collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New to Customizing  (Read 1717 times)

MrsDavis

• Trade Count: (0)
New to Customizing
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Hello, everybody!

I'm brand new to the customizing scene and am SOOOO excited to get started! I've been checking out the tutorials and helpful links around the arena, but if any of you have any helpful hints, I'd love to have a mentor of sorts. :)

I'm sure I'll be hanging around this board quite a bit, and I hope to get to know all of you awesome artists.  :wave:

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: New to Customizing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
Just keep having a look around, you will be surprised the helpful information you can find poking about. We have had quite a few WIP threads lately and advice threads. Some things I would note to a new artist are:

1. Use very small brushes
2. Water down your paint for full body repaints and symbol work for a nice flat texture with no brushstrokes
3. Have patience, things don't always work the way you want them to the first time, but you learn each time
4. Don't be afraid to ask questions or send a pm to a customizer if you want to ask them something specific, a lot of the vert customizers helped me get my foot in the door and I have been doing this less than a year now.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
I'm not a customizer (though I enjoy checking out the customs now and then!) I'd just like to chime in and say please, make sure you know who you are using for custom bait before you start prepping them! If you are unsure of a pony's identity and/or value and/or rarity, please ask! As a general rule, it's best to go especially easy when considering using G1 ponies because they are the most loved, oldest, and most difficult to find! =)
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
Welcome to the hobby :) look forward to seeing what you have to make.

MrsDavis

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
Thanks everyone!

And yes, I know how valuable some of these ponies are and will always make sure I have good bait. :)
Mostly, I want to customize g3's and blind bag ponies.

lilacamy931

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
ohh exciting times, you already been given great tips and found the valuable source of stickies- just have fun and cant wait to see what you come up with :) x

MrsDavis

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
I'm thinking of doing some blind bags or ponyville's in a collection of Rarity's designs from FiM. They're all so  :glitter: FABULOUS! :glitter:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
It's so addicting! Good luck and have fun!

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
Have fun and welcome. Remember you can always ask on this forum - can't wait to see your work :)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
Addicting is the word for it!  Even if you just do it for fun, not profit.  Welcome to our neck of ponyland!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
Welcome! :)

My best advice is to have fun, and don't get frustrated if things don't look perfect on your first try. Maybe what you do will be amazing right away, but I know I have to be patient with myself on things like eyes. Definitely dont be afraid to post questions- everyone here is so helpful and friendly.

Oh, and I always say avoid caffeine before trying to paint lines, because I had to learn that one the hard way! Shaky hands...   ^.^

Disregard the Prologue

MrsDavis

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
Thanks everypony!
You've all been so welcoming and helpful. I can't wait until all my supplies get in.  :frolic:
I'll have bald little ponies for a while, though. Well, at least until next payday, lol.

And yes, having fun is the important part. I can forget that sometimes as an artist. I'm a huge stickler for details and many a curse word has been said in the pursuit of getting it 'right'. Hopefully, I'll remember to fine my zen place, lol.

Oh, and BTW Embers, your ponies are lovely!

reyl

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
I am new to customizing too! Nice to see I'm not the only one. Feel free to say hi sometime :)

MrsDavis

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
I am new to customizing too! Nice to see I'm not the only one. Feel free to say hi sometime :)

A big, fat pony welcome to you, reyl! :welcome:

There's a few of us newbie customizers running around, so you're not alone. :) I can't wait to see everyone's first projects. I just got my first batch of baits ordered and I'm pumped! :frolic:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal