collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How often do you read books?

Never! *pokes at books with a stick*
15 (3%)
Not since I got out of school! Whew!
8 (1.6%)
I used to, but not anymore.
25 (5%)
Rarely. Once in awhile, but not very often.
61 (12.3%)
Sometimes, if the mood hits me.
124 (24.9%)
Very often, I'm an avid reader.
264 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 358

Author Topic: How about a book poll?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Re: How about a book poll?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
Any chance I get!  I'm one of those freaky book readers who can walk around with her nose in a book.  Love my peripheral vision. :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »
I try to read a book at least once a week.  As a kud, I was an avid reader (and writer.). And as a adult, When I get involved in a good book, I read much more frequently.  It just depends.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
I love reading but I'm very picky about what I read. As a result, I'm lucky if I finish a couple of books in a year. When I get into a book, I usually finish it in a couple of days.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
I read before bed every day.  I love reading, but with a toddler, that's about the only chance I get =)

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
I can't stand not having at least one book on the go. Definitely an avid reader, I finish about one book a week. It's an uncomfortable feeling for me to be in between books, I'll reread my old ones until I find an new one that catches my interest.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
lol, i'm glad kindle was included - i submitted my vote before i saw that. i have been a big reader ever since i could read. nothing better than an 1000+ page book to sink your eyes into :) then i get upset when its finished. i get so absorbed in these make believe lives :lol: i love mostly family saga books set in early 1800's to 1900's. catherine cookson is one of my all time faves. bryce courtenay is/was fantastic. i read the twilight series in a week - yes, all 4 :lol: 50 shades didn't do much for me so took a bit longer. diana gabaldon is another fave, i'm so looking forward to the next book in the cross stitch series. normally i only get the free or really cheap books on my kindle, but my sis bought me an amazon gift card for xmas, so am looking forward to getting some good stuff. i too used to prefer paper books, but after pretty much reading all my library had in my genre, i had no choice but to go the kindle. and i never looked back - it's also good cause my kids don't wreck library books anymore!!!! i am also a smoker :blush: so most of my reading gets done then. one time i was reading something sooo good, i went out the back for a smoke (in winter, and i only have my cold concrete step to sit on), 2 hours later i came back inside!!!!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
I go thru stages, of reading every day for a few months, then something else takes over, may play DS or something, or computer in that time, then may see a book everyone raves about, an im back in to the reading again.

Post Merge: January 10, 2013, 08:12:59 PM

Oh also, I read childrens books daily to my kids before bed.
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else here is an oddball like me and does NOT like the idea of a kindle/ereader?

I'm actually really sad that it is putting bookstores out of business. I am sure that in the future paper books will be a thing of the past. I prefer the feeling of a paper book over an electronic one. I like the smell of the paper and the pretty covers. And flipping through the pages. You don't have to worry about the battery dying or using up all the memory. Or the data corrupting.

Also, I miss browsing through Borders for hours looking around and finding new books to buy. It's easier for me to get an idea of what I want to buy when looking in the store rather than looking online.

I can understand why it's better for the environment, of course. And it takes up less space. With the amoun of books I have, space seriously becomes an issue. I can't bring myself to part with book that I really enjoyed. And then I enjoy loaning them out to my brother. He always finds something he wants to borrow from me. You can't loan an ebook out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:19:25 PM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
I am definitely a binge-reader!

Since getting my new laptop, I've spent less time with a book, though... of course, I have a nook app for the PC, with my mom's ebook library at my fingertips whenever the computer is on...

I sometimes do a little less reading when I'm writing-- or rather, I read less fiction because I'm reading more research! But I love reading non-fiction, too, so research is still fun for me. Informative articles, essays, books ABOUT books!

Any time someone takes me to a library, I come out with as many books as I can carry, ha ha... And I've trolled the bookshelves at the goodwills for paperbacks in good condition. I love books-- as much as I appreciate how easy an ereader makes having a whole bunch of books without having to carry them all, I do love the feel of having a book in my hands, and the smell of ink and paper, and getting to use my neat bookmarks...

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »
It's a kind of joke in my family that ever since I learned how to read, I never stopped. I have a long commute to work every day, but I don't mind because it gives me time to read. I usually have one book that I read on my commute and during my lunch hour and another book that I read at home. On an average working day, I read about 100 - 150 pages. I also love audio books, especially when they're read by people who know what they're doing.

Just wondering if anyone else here is an oddball like me and does NOT like the idea of a kindle/ereader?

*put up her hand* Me, me! I like the feeling of having a book in my hands far too much to want to give it up. Also, I have to admit I'm curious as to what other people are reading. I like looking around in the tube and checking the titles of other people's books. When they're all reading on Kindles etc, I can't do that. ;)

Melissa

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
I used to read voraciously as a kid. Not as much now... which is sad since I work in a library. I probably average 5-10 books a month.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
I used to read multiple books at a time, every day. Since my accident + head injury last year, it just hasn't been so easy to pick up a book and focus on it and get into it.  Still love to read, but can't do as much of it now.

(As for the eReaders question, my mom has one. I think they're handy, but I don't like the feel of it... It just doesn't sit right in my hands, and since I can't keep my hands still the pages will turn all over the place when I try to read. Plus I like being able to flip back to any bookmark I've stashed in there to whatever important or funny stuff happened earlier in the book... Paper books for me, thanks.)

Everythings Peachy

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
I rarely read books, but thats because I dont have the time or consantration. -_-

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »

I'm actually really sad that it is putting bookstores out of business. I am sure that in the future paper books will be a thing of the past. I prefer the feeling of a paper book over an electronic one. I like the smell of the paper and the pretty covers. And flipping through the pages. You don't have to worry about the battery dying or using up all the memory. Or the data corrupting.

Also, I miss browsing through Borders for hours looking around and finding new books to buy. It's easier for me to get an idea of what I want to buy when looking in the store rather than looking online.

I can understand why it's better for the environment, of course. And it takes up less space. With the amoun of books I have, space seriously becomes an issue. I can't bring myself to part with book that I really enjoyed. And then I enjoy loaning them out to my brother. He always finds something he wants to borrow from me. You can't loan an ebook out.

i was at first very anti kindle, but my local library is not well stocked, nor do they invest in new books - all their money goes towards computers. add to that i can never find any books i like in shops, and usually can't afford the $25+ price tag. also add that i live in a small house with NO storage, grrr!!! so i decided to give kindle a go. at first it was wrong. just wrong. i will never get used to this. i hate it. give me a real book pleeeease!!! but i got used to it, and now i love it.

oh, and you can loan e books out, well i know you can with amazon, not sure bout others, and some libraries even have facilities to "borrow" e books :) (but not here in australia unfortunately :(

Ayalah

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:27 PM »

*put up her hand* Me, me! I like the feeling of having a book in my hands far too much to want to give it up. Also, I have to admit I'm curious as to what other people are reading. I like looking around in the tube and checking the titles of other people's books. When they're all reading on Kindles etc, I can't do that. ;)

I hate those too! I see new titles come out sometimes with that dreaded line "kindle only" or "ebook only" etc. So Annoying! There's nothing like the smell and feel of a new book! *hugs books*

I used to read so much! I finished several books a week. Now I have migraine condition that realy screws with my eyes. I haven't been able to sit and read fr quite some time :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal