collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High thread number 2.2!  (Read 139483 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High thread number 2.2!
« Reply #975 on: March 15, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
Personally I would never commission a reroot unless it was done using the needle and thread method. I love to brush my girls' hair and play with it before photoshoots, and I just cant risk plugs falling out. Glue on the inside of the head only does do much sometimes....

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #976 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Oh, I love the new webisode! I like Toralei's character from the diaries but never from the webisodes... this makes me like the animated version a little better.

And the kitten version of her... so cute!

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #977 on: March 15, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
To those of you who root hair into CAM heads...
Do you use the needle and thread method or a rehairing tool?  Needle and thread seems kind of dangerous and tedious, and that's how I'm used to rehairing ponies, so I just thought I'd ask. 
Also, where can you get good rehairing tools?  Seems like everywhere I look they are out of stock...

I use the knot method.

you also have to be extremely wary of the different heads. Dragon girl was super pliable and softly rubbery, werewolf girl was a little harder and broke more easily if plugs were too close together, bee girl was very hard around her crown, sea monster girl was more like dragon girl with a bit of hardness around her crown.

I found my method works for all these heads.

also, dollyhair.com usually always has reroot tools in stock (that i've seen anyway) but since i don't use the tool, i rarely look at that particular page so i could be wrong.

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Oh, I love the new webisode! I like Toralei's character from the diaries but never from the webisodes... this makes me like the animated version a little better.

And the kitten version of her... so cute!

:O Do you have a link^^?

toralei

« Reply #979 on: March 15, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 15, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

I use the knot method.
also, dollyhair.com usually always has reroot tools in stock (that i've seen anyway) but since i don't use the tool, i rarely look at that particular page so i could be wrong.
What is the knot method? Sorry, I'm kind of a customizing noob. x_x

And you’re right, dollyhair does have rerooting tools…hmmm…Not sure if I want one or not.  The hair isn’t secure in CAM heads if you use the rerooting tool?

I would! I despair of finding any dolls in the stores anymore, my Wal-mart was totally wiped out yet again. It seems this is the only way to actually get anything new anymore. :| I agree with you, Tropical_Sunset, I can't understand how Mattel is just letting the shelves sit empty for so long. Have they said anything official about production problems??
I have been wondering about this myself.  Has Mattel come out and said anything about why there are no dolls to be had?

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
The knot method if I remember right is where you knot one end of your strand to keep it set in the head. So when you pull the hair through the hole, the knot keeps it inside. When I used to reroot, I knotted one end and hot glued that lil knot just a little so it didn't unravel. Some hair is so soft and silky it will just undo itself. Once I was done putting in all of the plugs I ran my hot glue in the head for a once over. Sometimes fabric glue is better since if your glue gun touches the head it can kinda melt it. So be careful what method you use. The dollyhair tool actually is a great tool. I got one long ago and used it. Made rerooting a heck of alot easier! I heard there are other methods, but that one was much less annoying and less time consuming.

Offline Ravie

• View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #982 on: March 15, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
I use the knot method.

And you’re right, dollyhair does have rerooting tools…hmmm…Not sure if I want one or not.  The hair isn’t secure in CAM heads if you use the rerooting tool?

you use single strands, tie a knot at the end and thread it through the head with a super long needle. It takes more time than using the reroot tool, but probably less time than any way using thread. It takes me about 3-4 days to do a cam head. It's very secure.

from what i understand, the majority of people using the reroot tool use glue on the inside of the head when they're done, but it still just never seemed very secure to me. I'd worry about plugs popping out as i was working and such. I'm not exactly delicate on the hair while i'm doing it and frequently use ponytail holders to keep it out of my way if i need to. But I'm not an expert on that method, so maybe someone else can explain things about it better.

AllIsLove

« Reply #983 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
I use the knot method.

If you push the needle in all the way, releasing the hair before you pull the needle out, and then glue the hair thoroughly inside the skull once you've completed your reroot (always use a little more glue than you think you might need) and you leave it to dry completely before washing or brushing it, the tool method works just great. I bought a rerooting tool from someone on the customs board (sorry, it was ages ago and I can't recall her name) and it works fabulously, especially since I can adjust the needle length if I want to root a little deeper.

I'm going to add to what Ravie said about the dolls having different types of heads. I found the sea monster was the most squishy for me (she suffered a catastrophic split along the line I was making for her part. It became so bad I pulled all the hair out, and apoxy sculpted a buzz cut hairdo for her). Next in softness was the werewolf, but I found keeping plenty of space between the plugs prevented a split (she does have thinner hair than my other gals because of this, but a bit of styling and product can do wonders with thin hair). The bee head would be quite squishy if it weren't for the ROCK HARD middle section (avoid poking needles into this area - I nearly broke one on it). But if you root a close circle around the rim of the middle section it does give nice body to the hair. The dragon was the most sturdy of my bunch, and took close plugs very well. I've just started the 3-eyed gal, and she's great around the forehead and crown, but I'm having to be very careful around her ears, and down towards her neck because the plastic is much softer there.

In any case, good luck, and looking forward to seeing pics of your lovely ladies! :D 

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »

Offline Ravie

• View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #985 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
hehe, see that's were my method comes in handy. My needle is really sturdy so poking the holes with the business end of the needle allowed me to root her exactly the way I wanted too.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and she'll be going on evil bay soon unless someone here wants her (no clothes, no torso)
Though sad fact is, now that she has hair I actually kinda like her...but I so don't feel like hunting down spare parts for her x.X
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:26:31 PM by Ravie »

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
Oh wow, Ravie, she is gorgeous!! Your rehairs look SO good!

Thanks for all the tips, tricks and advice, everyone! :heart:   I feel much better prepared for what lies ahead now!

I made this to figure out what hair colors and hair styles I wanted on my CAMs.  Feel free to use it!
http://www.jadephoenix.org/raydark/images/MonsterHigh/MHPhotos/CAMHEADLINEUP.jpg
I just doodled hair onto the heads using photoshop.  It really helped me visualize what I wanted for each one.

Offline Ravie

• View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #987 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
oh wow, TS. That's awesome. I thought about doing something like that but I never got around to it (and my sister has my tablet for school right now :\) I'm definately going to save it ^^

Offline Alatariel

• Cookie Queen
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 15, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
I have been wondering about this myself.  Has Mattel come out and said anything about why there are no dolls to be had?

Not as far as I know, but then I'm not on the LJ or any other MH boards, so I don't know if there are rumors out there. Crimson, do you know if your Target has a hard time getting the dolls? I've been reading the complaints on the thread about doll fads, and it's amazing to me that it hasn't been addressed by mattel. Are stores only getting in one case every two weeks or something? I just don't get it at all. It seems that some Walmarts never got any Cupids, and there won't be any more coming in later? Whole displays go up, just to sit empty a week later, and then gradually the shelves are filled with other toys. Aren't store managers upset about this? I'm so excited about Rochelle and Venus, but I'm absolutely DREADING the thought of tracking them down.

Thanks to Sirithfin and cannibalcow for my avvie and siggy!

AllIsLove

« Reply #989 on: March 15, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
So my sister is travelling around New York and she stopped into one of the TRUs to scout for MH for me (yeah, she rocks :D), and one of the staff told her to come back next week because they're expecting a massive shipment of a 'new MH line'. I thought the new lines were only coming out in May and June? Or do certain areas tend to get in earlier than others? More importantly - what the heck are they getting in?!?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal