collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fizzy the "Alicorn" - Animation Error  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
Re: Fizzy the "Alicorn" - Animation Error
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »
You know I now feel obliged to customise a winged unicorn Fizzy.
DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!? *flails*
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
Wind Whistler was also briefly an alicorn in Crunch the Rockdog.

This was an artifact of the time and animation methods.  They would send the animation from Asia to North America for checking.  Because constant revisions were expensive and time consuming, they couldn't fix all the errors before calling it a finished product.  Remember the old Transformers cartoon and how they could never keep Starscream, Thundercracker, and Sky Warp straight?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
Oh dear... I gotta admit, I have mixed feelings towards animation errors, specifically when it comes to those cartoons based on Hasbro's toylines: to me they pretty much range from being amusing and silly to being increadibly jarring, to the point where you just wanna smack the animators on the back of their heads for how lazy slackers (this especially applies to all the animators at AKOM).

Still, this one looks pretty awesome, though it's a pity that they made her run with other earth ponies and unicorns instead of making her fly alongside Surprise. XD

Also, this makes me want to rewatch the original cartoon just to check what other animation errors I can find... :D :D

Well, some of those animators were probably paid very little. XP They might have been working a lot with little time (to fix things) and little pay. It seems Hasbro just got a bit cheap with these cartoons or wanted to see them produced very fast.
I have seen so many mistakes that should have been caught when the people at Hasbro reviewed them. Like a background that kept moving after the characters had stopped walking.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
I thought the quality was pretty good for the 80's. Especially considering the difference in how people animated then vs now.

So true...as others have said for the time and the techniques mistakes are not just common but pretty expected - these were hardly produced on Disney budgets.

But all that being said it doesn't stop it being worth the odd little giggle! I do love how Cupcake is running on air at one point.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
I love the 80s cartoons, it's really just funny spotting all the random stuff I didn't get to catch as a kid XD 

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »
This was common in the 80's because cartoons would be developed by a studio here in America and then they would send the information and scene layouts to a Korean animation studio (where they worked long hours and were paid pennies per hour, much cheaper than you would have to pay an American animator) for the actual animation to be drawn.

Not just in the 80s. That's still common practice for a lot of studios.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
I think the animation was typical for the time period, the way things were animated then, and the budget they probably had.

I cannot in all honesty say the animation was "good", though, aside from the two specials.  "Typical" is not the same as "good."

Now, Rescue at Midnight Castle, that was superb.  It's a rare and beautiful gem considering the quality of most 80s animation.  I had the privilege of talking to one of the story-boarders for RaMC (via e-mail) and he said they used the very latest animation techniques available at the time for scenes like Firefly's "flying through the camera" effect when she first takes Megan to Dream Castle and that they very purposefully made an abrupt change in tone from the cheerful, innocent introduction to the terrifying invasion of the dragons.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
That's very interesting.  It's too bad they couldn't have maintained that style and quality.  A show towards the bottom the priority list needing to churn out enough episodes to air five a day can only do so much.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
oMG, if it were ever made into a cell I'd pay my left leg for it!!!

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
Why don't people like the term alicorn?
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
There were so many strange animation errors in the original MLP cartoon! I think that's part of it's charm, even if I wasn't all that crazy about it myself. Fizzy was by far my favorite pony from that show. She's just got a cute personality.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »

Because the term technically means the substance that a unicorn's horn is made from, I think. I don't know how it went from that to meaning a pegasus/unicorn cross, but oh well. XD

I love seeing the animation errors from the 80's cartoon, although I'd probably never manage to spot them on my own.

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 06:19:30 AM »

Because the term technically means the substance that a unicorn's horn is made from, I think. I don't know how it went from that to meaning a pegasus/unicorn cross, but oh well. XD

Lol. ala - is latin for wing. Corn is latin for horn. - that's where alicorn came from. As for making the term popular in that usage you can blame Piers Anthony. :D
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
I want a Princess Fizzy-lestia!

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Moonracer

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
Oh dear... I gotta admit, I have mixed feelings towards animation errors, specifically when it comes to those cartoons based on Hasbro's toylines: to me they pretty much range from being amusing and silly to being increadibly jarring, to the point where you just wanna smack the animators on the back of their heads for how lazy slackers (this especially applies to all the animators at AKOM).

Still, this one looks pretty awesome, though it's a pity that they made her run with other earth ponies and unicorns instead of making her fly alongside Surprise. XD

Also, this makes me want to rewatch the original cartoon just to check what other animation errors I can find... :D :D

Well, some of those animators were probably paid very little. XP They might have been working a lot with little time (to fix things) and little pay. It seems Hasbro just got a bit cheap with these cartoons or wanted to see them produced very fast.
I have seen so many mistakes that should have been caught when the people at Hasbro reviewed them. Like a background that kept moving after the characters had stopped walking.

Well, this may be true to some extent... after all Hasbro's intent was to have those cartoons made super cheap and super fast so the episode would come exactly at the same time the new wave of toys hit the shelves.

But then again, some of the studios, even when paid greater amount of money, still managed to produce incredibly low-quality, shoddy work filled with multiple animation errors. AKOM in particular is guilty of this. Among the animation experts and fans alike they've been known for notoriously providing crappy animation work.

I read somewhere that Warner Brothers broke their contract with AKOM, during the production of "Batman: The Animated Series", because most of the episodes produced by them had really bad, inconsistent animation work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal