collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do people really give negative feedback for backing out of a sale?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
I was just wondering this... I've had a couple people and also some friends that I just chat with who have randomly brought up from time to time that they had to back out of a sale, or something happened, and they were concerned that the seller they were talking to about purchasing an item would leave them negative feedback here on the Arena...

Is this an offence that can be punishable via negative feedback? I know it's annoying as a seller for many many reasons to have people back out of sales, but, I usually just "get annoyed" and then, move on, ya know - what can I do?

But I guess I was just wondering, is this seriously something that you could leave someone negative feedback for? Seems a bit extreme...
(And yes in my scenario, the only thing that happened was someone backing out of a sale, let's say no rudeness, no... other issues or whatever)
Thanks!
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
Re: Do people really give negative feedback for backing out of a sale?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
Well, to me feedback should just be based on a completed transaction or trade. Therefore, if someone backs out of a sale, I would not leave feedback of any kind. Obviously, if the person really wasted your time and was difficult, you could choose to ignore them and not allow them to purchase/might purchase from you again. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Technically they shouldn't, because it hasn't become a transaction yet... but I'm sure if someone was annoyed enough they might - I dare say you could get it removed by the mods, though.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »
It's annoying but since no money changed hands I'd just chalk it up to the annoyances of being a seller. I also think feedback is for a transaction that has already been initiated/paid for.

Duster reference]

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
I think it's super annoying.  If you and another person agree on a sale-  whether you are the buyer or seller- and then you back out- you are breaking an agreement.  As a seller I find it very annoying- especially if I've been asked to "hold" something until they could pay for it.  I guess I wouldn't post negative feedback about it- but I think it is really really unprofessional/rude- and honestly it would be nice to know whether a trader is someone who consistently backs out of their agreements, wouldn't it? 

I DID just leave negative feedback (for the first time) on ebay when the seller backed out.  I had won a huge lot for a great deal- paid for it-  a week later the seller tells me he's sorry he can't send my items- but the owner of the items wouldn't part with the stuff at that price- and he was going to post a reserve but hadn't- so I could either pay $150 more or he'd send a refund.   What ?

I explained that that was not how ebay worked- that he needed to send me my items that I had paid for - and that asking me for extra money was against the ebay user agreement.  He again tried to make up some sorry excuses.

I reported his ass to ebay and filed a claim and also posted negative feedback explaining what had happened.  I agreed to remove the negative if he sends the items I bought.  He's apparently "considering" whether to do so.  What a jerk. 

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
We call these folks tire kickers in the model horse hobby. Time wasters. We don't leave feedback per say but we DO let others know with a type of 'heads up' post on them. Some of these folks are repeat offenders and many in the hobby really don't want to bother with them.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
For me, I think it would depend on what exactly happened.

Situation 1: Buyer PM's me, inquiring about a pony I have for sale, asking for shipping costs, etc. I give them the shipping quote, they say they'll buy the pony, I send my Paypal info, and then I never hear from them again.

I would never leave bad feedback for something like that. I would be annoyed, sure, but at the same time, I do understand that things come up and I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

Situation 2: Buyer PM's me, asking me if I'd be willing to hold a pony until they get paid next month. I agree; no problem. In the meantime, I get a few PMs from other people interested in the same pony; I tell them sorry but she's on hold. Then, when it rolls around to when the first person said they'd be able to pay, I get a message from them saying "Sorry, can't buy the pony after all".

In that situation, I might opt to submit a bad feedback to let other potential sellers know what happened.

Sure, like with Situation 1, things happen; I understand that. But if I had to turn away other buyers only to find out the first person wasn't going to buy after all... To me, that's basically the equivelent of a non-paying bidder on eBay.

**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
In my belief, there are very many variables to consider on negative feedback. I think a common problem is, very many people have a hard time communicating out there issues whether one person feels strongly about one thing and the other is totally oblivious to the matter. Either way, when there is tension, its best to break the ice and ask how the other person is feeling and work a kind of consensus, how to work together as oppose to working alone or against. Sometimes, it takes another person to observe what you are doing in the outside and fill you in on it. Leaving bad feedback does not solve anything because the problem will always present itself no matter how many times you run from it.

Give it time, let the other person gather their thoughts. If they wont comply, then you will have to look at the situation in different angles, decide what is the most productive approach. I believe that people deserve chances but if they can't prove they are in the wee bit dedicated, then there chances have to come at a halt at some point. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:08:58 PM by Cron Sacchariferous »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
For me, I think it would depend on what exactly happened.

Situation 1: Buyer PM's me, inquiring about a pony I have for sale, asking for shipping costs, etc. I give them the shipping quote, they say they'll buy the pony, I send my Paypal info, and then I never hear from them again.

I would never leave bad feedback for something like that. I would be annoyed, sure, but at the same time, I do understand that things come up and I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

Situation 2: Buyer PM's me, asking me if I'd be willing to hold a pony until they get paid next month. I agree; no problem. In the meantime, I get a few PMs from other people interested in the same pony; I tell them sorry but she's on hold. Then, when it rolls around to when the first person said they'd be able to pay, I get a message from them saying "Sorry, can't buy the pony after all".

In that situation, I might opt to submit a bad feedback to let other potential sellers know what happened.

Sure, like with Situation 1, things happen; I understand that. But if I had to turn away other buyers only to find out the first person wasn't going to buy after all... To me, that's basically the equivelent of a non-paying bidder on eBay.

I've had both of these happen to me recently... I just never really thought negative feedback was necessary in either case because I really... wasn't pushing the sales. The first scenario happens to me ALL THE TIME. I guess people who buy more than sell don't really realize it takes a minute and some effort to get an accurate shipping quote for people, especially on multiple items... and when they back out after you have this nice thing packed for them... yes I'm annoyed. The other has been on hold for months and I've gotten a string of "omgosh now we have THIS huge money issue and THIS huge money issue and THIS happened and THAT happened" and believe me, I know - when it rains it pours, so I don't get nasty with those people... I guess I should keep a mental list of the people who do that and just avoid getting into it with them.
Personally I hate getting the feeling of "getting my hopes up for a sale" and then having it *poof* vanish, even though I've done things like cut discounts, reduce shipping, etc etc etc. But I would never leave feedback for THAT reason of course! That's just my personal feelings, lol
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
I don't know if there are any specific rules regarding it, but to me it's depending on the situation. If someone back out fairly quickly after we had agree on a sale, I would be dissapointed but not regard it as an "offence".  But if I put things on hold or if time drags on before they let me know, I would consider to leave negative feedback. I could have had other interested buyers and missing opportunities to sell because of waiting on a time waister.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »
I haven't left neg feedback but there are some people I wont sell too because I know they are time wasters, I have told them I wont sell to them thou so they know how I feel. These are repeat offenders one offs don't bother me stuff comes up in real life so I understand about backing out sometimes

I think leaving a netural would be fair only so we can see who repeat offenders are cause I bet the same bunch off people are the ones doing it

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
I think it depends a lot on the situation.  I had a seller who sent me a message immediately after I bought something on ebay and they apologized and had to confirm if the quantity they had listed was correct. She had sold out and apologized and cancelled the transaction. Her I had no problem with as she was quick and polite about it.  I think if a buyer tells you, is polite about it, and doesn't drag on forever you are ok.

In another situation I bought the pony and the seller cancelled the transaction, and refunded my money, but sent a rude quick message saying she couldn't find the pony she had listed. I had missed out on another auction because I thought I had won the pony and she was so rude. When I left neutral feedback, she sent me an incredibly rude e-mail back. If people act like that, like a buyer who drags on the hold or is rude, I think they deserve negative feedback.

I think attitude is 100% how I judge leaving feedback.  I also think you should perhaps put a limit for how long you hold something, excuses or not.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
I was just thinking that feedback was only for transactions in which money was exchanged for an item or service.  If someone backed out and didn't pay then no money is exchanged and a transaction hasn't taken place.  Feedback is for transactions right?

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »
For "backing out of a sale"?  As in, I agreed to pay a seller $100 for ponies and then I decide I don't want to spend the $100?  Oh yeah that's getting you put on the Trader List. 

Asking, "Hey I see you have Applejack and Swirly Whirly - can I have them for $25 with shipping? I think I can pay you next week." Well...  you shouldn't be asking unless you have the money but if the seller puts it on hold, and you tell them a week later, "Oh sorry my dog needs surgery, can't get them after all...." Yeah, also not good.

Just asking, "What's Medley to 44882 with Priority shipping?"  "It will be $30"  "Thanks for letting me know my budget - I will keep saving and maybe will be able to buy from you next month!"  :D  It's annoying for sellers who don't have postage scales but it's not a frowned-upon activity per se...  Sellers DO have to expect a certain level of engagement and communication from their potential buyers.  :)

But seriously.... don't assure an individual that they will be financially benefitting from you when you aren't going to follow through, or don't have an emergency plan in place to pay them should circumstances arise.  Many, many sellers use their earnings to pay their rent, mortgages, medical bills, children's needs, food, etc. 

Advice to avoid this situation as a buyer:

Rule #1:  Don't even BROWSE unless you have the money already in your account.  Don't PM and ask, don't bid, don't shop!
Rule #2:  If you have agreed to a payment method, especially if a shipping quote was provided - you just bought it.  Pay them within 24 hours.
Rule #3:  Holds should be only under certain terms: "24 hours" or "within 3 payments".  Get it in writing - it's a legally binding contract!

Time-wasting sellers are a little less common.

Does that make sense?  I hope it does.  You can always discuss this with me... I LOVE healthy constructive debate!  :D

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »
As an aside,  Sunshinepony, so sad that you have had to deal with that.  :(   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal