collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Trivial Complaints Thread ... #3  (Read 54070 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Trivial Complaints Thread ... #3
« Reply #1755 on: April 26, 2024, 07:49:51 AM »
I've been doing these little sheep doodles on another site that has ponies. I was doing them for free, but a friend poked me and said I should open a shop (it would be for game currency) so I asked for a price check. A couple of people have been very rude in my thread. Saying that anyone can draw a blob or glowing line and get lots of the game currency for it. That people like me who aren't artists make REAL artists feel bad. Blah blah blah.

People who make comments like that are a combination of jealous and insecure.  I create Pokemon coloring pages--I started years ago, back when there were NO official Pokemon coloring books.  I have a friend who was really interested in what I was working on because she also wanted to color Pokemon.  We were discussing it in front of her brother who informed me in a sneering tone that it wasn't that hard and he could do that.  So my response was, "Yeah, but will you?"  I think it shocked him that I had the audacity to snap back at him.  (He's very spoiled, to the point where their mother would blame my friend if he didn't eat because, even now, as an adult, he doesn't know how to make himself a peanut butter sandwich.)  He doesn't like me and that's fine.  I think he's a {word I shouldn't use on this site}.  I've made 600+ Pokemon coloring pages so far and plan to complete the entire set.  The kids at the library where I work love them. 

I am currently working on pieces to sell at a big event a few towns over.  I don't do custom pieces.  I create what I want and if people buy them, great.  But does that make me NOT an artist?  Because I do something that someone else claims they can do or I don't take commissions?  I don't think so.  I'm an artist whether someone else likes it or not.  There are lots of famous art pieces that I think are hideous and wouldn't have paid money for but they're in museums so obviously someone out there thought they had value. 

And it's been my experience that the people who are supposed to have my pieces don't always show up at the first place I show them.  Sometimes it takes a few times before a piece sells.  I don't take it personally.  I would rather my pieces go to someone who truly enjoys them rather than selling them just to sell them.  If you're only an artist to make money, it will show.  But when you love what you do, the people who also love what you do will find you. 

Which reminds me...I really need to remember to start taking pictures of what I create and adding them to my DA page.  I haven't added anything but coloring pages since I started making resin pieces.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1756 on: April 26, 2024, 07:55:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm one of those "locked away from society" but it's not really by choice. I don't drive, never have. There is no public transport here. There is a bus of sorts, but you need to call 48 hours ahead and it costs money. I live day to day because my pain and mental function vary day to day. I don't know how I'll feel in 48 hours, so why book a trip?

I'm actually thankful for COVID and the lockdown in a way. I use Zoom to see my psyche and therapist and it's SO much better than having to go to the office and everything that happens between that and coming home. Honestly, if I had to be physically seen? I would probably cancel a lot of my appointments. And that doesn't help me.

I'm all for technology. I think we need to rely on it to reach a Utopia, where robots do all the work and humans can enjoy life. And there have been major advancements even in recent years. But like Taffeta said, society as a whole isn't set up for all inclusiveness. It's all old infrastructure and most cities don't want to put the work in the make things better. Oh, they'll install spikes on benches but ramps and handrails is too hard or costs too much money.

Pokey - I agree. Jealous and insecure, for sure. I also get the "I could do that too" from people about my miniatures sometimes.

I don't really do custom pieces either. I've taken commissions but I always regret it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:01:10 AM by BlackCurtains »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1757 on: April 26, 2024, 09:13:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm one of those "locked away from society" but it's not really by choice. I don't drive, never have. There is no public transport here. There is a bus of sorts, but you need to call 48 hours ahead and it costs money. I live day to day because my pain and mental function vary day to day. I don't know how I'll feel in 48 hours, so why book a trip?

When they cut down the buses here, the Council's argument was that kind of dial and book service, and we gave them the exact same reply you just said. How do you know how you are going to be in 2 days? It was particularly for an elderly complex that the issues were arising. They were amazing, though. They went to war with the Council and they won and the Council rerouted the bus back past their estate. There's one woman who is on it literally every day. It's a matter of a 5 minute detour that transformed her quality of life.

It sucks that your buses are so bad :(

Also, on the sheep. I meant to mention this before, but it's so much easier for people to insult someone else's stuff than it is to contribute anything positive to society. Ignore them. You're being creative and the sheep are cute :)

@LBS - my navigational thing is I think officially developmental topographical disorientation, which means parts of my brain don't link up stuff properly. Unfortunately getting an official diagnosis and scan is not possible on the NHS at the moment (I think Canada is the only place that actually does it, in case you're interested, LOL) but it means that I can be somewhere familiar and my brain will reset where I am, and I will completely lose my bearings. Forget left and right, I can't always remember how to get from work to the bus station. I have to remember which stores are near it and hope I see the sign to them/the logo.

This is why it's a bad idea for me to have a car. I am all for self-driving cars when they are safe, but I think that's a long way off. Human driven cars are maybe the bigger problem, since a lot of people drive badly here.
Tech could probably make my life a lot easier, if the tech I needed existed. :)

Being able to drive would transform my life completely. But I spent six years trying to learn. And I could do the mechanics of it, so long as there was someone there to navigate. And in my tests I made bad decisions because I navigated worse under stress and misread traffic signals. I never did anything dangerous but I realised that I would probably end up killing someone and I would never be able to drive independently because of my navigation and the ease with which I lost orientation on roundabouts and such.

So yeah. I am as independent with public transport and such as I can be. I am the only person who goes to London for a walking holiday because there are lots of buses, and the bus stops are quite distinctive. I can follow bus routes to walk and the buses are frequent enough that I can watch where they go to help me find the way. And if I get lost I can always grab a bus and get back to safety. I can't do any of that at home :/ But I can't afford to live in London, so this is how it is.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 26, 2024, 10:02:17 AM »
Worried about my husb. He’s been having a lot of negative self talk lately, and at my request, he brought it up to his therapist, and his therapist basically said that it makes sense. He listens to him but doesn’t give him the TOOLS to deal with it. So I asked him to bring it up again, and ask if he has any tools to help him, and nothing really came of it.

I’m worried about it. I’ve told him to challenge those negative thoughts in the past, but I don’t think he has ever understood HOW to do that. So now I’m over here giving advice that I’m not a professional in. I told him to imagine that someone he loves is saying those negative things about themselves, and asked him what he would say to reassure them. He isn’t in the right head space to see beyond the negative fog right now, but I’m hoping it’ll at least plant a seed. :whew: Because obviously, years of me telling him I don’t think those negative things about him does nothing. He needs to change his internal narration. Easier said than done.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #1759 on: April 26, 2024, 10:08:06 AM »
i love your sketches BC :) the sheep are so cute. i also liked the sheep figurines you posted a while back.

the people with the money to buy politicians want to criminalize being poor. so cities install spikes do keep unhoused people from being able to rest. removing benches to punish unhoused people also punishes everyone else who uses those spaces. but what do they care. more important for billionaires to not have to see the "poors" in San Francisco. the incentives aren't in place to make the world better for those of us who can't afford to buy politicians. as long as people with the most money make the rules we'll never get mass transit or real protections for disabled people. or any of us really. if it doesn't build "shareholder value" it won't happen under the current status quo. it can be done. we just need the will as a society to make it happen. i do believe a better world is possible. it's why i complain so much :D

i think tech can be made to help people. but not under the current tech leadership. most of that is scams lately. maybe tech designed for and by disabled people would be a better solution?

@shockponie i hope your husband can get some help :hug:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:33:32 AM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: Yesterday at 07:42:45 AM »
Ableist language and actions really bother me because it really puts self-created limits on what people think they can do.  It's like the Down Syndrome awareness PSA :  "if you think I can't ______,, then you don't treat me like I can ______, and then I don't ______." 

I know quite a few people who could probably be quite self-sufficient, contribute to the workforce, and be more independent, but it doesn't fit their family and support providers' narratives and definitions, so they think they can't work  or shouldn't work.  To the best of your ability, I say!  If you need supports, then by all means, use them, but don't opt out of doing things "because you can't (because you believed someone telling you that)".

Technology advances all the time - if there are now mechanized suits (like in anime), you can walk and lift and exercise!  Japan has several cafes that have robots that are operated by paraplegic people at home, using special headsets that connect directly to their brains .  if you need a service animal to help detect if you're going to have a medical episode, that's totally fine.  if you need a communication device/speech board/etc. , that's no different than the millions of other humans who can't get their face out of their phone LOL  It's no reason to opt out of society, hide yourself away, and be lonely.
I was asked once if I could help elderly housebound people to access the internet as I'm quite computer savvy. I talked about the things these people could do, including sell hand-made items online for a little extra cash. The carers who interviewed me were NOT having that, despite pensions being something you can supplement with a small extra income, & I was shut down because I didn't "understand". What I didn't understand was the carers' need to keep their clients fully dependent without adding any contributions. Like, so they can't use their legs & feet, but the can still use their hands!!!
The whole attitude of "these folks can't do anything" is just maddening. Like what if they want to or need to for their sanity???
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: Yesterday at 05:07:52 PM »
I've been doing these little sheep doodles on another site that has ponies. I was doing them for free, but a friend poked me and said I should open a shop (it would be for game currency) so I asked for a price check. A couple of people have been very rude in my thread. Saying that anyone can draw a blob or glowing line and get lots of the game currency for it. That people like me who aren't artists make REAL artists feel bad. Blah blah blah.

I wrote a reply back, but decided to delete it and just say to the one person maybe they aren't as good of an artist as they think.

I AM an artist. I just work mainly in 3D. Drawing digitally isn't something I'm great at but I think my little doodles are cute and people seem to like them.

Everyone else in the thread has been very supportive and gave me a good range of what to charge if I open a shop. I'm just feeling bummed people had to come in and say things like that. I mean, if you wouldn't pay that price, fine. Say that. Don't dis my me and doodles.

A sample of said doodles for those curious:

Spoiler

Your sheep are really cute! :heart: They made me smile. :) Keep making your art and forget about those stupid commenters! :hug:

(I still haven't published my own drawings anywhere but here on the forum, because I don't have enough courage to do so. I have received wonderful and nice comments here, thank you for them. :heart: )
:zzz:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1762 on: Yesterday at 05:10:08 PM »
Thank you!

Speaking of, I finished the free ones I was doing and opened a shop :accomplished:

My complaint right now is I'm hot. It's cooler outside than it is in my apartment.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal