collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does regluing heads on G1s devalue them?  (Read 690 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Does regluing heads on G1s devalue them?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
As others have said its going to depend on the buyer - although there is a big difference between a head being glued back on into position and an actual neck plug being ripped/cut out. For me, yes it devalues, but I think you will find, as long as its disclosed, on most ponies and for most buyers its not an problem or something that will affect the price. :) 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
These are very good points. I sadly was trying to behead them to keep water from setting inside the body after a good washing. The neck ring was severed by accident and poor Tex had to have his head reglued. I am only trying to collect my original herd ponies, and I never had boys back then, so I was hoping he could find a new home. I guess I will just have to keep him, I don't want to try to sleep at night worrying about someone not being happy about him. Thank you all for being honest.

I think he can still find a good home! just have a disclosure that his head has been reglued. make sure that whomever buys him is aware of this and you shouldn't have a problem.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
I think it also depends on how people collect. Personally i prefer my ponies not to be touched and original. as long as you tell the buyer / trader that something was done to the pony before selling / trading it then that is ok.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
I'm sure he would sell for less with a detached neck-ring (is that the right way to describe the situation?), but as others say, as long as you tell/show the buyer exactly what they are getting, I'm betting you can find him a good home :)  The big brothers are so popular I'm sure someone will love him!  Personally, I would offer him without the head glued on, so the buyer can do that however they want.  I have a Sugarberry who was headless in this way, I glued her head on and now she is lovely :)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
There's been a lot of good advice.
I prefer to let 'em spin... It's no big deal and it's fun to have ponies looking directly at each other or in odd directions. However if you've ripped them to the point where the only way to re-attach the head is by gluing it on I would most certainly disclose that if you choose to sell. In my opinion (and I'm not a picky collector by any means) that reallllllly devalues a pony.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
I bought a parasol who only had part of her neck seam opened to replace like 3 blue hairs plug. Well the bottom of the feet the person went crazy with marking it as a re-hair (a restoration sight recommend you damage the ponies feet with 'H' to let people know it was rehaired) This poor parasol has them all the way around every foot. When I noticed the markings I attempted to pop her head off cause I figured it had already been done, but only one inch popped open for me to look inside. I am more upset with the markings on the feet then the fact they replaced 3 plugs and re-glued it closed. Once the head has been removed I think re-gluing it is like a waste. To me the only reason to re-glue a head is for the intended to lie to who ever may potentially buy it in the future. The head goes back on just fine with out glue and it lets others know when they buy it that it has possibly been re-haired.

I have bought other ponies that people claimed they couldn't get the head of and it was original hair, but sure enough one pop (no hot water needed) proved otherwise. So re-gluing hid nothing, original glue holds better then that, they are were meant to be played with by kids who are going to crazy things with them.

If you are using the pony for a custom and cut the neck plug off so the only way for it to stay is glue that is a different story. But I've even had person (I honestly can't remember who) re-glue a G3 and the head was detached in the mail before I got her.

Finding a good glue (affordable not industrial) is extremely hard. The only luck I've had keeping a head on with glue is a G4 head. They love super glue! Sadly so does their whole body :( and getting any of it off has been futile :(

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
I don't mind as long as it's done neatly. If the ring stays intact I'd rather them not be glued.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
Also; to prevent ripping heads off and cutting rings, I never ever use a knife whether exacto or not to get them off.  I instead use a spoon.  No, really, a spoon.  I use both ends to carefully pry the head and use pressure to pull the glue up rather than cut it.  I do have simple spoons, the ends are tapered to a slim, but blunt point.  I think I got them from World Market a decade ago, but they're excellent head popping spoons!  I have ripped a small hole in occasion in the ring, but I have never had a situation where it was required the head be glued because the entire ring had been cut off! 

No knives! If you have issues finding a starting spot, go soak that pony in scalding hot water and give her a few good tugs.  Have a stronger significant other help you out ( My girlfriend has stronger hands than me! ) and yank on it a few until the neck starts to get little holes in the seal of the glue.  That's where you can shove your blunt, but not sharp, instrument,(that's what she said!) in and work that gap larger and larger until you can get a good hold on it and start pulling it apart. 

This method also prevents the sawed off neck seam look.  When the pony is put back together, it looks just as it was.

Thank you for the good tips
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
Myself, I prefer my ponies with removable heads - makes keeping an eye on their condition and checking for any internal existing issues (mould, mildew, rust, loose washers, plasticizer leakage etc.) much easier.  There are some poses I find benefit greatly from being able to turn their heads, Baby Firefly/Surprise come to mind, and Tootsie/Cherries Jubliee.  Actually tearing or cutting the head off though would be grounds for landing in the custom bait box, not a flaw I want in my collection.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal