diamond in the Rough
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:27:26 AM »
I found an eyelashless, symbol less piggy pony. So decided to draw on her butt and give her some nice lipstick with a felt pen. Then, 10 years later found out what she was! I've managed to fade most of the pen now and done her hair for her again. I do have very old photos from when I first realised she may be legit and could get more of her slightly improved.

I had intended on repainting her symbols correctly this time but, I love her as she is. 

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
Have you ever come across a valuable pony that to the untrained eye looked worthless? Maybe a beauty who just needed to be uncovered or a pony so rare any condition is of value? I find that sort of thing rather interesting. When I first started collecting, I was shocked to see how much a Nirvana could be worth with missing characteristics, and as I've been adding to my herd and bait box, I have been surprised what a simple spa day can do for a pony.

I am planning on making a presentation on customizing, and I would like to include some education on ethical baits, so if I could use your pic to demonstrate the need to think carefully before altering older ponies, let me know. :)

I wish i had some pictures. I have some good examples of this. I'll try to remember this thread when I dig them up.

Are you also including De-Flocking? (One of my pet peeves.) I've seen manyponies de-flocked in better condition than ones in my collection. I would have loved to traded up if someone didn't want the flocking. There are so many ways to clean and restore so soft ponies and so many more rubbed ones out there if you want a "clean" one.
~Foxtale~

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
I think its the bond I have with baby applejack. When I got her I found out she had caked in rust really bad so bad it reached her mane. So I rehaired her, repainted her eyes and symbols. I would never think of getting rid of her. Maybe find a upgrade someday downt he line. Though has not happened yet and she still is a very cute pony in good condition.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
Well, I bought a dirty g1 Blossom at a bootsale a few years ago, among a few other ponies, then stored them away in my shed.

Two weeks ago, I re-discovered her, gave her a wash and found her to be an early flat-hoof version! Never noticed before as I had an untrained eye on these things!  :angel:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 04:29:21 PM »
I wish i had some pictures. I have some good examples of this. I'll try to remember this thread when I dig them up.

Are you also including De-Flocking? (One of my pet peeves.) I've seen manyponies de-flocked in better condition than ones in my collection. I would have loved to traded up if someone didn't want the flocking. There are so many ways to clean and restore so soft ponies and so many more rubbed ones out there if you want a "clean" one.

I hadn't planned to mention deflocking since my presentation will be aimed at beginer customizers, but I may mention it now that you say something! I'm sure many a lovely pony were lost to deflocking.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Here's Baby Sweetberry a few months ago . . . My mom bought her as a present for my sister, and I've been sunfading her.

It's been a month or so and she's improving! The pen is fading and she's a pretty shade of white. She still needs more work and her eye, obviously, needs to be repainted. But I have high hopes for her! It would help if she could be out all day, not just when my sister is at work XD We've had some fun times scrambling to hide her. She's normally properly covered in tin foil, etc., but she got caught in a rainstorm yesterday, lol, and I've removed it all to let her dry properly.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
We found a lot of ponies at carboot sales years back that were hard to find or unknown at the time we found them due to limited info on European ponies but I sort of feel like they don't count here.

There are also quite a lot I picked up and cleaned up and they look much happier now, but still there are two ponies that really fit this bill for me - they are precious *to me* rather than valuable or rare in a global sense.

All my childhood I wanted Glory, especially, but both Glory and Moondancer.
The UK is perhaps the ONLY country in the mainstream market that didn't get any form of these ponies, despite the stories.

But I found these two at a carboot sale in the middle 1990s. I don't know how they got here. As you can see, they both have symbol wear.

They also both came to me without tails, and when I got them, they were also quite dirty.

When we got online, I traded with a lovely person in the US for a Glory and a Moondancer tail so that they could be complete.

I have Glory MOC now and would like Moondancer MOC, but I will never ever replace my loose ones even if they are mint. Because they were ponies I dreamed of as a child, and I found them here, as though they came here to join my pony herd ;)

Here they are as they are today, 20 years on:

My randomly, impossibly, "British" Glory and Moondancer ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »

All my childhood I wanted Glory, especially, but both Glory and Moondancer.
Here they are as they are today, 20 years on:
My randomly, impossibly, "British" Glory and Moondancer ;)
Gorgeous ponies and great taste!  :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
gabumon has a great link with bait reference.
I go for ponies that are extremely common and have a haircut, chews, and other quite obvious flaws before I customize.
I always check under their feet to see the stamps, and wiki reference to identify eye color, symbols etc... Sometimes even a common pony can have hidden variation.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline aintnobuffalo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
gabumon has a great link with bait reference.
I go for ponies that are extremely common and have a haircut, chews, and other quite obvious flaws before I customize.
I always check under their feet to see the stamps, and wiki reference to identify eye color, symbols etc... Sometimes even a common pony can have hidden variation.

That bait reference is very helpful! I will have to include it as a resource in my presentation. Thanks everyone for sharing some stories and pics
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
My International Princess Sparkle! I got her in baity condition for about $2 and had a lot of fun fixing her up! Here a couple pics.

Before. No saddle, tangled hair in her seam and crown, markings, plus ratty hair and a dirty battery compartment!

After!

I created a custom new saddle, cleaned her up, and now she lights up again! :D For a $2 investment I'm very pleased!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
My International Princess Sparkle! I got her in baity condition for about $2 and had a lot of fun fixing her up! Here a couple pics.
I created a custom new saddle, cleaned her up, and now she lights up again! :D For a $2 investment I'm very pleased!

Super work!  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal