collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cheap BJDs?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap BJDs?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
However, it's almost inevitable that if you get into them, you will eventually be completely dragged over into the world of the more pricey BJDs at some point. Pullips are the gateway dolly drug.

This statement is so true. I had Pullip and sold them all to fund my BJD girl.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
If you want to start small with a BJD-ish doll, I would highly suggest you get a Liv doll. They're a playline doll that was discontinued this year, and they're very similar to BJDs in a lot of ways. They have amazing posing abilities (they pose far better than Pullips and are not strung like BJDs), incredibly easy to change wigs, and fairly easy to change eyes (you can even put BJD eyes in them with a little, very easy, work). They have Barbie-sized bodies so finding clothes for them is incredibly simple. You can even repaint their faces if you're into that aspect of BJDs.

You should be able to get a doll, wig, and clothes for under $40. If you look around you should even be able to find a MIB doll, but I haven't kept up with their prices on like Amazon lately.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Many people only consider a doll to be a BJD if it's resin.  I would consider any ball-jointed doll to be a BJD, regardless of material.  But it depends on who you ask and how strict they are with terminology.  Pullips and Dals are great, but their joints are different, which is why I put them in a different category.

Oh thanks! Clearly I don't even have my terms correct. I think I must have assumed that everyone's doll was Ball Jointed...oops  :lol:

LOL Pullips and the like (I love Dals best) are awesome. I'm a huge fan. They aren't BJDs but they are great dolls to get you introduced to some of the BJD type things. They have wigs, can have their eyes changed, they pose, you can practice face ups on them. I wouldn't write them off just because their joints are different. They are amazing dolls in their own right. However, it's almost inevitable that if you get into them, you will eventually be completely dragged over into the world of the more pricey BJDs at some point. Pullips are the gateway dolly drug.

Bahaha, this.  I loved my Pullips, but sold them to pay for a grail BJD.  I really do have more fun with the BJDs, even if they're pricey.  I was going to get a cheap doll, but ended up with more expensive ones.  I decided that I'd rather save for one doll that I LOVE than to have a handful that I'm not as fond of.  My cheapest was my first, a Dalsoo I found second-hand on eBay for only $75.  My most expensive that is home was my Beyla (the grail dolly), who I paid $450 for and that was a KILLER deal because she also had an amazing faceup from a top artist, 3 wigs, an outfit, her human legs, and several pairs of eyes.  I got very lucky.  I have another $400+ doll who is paid for, but not home yet.  I have expensive taste.  :P

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
If you want a Liv doll (a playline hinge joint doll) like Taxel mentioned, I have a few around here you can have for shipping. I don't like them really. I kept them because I thought they might grow on me but those blank stares still creep me out. I've been meaning to get rid of them for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

And Zen, I'm saving now to sink around $500 into one so I'm there with you. I know he'll be so worth it though! I wouldn't give up my beloved Pullips and friends though. I still love them too much!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
There are so many more pullips I want too!  But I had to put that dream aside to pay for my first incoming bjd.  They are so expensive.    I've not found any I thought were cheap but it does sound like people have gotten some good deals, just not in the price range you were hoping for.  :(

I agree Liv dolls are fun to play around with.  Monster High is too.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline crazykimochi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Destination: Beautiful
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
I, too, started out with Pullips! I loved the release years 2004 and 2005!! I had quite a few grails from there that I managed to obtain. The BJDs got their grip on me and I sold my entire Pullip lot, Paja (original), Fanatica (original), and Rovam were the last to leave since I loved them the most. I miss them from time to time, but they're more loved where they are now. The person who I sold Rovam to said I could always repurchase her if I ever felt the need to, I thought that was nice of her. x)

So now I'm sitting at 14 BJDs (one is just a head, for now). I always thought I'd stop at 10... x_x;;

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »
There are all sorts of fun dolls out there at different price levels, I guess it really comes down to what you want. Playline dolls like Liv are not the same as Pullips, Pullips are not the same as ABS ball jointed dolls, ABS dolls are not the same as resin BJDs.

I think Radiance has the best advice:

Best thing to do, IMO, is to look around at different dolls you might be interested in, search for owner pics on flickr, and decide which one you just fall in love with. Then save up for it. Better to save up to get the doll you really love than spend a chunk of cash on one you might not really like, just to see.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »
I was actually the opposite of everyone else!  I saved up $800 for my first doll, got a few more in that price range, then fell in love with ResinSoul Mei!

At the price point she is in, she has a lovely face shape.  Her body can be very poseable if you hot glue suede it.

Don't be fooled by the face ups on ResinSoul's site, either. They are not very good!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
Don't be fooled by the face ups on ResinSoul's site, either. They are not very good!

Yup, definitely look at owner pictures! It's amazing how different a doll can look depending on the faceup.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
Most company pics are either just plain bad, or are edited too much. The best way to get a good idea of how any doll looks is to find owner pics. Resinsoul dolls do have lovely, delicate faces but their company pics are terrible, and the standard faceups from the company are very bland.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 04:26:16 AM »
Oh thanks! Clearly I don't even have my terms correct. I think I must have assumed that everyone's doll was Ball Jointed...oops  :lol:

LOL Pullips and the like (I love Dals best) are awesome. I'm a huge fan. They aren't BJDs but they are great dolls to get you introduced to some of the BJD type things. They have wigs, can have their eyes changed, they pose, you can practice face ups on them. I wouldn't write them off just because their joints are different. They are amazing dolls in their own right. However, it's almost inevitable that if you get into them, you will eventually be completely dragged over into the world of the more pricey BJDs at some point. Pullips are the gateway dolly drug.

Bahaha, this.  I loved my Pullips, but sold them to pay for a grail BJD.  I really do have more fun with the BJDs, even if they're pricey.  I was going to get a cheap doll, but ended up with more expensive ones.  I decided that I'd rather save for one doll that I LOVE than to have a handful that I'm not as fond of.  My cheapest was my first, a Dalsoo I found second-hand on eBay for only $75.  My most expensive that is home was my Beyla (the grail dolly), who I paid $450 for and that was a KILLER deal because she also had an amazing faceup from a top artist, 3 wigs, an outfit, her human legs, and several pairs of eyes.  I got very lucky.  I have another $400+ doll who is paid for, but not home yet.  I have expensive taste.  :P

Hmm, I guess my Pullips was the gateway. But there is no way I'm selling my Pullips to get BJD's instead. I'll rather save up for a while ^^. I might sell one of my unloved Pullips though.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal