collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Aquarium fish  (Read 2737 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Aquarium fish
« on: January 18, 2024, 01:24:03 PM »
I've been saving for a nano aquarium I can put a betta fish and shrimp in. Lots of plants too! Today I have finally narrowed down everything I need to get between three sites, Amazon, Etsy and Chewy. I followed this helpful blog post to get started (but I found cheaper/in stock items elsewhere). I don't have all the money yet but I was able to place my Etsy order sans live plants. I'll save those for after the tank can be set up :)

The tank is 7 gallons and rimless, all glass. I'm using black lava rocks and dragon wood as my hardscape. Plants I picked out are java fern, java moss, anubias nana petite (small clusters of green leaves) and cryptocoryne wendtii green (a broad leaf background plant). I'll also have mineral rocks for the shrimp and a couple of marimo moss balls.

I bought three hides/beds for the betta and a tunnel and cave for the shrimp.

Food is all picked out as is the bacteria starter for cycling and a test kit. I wanted to cycle without using other fish and I don't have or know anyone with an established tank, so this liquid starter adds stuff to grow the bacteria needed.

I'm really excited! I've always loved fish tanks and one of my dreams is to have a huge one, or several, with huge fish like oscars and knife fish. I'd also love to have a big ecosystem tank. I was never interested too much in saltwater tanks though I think they're neat. Cow fish are especially adorable.

For the actual fish, I looked on eBay at betta males, US based sellers. They all had mixed reviews and feedback. Plus, I'd rather interact with him before I buy, you know? So I'll be going to the local pet stores to see what I can find. Same for the shrimp and moss balls. That's not for a while yet though.

I had a betta once, he was dark blue and purple. Back then, you could only find one fin type, the veil tail, I think. They were kind of new to the mainstream. I didn't keep him in a bowl though, I knew better even then. He was in a 5 gallon round desk tank I set up on my dresser :) He lived a long time, about 6 years. He had a great personality and would come out and see me.

I'd love to hear about your fish! Do you have tank?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Aquarium fish
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 07:12:38 PM »
Bettas are wonderful. I’ve had, I think, 7 males in my past fishkeeping. My last one I lost about 2 years ago and I haven’t kept a tank since. They are such fun little creatures. That blog you linked looks like pretty good advice. Be careful with a tank without a lid because some bettas can be jumpers! Though I’ve really only had that problem with short-finned females, myself. I, too, always preferred to pick out my bettas in person at the store. I’m sure you’ll find the perfect one once your tank is ready.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 08:57:53 AM »
I didn't know bettas could jump out! They do sell lids for the model I'm getting... I can also make one myself. I will keep this in mind!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Nella

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 02:14:23 PM »
I have a 180 liters aquarium myself. You are aware a smaller tank is more difficult to keep stable so you'll need to clean / check more than a bigger one? My first aquarium was 60 liters so I don't have nano experience myself. I've never had Betta's myself, but my father had one when I was young. They are stunning and I've seen so many on a yearly fish-event I go to. There are so many colors and different fin-shapes available.

Enjoy the setup and your future live-tv fish fun :)
Link to my salesthread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377651.0.html.

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:54:55 AM »
Nano tanks are great! Like Bella said, check those parameters often, but ahh, so exciting, I hope it all goes well :D Bettas are beautiful. I've never kept one though, but I've kept cichlids and gourami in the past.
For a short while, we had a nano saltwater tank, but sadly it crashed (not the actual tank, but it was a total collapse - and too far to go within the amount of time required to save it to a store that carried saltwater stuff :'( ). saltwater crashes are harsh, especially in a small tank.
If we get a tank again, it will be a regular freshwater one. I would love to have gouramis again. they're so sweet :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 09:39:23 AM »
I had looked at gourami too! My choices were betta, gourami, molly, or guppy with friends (shrimp, snails, crabs, etc.). I settled on the betta and shrimp because I had one before, never had the shrimp though.

My stuff should be coming today! :D I will wait to order the plants until I get the rest set up. The heater is delayed and I just got an email from Chewy that they are out of the dragon wood. I found some on Etsy. I also decided to add some floating plants to my plant order.

I realized yesterday I forgot to order a cleaning kit and tap water cleaner.

edit: It came! The tank is perfect! It fits on my desk in just the right spot :D Should I put something under it? Like a towel or craft foam? I know bacteria can accumulate on the bottom of glass that house hamsters and other small critters. May I can get a piece of bamboo custom cut to go under it.

I've gotten everything except the heater from Amazon and the stuff from Etsy and Chewy. Once everything is here I'll order the plants, it's a local seller so they should arrive overnight. Then I can set it up :D The nitrifying starter makes it so you can add your fish right away. Of course, I will test the water. But once the plants are in I can go fish and shrimp shopping! :frolic:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:10:19 PM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Nella

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 02:01:25 PM »
Don't you need to wait a bit longer to introduce fish? I'm used to the bigger tanks. Those take weeks before fish can be added....

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Offline DracoKat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 03:51:36 PM »
Take a look at Aquabid for bettas. I used to purchase from there when I bred bettas long ago. Beautiful fish, I love them so much!
I have a betta in my 29g planted tank and she's the queen of the tetras lol.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 03:56:47 PM »
This is what it says. This product was recommended from the blog post I linked to. The fine print says to add fish after testing and all conditions are met. It also says to use stress coat, but I bought something specifically for betta fish that does the same thing.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Nella

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 12:00:12 AM »
Ah yes. We have something similar but keep testing the water because it can fluctuate and nitrite spikes will kill fast.

Have you decided on the color of Betta you're looking for?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 03:29:34 AM »
Absolutely!

No, my other betta was a dark blue and purple even though purple is my least favorite color. I'd love a copper one or orange and red but since I'm going to the pet shops they probably won't have those colors. I'm more interested in the fishes personality than looks :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 11:25:03 AM »
OOoooo!   I can't wait to see what you do.  I had a yellow/orange betta in a planted 20 gallon years ago.  His name was Hercules.   Loved him so much.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 08:50:20 AM »
I blew my budget so I have to wait until next month to get the rest of my stuff. I still need drift wood. I want to buy a back up heater that's adjustable incase the well reviewed but cheap one doesn't work or dies. Then I need to order the plants.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 02:27:31 PM »
I have everything I need for my betta tank :frolic: I still have to buy the plants and set up a quarantine for them. I bought another tank just for that purpose. The seller is on Etsy but he's local and has mainly good reviews, but a few people said his plants came with snails. I personally don't mind snails but I know they can devastate plants and I guess they aren't good for shrimp either? (they might eat them?)

Does anyone have tips on treating the plants? I read that you should rinse them off, then soak them in 3% peroxide and water for up to 20minutes. Rinse again, and plant in a quarantine tank for two weeks to see if there are any pests. My questions are: Should I treat the water in the quarantine tank? Should I put the light on them? My light is a daylight cycle LED.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts