collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 92886 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2022, 03:04:28 PM »
I love that Zeno cover too. Also, the cover of Yona 10, 17, 19, 21 and many others. The cover of 35 is another one of my favorites.  :) 

Yona 35 comes out in the US in early April.  I don't mind if we wait until then to continue our in-depth discussion.  That way we'll have more to talk about and you'd have a chance to catch up on Yona. :)

I have a lot of questions about what's happening in 33 and 34.

Spoiler
Some things that I thought were established facts about Yuhon's death turned out to be far from the truth. 

I understand what you meant now when you said Yona and Suwon are caught in a cycle of revenge.

Do you know what volume Yona is on in Japan?  I know the US releases are behind the Japanese but the last volume I can find scheduled for US release is vol 37. which will be published in October. 

That Saiyuuki cover is pretty.  The discussion about manga art made me start thinking about other series with pretty art and I found this one from A Silent Voice

Spoiler

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Some of the Act 1 Daiya covers are very nice too. :)

I've been looking at Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku but I'm not sure if it's right for me.  I found out there is an anime of it, but I think it's only on Amazon Prime.

I'll probably start reading the rest of Takane and Hana so I can finish the series.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:01:25 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2022, 12:52:11 AM »
I think that would make sense. Like I said, I skimmed over it so I know the broad strokes of the flashback and stuff but that's all.

I think 37 is correct at the moment. I believe there are 2 chapters not yet in volume form, so I would imagine 38 to come out in the early summer maybe? Chapters are less frequent for Yona than Daiya.

I have been dipping in and out of Daiya manga. There was a break this week though. Of course, it was a cliffhanger. Sigh. This game is going to go on forever, I swear it is.

That Silent Voice cover is pretty :D

My favourite Daiya cover is probably this one...
Spoiler
Mostly because of what it represents ;) The new boss and his two sidekicks. I genuinely love the bonds built up between Miyuki and Mochi especially, but also Zono. Zono needs more love.

My favourite actual volume is still act 1 vol 47. Although not all of it got animated and bits of it that did are in the OVA not the proper series. Yeah, I seem to have a habit of picking those bits.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2022, 10:15:58 AM »
I been read "Eleceed".... love series...

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2022, 08:28:30 AM »
I think that would make sense. Like I said, I skimmed over it so I know the broad strokes of the flashback and stuff but that's all.

I think 37 is correct at the moment. I believe there are 2 chapters not yet in volume form, so I would imagine 38 to come out in the early summer maybe? Chapters are less frequent for Yona than Daiya.

I have been dipping in and out of Daiya manga. There was a break this week though. Of course, it was a cliffhanger. Sigh. This game is going to go on forever, I swear it is.

That Silent Voice cover is pretty :D

My favourite Daiya cover is probably this one...
Spoiler
Mostly because of what it represents ;) The new boss and his two sidekicks. I genuinely love the bonds built up between Miyuki and Mochi especially, but also Zono. Zono needs more love.

My favourite actual volume is still act 1 vol 47. Although not all of it got animated and bits of it that did are in the OVA not the proper series. Yeah, I seem to have a habit of picking those bits.

That's a great cover with Miyuki, Zono and Mochi.  Mochi is one of my favorite characters now too. :D

I love the cover of Act 1 vol 47 too.  I couldn't find a clear pic but it looked like everyone was on the cover.  :)  Is that volume the one that covers what happens after the Fall Tournament final game with Yakushi?

I can't say that I'm surprised that the current game is still going based on how long it took that other game (you know which one) to play out in the anime.

The newer Sailor Moon Eternal covers are pretty also.  I don't have a good pic of one of them yet though.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 01, 2022, 08:35:31 AM »
Yes, it's the end of Act 1, so ties up the stuff after that autumn final, including the stuff in the 4th and 5th OVA and some other things. There are some details it includes that the animation missed out, like

Spoiler
Mochi's old friends being at Koushien to support him
Furuya with his family in Tokyo - I think that wasn't animated?
Mochi with his Mum and his Grandpa
The full scene with Miyuki going home.
Ochiai's daughter at the ground getting excited about ants.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2022, 07:08:47 PM »
Yes, it's the end of Act 1, so ties up the stuff after that autumn final, including the stuff in the 4th and 5th OVA and some other things. There are some details it includes that the animation missed out, like

Spoiler
Mochi's old friends being at Koushien to support him
Furuya with his family in Tokyo - I think that wasn't animated?
Mochi with his Mum and his Grandpa
The full scene with Miyuki going home.
Ochiai's daughter at the ground getting excited about ants.

Spoiler

I guess the anime can't include everything in the manga due to time limits but I would have loved to see a lot of those scenes expanded instead of just the glimpses we got.  I'm really curious about what happened after Miyuki arrived at the hospital after the game. 

I bought Sailor Moon Eternal 4, Fly Me to the Moon 3 and Haikyuu 4 recently.  I'm still planning on watching the anime for Haikyuu before I get too many manga volumes of it.

I got some comparison pics of Sailor Moon Eternal vs the earlier Kodansha versions.  I'm putting them in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Eternal size compared to other mangas

Size difference between earlier Kodansha version and Eternal

Table of Contents earlier Kodansha version

Table of Contents Eternal

Page from earlier Kodansha version

Same page from Eternal

The "Princess Beryl" error has been corrected

It looks like all of the original full color pages have been restored for this release instead of just the ones at the beginning of each book. I've heard the bonus/short stories have been included in their original places again instead of being pulled out in to a separate volume but the books I looked at today didn't include any those and I don't know what volume they're in. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 04:02:16 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 08, 2022, 09:46:20 AM »
I've caught up a little bit with the Daiya manga lately. I'm not going to spoiler stuff related to the game, but there was a really touching scene which I love and am going to share (in spoiler tag)...

Spoiler
Miyuki's Dad is watching the game :D

I think it's the first time we've EVER seen him directly watching like that.

It's a really lovely couple of scenes across these last two chapters, with a little bit of flashback of a conversation between them before Miyuki went to Seidou, where Miyuki is worried about leaving his Dad on his own if he goes into dorms.

I've always felt Miyuki and his Dad are close, just his Dad works really long hours.

It's lovely to see that in black and white :D

On vol 47...

Spoiler
There is never any direct update on the hospital trip except what is in OVA 4, which is the coach telling the team he's out, which is a surprise to Miyuki as well, and putting Kuramochi in the captain spot for the Jingu tournament. There are some nice scenes of Miyuki being teased for failing to be a good cheerleader as well. But nothing at the hospital, just confirmation of his injury putting him out of Jingu.

The animated OVA includes almost all of that section, except the fact Miyuki is absent from class on the day after the final.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:48:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 09, 2022, 03:28:52 PM »
I've caught up a little bit with the Daiya manga lately. I'm not going to spoiler stuff related to the game, but there was a really touching scene which I love and am going to share (in spoiler tag)...

Spoiler
Miyuki's Dad is watching the game :D

I think it's the first time we've EVER seen him directly watching like that.

It's a really lovely couple of scenes across these last two chapters, with a little bit of flashback of a conversation between them before Miyuki went to Seidou, where Miyuki is worried about leaving his Dad on his own if he goes into dorms.

I've always felt Miyuki and his Dad are close, just his Dad works really long hours.

It's lovely to see that in black and white :D

On vol 47...

Spoiler
There is never any direct update on the hospital trip except what is in OVA 4, which is the coach telling the team he's out, which is a surprise to Miyuki as well, and putting Kuramochi in the captain spot for the Jingu tournament. There are some nice scenes of Miyuki being teased for failing to be a good cheerleader as well. But nothing at the hospital, just confirmation of his injury putting him out of Jingu.

The animated OVA includes almost all of that section, except the fact Miyuki is absent from class on the day after the final.

Spoiler
I love that Miyuki's dad is watching the game too.  I've read a lot of theories that Toku isn't a good father to Miyuki but I think it's probably more along the lines that he's having to support Miyuki as a single parent and needs to work long hours in order to make a living. 

It's interesting that nothing's mentioned about Miyuki at the hospital in the manga.  I was curious because I've seen some people say he fainted after he got there (or in the taxi) due to the stress from playing with his injury.

I need to look for the OVAs on Youtube again and see if there are more parts there now than there were last time I looked and also see if the subs are a little better (no more pet bowls or sudden trips to South America :lol: )

I saw a new manga series that looks interesting.  It's called Ima Koi, Now I'm in Love.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 09, 2022, 04:07:06 PM »
Hrm.

Spoiler
Agreed on Toku and Miyuki. He's an overworked single Dad doing his best. It made me really happy to see because it rubbished all the silly stories about Toku being a nasty unpleasant person. I've seen a few of those and they always rubbed me up the wrong way.

There's always those fans that like to twist things :/

I should add that he's not at the game, he's watching it on TV from his kitchen. :)

Re the Autumn game aftermath, the only thing I can think of is the moment at the end of the game where he flops all over Kuramochi and tells them he sucks at being Captain, but that's about all.  In the end titles they're in the car and Zono is clearly nagging him about something but he's definitely awake. Anything else is probably fanfic speculation, though honestly not unrealistic given the mess he presents as in that scene we do have.

Iirc the first half of OVA 4 is Haruno's scrapbooking and talking about the tournament and stuff. The second half starts with Kataoka reporting to the players about Miyuki's injury, and Miyuki is there too.

But it's not clear which day that is. The fact he's not in class on the Monday but is in uniform during that meeting makes me think it's probably *not* the next day. Maybe the Tuesday? So we really don't know what happened, canon-wise, in-between that car ride and Kataoka telling the team Miyuki is benched.

The OVA omits the empty classroom seat but that's pretty much all. It's literally one panel, I guess they thought it was unnecessary.

I did have a quick look on yt but I can't find the OVA with subs. I did find a montage of clips from it of Miyuki sidelined, but that was all.

The aftermath chapters from vol 47 are probably translated online somewhere but I remember someone saying that there were bits missing and so I don't know how they are listed. I have a feeling they have funny titles, but I can't remember offhand what those are.

Of course, Ima Koi could also mean now (I'm a) fish, depending on the characters used *innocent*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »
(I don't think anyone reads my yaoi musings but anyway  :biggrin: )

I got Therapy Game Vol.1 as a gamble, as I was more than a little put off by the recent crop of darker, more emotional fare that's come out in the genre recently like Caste Heaven (NO NO NO NO NO) or MadK (ugh ... and yet the story is very interesting and the art stunning?? I don't regret reading the first even if it was disgusting). The art for the cover did feel very 'this is going to turn out bad' but ...

I'm so glad I took the gamble!!!! The art is great, you think you know where this is going. but the top is just Too Dang Nice and the bottom is like well crap, I can't do my revenge plan now, heck. It gets complicated when feelings get involved, the bottom is super catty for little reason and it's hysterical, and the shock of formally-straight top falling for a man comes up for ... what? A hot second? Before he goes 'well alright then' and goes with it. I ordered the sequel series, ordered the prequel series that stars this pair's brothers, and went to hunt for Vol.2

.... Vol.2 is sold out  E V E R Y W H E R E. No suppliers in the UK or US, only place I can find it is eBay from Japan.

HECCCCC

Thankfully, an urgent message to a comic store sourced a copy, and I had it posted to me. Oh it was so worth it! I can't wait for more!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2022, 11:16:00 AM »
Hrm.

Spoiler
Agreed on Toku and Miyuki. He's an overworked single Dad doing his best. It made me really happy to see because it rubbished all the silly stories about Toku being a nasty unpleasant person. I've seen a few of those and they always rubbed me up the wrong way.

There's always those fans that like to twist things :/

I should add that he's not at the game, he's watching it on TV from his kitchen. :)

Re the Autumn game aftermath, the only thing I can think of is the moment at the end of the game where he flops all over Kuramochi and tells them he sucks at being Captain, but that's about all.  In the end titles they're in the car and Zono is clearly nagging him about something but he's definitely awake. Anything else is probably fanfic speculation, though honestly not unrealistic given the mess he presents as in that scene we do have.

Iirc the first half of OVA 4 is Haruno's scrapbooking and talking about the tournament and stuff. The second half starts with Kataoka reporting to the players about Miyuki's injury, and Miyuki is there too.

But it's not clear which day that is. The fact he's not in class on the Monday but is in uniform during that meeting makes me think it's probably *not* the next day. Maybe the Tuesday? So we really don't know what happened, canon-wise, in-between that car ride and Kataoka telling the team Miyuki is benched.

The OVA omits the empty classroom seat but that's pretty much all. It's literally one panel, I guess they thought it was unnecessary.

I did have a quick look on yt but I can't find the OVA with subs. I did find a montage of clips from it of Miyuki sidelined, but that was all.

The aftermath chapters from vol 47 are probably translated online somewhere but I remember someone saying that there were bits missing and so I don't know how they are listed. I have a feeling they have funny titles, but I can't remember offhand what those are.

Of course, Ima Koi could also mean now (I'm a) fish, depending on the characters used *innocent*

Daiya

Spoiler
That's really interesting the manga doesn't explain what happened between the time Miyuki arrived at the hospital and the team meeting.  I guess the author thought that it wasn't important to show that part and more important to show Miyuki's absence in class the next day and the reactions of everyone when Kataoka announces that Miyuki is not allowed to play for a few weeks.

I get really irritated when I read stories that say everyone abandoned Eijun when he had yips and no one cared about his well being as punishment for losing the game.  I know that's not true, although I'm sure Eijun probably did feel that way when he was running by himself while everyone else was practicing.  It's clear that Mochi, Miyuki, Haruichi etc.. were very worried but I think they were also at a loss at how to help Eijun overcome the yips.

I picked up Sailor Moon Eternal 5, Haikyuu 5, and Ima Koi, Now I'm in Love 1 yesterday.

The Japanese title for Ima Koi is "Ima Koi wo Shiteimasu."

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2022, 11:52:51 AM »
Ima Koi o shite imasu makes more sense ;)
On Daiya...
Spoiler
I think that I've read the mangaka was pretty burned out by the time he got to vol 47. So probably there were things he didn't go into. I think it's a shame, though. I think a lot of fans wanted to see a dynamic in which Miyuki, Zono and Mochi had more bonding time tbh. I certainly think that by act 2 the friendship between Miyuki and Mochi especially is clear, but also Zono as well to some degree. And Shirasu, who seems to me like defacto vice vice Captain at times.

But I like character bonding moments, so.

On Daiya fandom...
Spoiler
The Daiya fandom is frustrating, honestly. Sadly Eijun fans are the bulk of the problem.

Fanfiction is kind of fine in my view, everyone has the freedom to express how they want to express it. The problem I have is when people try and force their reinvention of the manga on the fandom. There's a lot of toxicity, I've seen a lot of hate aimed at poor Furuya, at Miyuki (that latter I've experienced directly)...I even saw an expletive filled rant aimed at Oota once, which is mad because he's a very unassuming teacher and I can't imagine how anyone could hate him enough to do something like that.

Just a note to add that Yona 38 is apparently due out in May.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 02:23:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #447 on: April 02, 2022, 08:53:20 AM »
I've posted before about reading Toilet-bound Hanako-kun. My plan was to read books 1-2 online to see if I wanted to collect the physical series. I'm... up to date with chapters now. which is several books ahead of what's come out in print. xD "oops" (read all except after-school hanako-kun and vol 0, which I both own in print xD I guess now I can slowly start collecting the series though - I'm really enjoying it)

so now I'm looking for new things to read. again xD I'm planning on buying Dekoboko Sugar Days (+ vol 2 if I like it) soon, and I heard about The White Cat's Revenge As Plotted From The Dragon King's Lap - such a long name haha, btu the art looks really nice, so I'm curious about that one too.
As well as Witch Hat Atelier. such gorgeous art ;A;

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline MissMagicalGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 03, 2022, 01:38:49 AM »
I've been reading Futaribeya and Yuzu the Pet Vet.

Futaribeya is a really wholesome slice of life that kind of a girls love, but it's also an EXTREMELY slow burn, it follows the life of 2 girls from the start of high school throughout their lives, I know that they end up going to college but I haven't gotten there yet. It's called Futaribeya because it means something along the lines "a room for two" and they met due to sharing a dorm in high school.

Yuzu the Pet Vet is a childrens manga, but it's cute, and pretty educational for any age, since they don't really teach you how to take care of pets in school. The art style gives me a really nostalgic feeling, of when I used to read shoujo manga for the library when I was younger, probably because it's drawn traditionally instead of digitally, including the covers.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 03, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »
I got the latest volumes of Daiya manga to be released (act 2 29 and 30) and a handful of Horimiya volumes.
Vol 30 has Mei on the front and is the start of the current game so pretty close to up to date. I won't buy any more volumes until I know what happens in this game now.
Spoiler
3 innings to go I think...they're either at the bottom of the sixth or top of the seventh.

I read the first volume of Horimiya today and the manga is filling in the gaps that bothered me in the anime, for example
Spoiler
Yuki seeing Miyamura leap the fence
and
Spoiler
building the friendships between Miyamura and Ishikawa as well as Miyamura's bond with Hori
. It's also nice to find out who the heck Yuuna-chan is as the anime mentions her but never shows her xD. I feel like there's more flow between discussions, like it makes more sense somehow?

I have the first 4 volumes, up to the point where
Spoiler
he cuts his hair, which is a major plot issue for me in the anime - I still think he looks better with the long hair also
but I might end up getting more depending on how the next volumes go. I feel like they made some rushed choices in the anime as there are some great scenes and a couple of whole chapters missing that would make the whole anime make a lot more sense.

Dug out the last volume of Saiyuuki Reload manga last week before the final ep of Zeroin aired so I could figure out where the break between eps was; and reminded myself of the ending.

I will get Yona 38 in May. I need to get back to reading that properly now I've done teaching. Kind of stuck in a weird limbo this week because of that xD.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:58:20 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal