Pony Talk > The Dollhouse

Barbie's let talk about the old days 60's 70's 80's 90's

<< < (3/3)

Lady Frostbite:
I was never a doll person growing up very much (the irony when I got into Monster High!), but I do remember having Christie, Barbie's friend, a couple of times. I remember when the mermaid Barbie line was huuuuge but I was always disappointed with mermaid dolls in that the tails would be fabric and the legs hidden inside. That's not a real mermaid, dangit!

I think the inflexibility of the legs put me off. I was fascinated by the smallness of the shoes and clothing, though!

katrine2309:

--- Quote from: toyjunky on July 09, 2022, 10:32:48 AM ---
Dana and Diva were from Barbie and the Rockers. I always wanted one of those Barbie's but never had her. I did have other Barbie and the Rockers merchandise like story books and coloring books though. For a birthday present my husband bought me the reproduction Barbie and the Rockers doll that was part of the My Favorite Barbie line that Mattel made for the 50th Anniversary of Barbie.

My mom only had one Barbie type doll from when she was a child, so we never played with it, it was in a doll case. Compared to the 80's and 90's faces I can totally see why you would have pretended the older ones were evil/mean. They do have a particular look about them, almost a snooty or haughty look compared to the 80's dolls.

--- End quote ---

Oh! Cool! Thank you- Barbie and the rockers! Didn’t know that! I still have them, tucked away in a box in the attic. Poor girls. I’ve always been more worried about my ponies. And especially Diva ended up with such a mess of hair. I briefly wanted to try to sort it out when I first got into ponies, but it is such a MESS. I never dared to try. Are there any good tutorials on how to do this with Barbie hair? Detangle curly hair? 

My mom also just had one, but we were allowed to play with her. I was a pretty careful kid. I cried bloody murder if any of my toys got even a scratch :lol: But then again, since she was evil she wasn’t really a big part of the storyline. She came in, delivered her evil lines and left the mayhem that followed.

I love the look of the old Barbies now that I’m old(er). But I can see why child me didn’t. They do have a snooty look to them - I agree. But they are really fashionable and the look is so in style with the 50/60’s era. I would love to have a small collection of those older dolls with their outfits, but they are so insanely expensive!

Post Merge: July 10, 2022, 01:41:51 AM

--- Quote from: Lady Frostbite on July 09, 2022, 03:05:51 PM ---I was never a doll person growing up very much (the irony when I got into Monster High!), but I do remember having Christie, Barbie's friend, a couple of times. I remember when the mermaid Barbie line was huuuuge but I was always disappointed with mermaid dolls in that the tails would be fabric and the legs hidden inside. That's not a real mermaid, dangit!

I think the inflexibility of the legs put me off. I was fascinated by the smallness of the shoes and clothing, though!

--- End quote ---

I wasn’t really a doll person either, loved my stuffed animals the most, ponies, keypers , dinosaurs and playmo horses (and of course the Victorian area playmo sets :heart: ). But for some reason, Barbies I liked. For a period of time (after my older sister got sick of ponies) we played with Barbies quite a lot. Of course, the animals were important- and I had some favorites of the dolls and didn’t bother that much with those that weren’t favorites.

Did you know that Barbie has released a new line with Mermaids? With actual mermaid tails? My nieces have them and play with them a lot. They are actually really cool! And of course I really like the body positivity with different body shapes which also these mermaids have. And they are colorful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version