collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about Sundance and different versions  (Read 859 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Question about Sundance and different versions
« on: August 04, 2023, 11:20:37 PM »
Hi!
I’m a part of a local FB group for pony collectors in my country (Norway/Scandinavia) and one of the people in this group found a Sundance with symbol only on her display side? Her eyes looks regular blue and her foot is stamped pat.pend. No HK stamp, I think. Anyone know anything about this? Or is it just a factory flaw?

I thought I remembered something about Sundance having some strange releases?
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Sundance and different versions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 04:32:26 AM »
Never heard of the version with 1 symbol only. Maybe a picture of the non display side can help to see if it's a flaw or not.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 07:46:17 AM »
I have one with no symbols. She has factory hair curl. I have no idea whether someone removed her symbol or something else happened, but there's no sign of smearing or anything like that. She's a NC pony.

I picked her up at a carboot sale.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »
I've never heard of Hasbro purposely producing a Sundance with only one symbol.  My guess would be factory error.  (Or customized?)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 08:49:50 AM »
No, it would definitely be an error or something befell it.

This is mine:

Spoiler

The picture hasn't been edited, it's just from a really old digicam so it's pixellated. I can't find her at the moment to take a new picture xD.

The mane is a bit messy now but she still has her curls. Her tail is a bit rougher, admitted. Her head has not been removed.

I kept her as an anomaly.

I can't find the link/discussion at the moment as the search is down, but I'm sure we've had a proper conversation about princess pearl/Sundance hybrids at some point in the past. That being the case, it's not impossible that there may be symbol issues on end of line bits of Sundance that somehow ended up in the wild. But a factory error is just as likely. And I may be misremembering this, it's been a while since that particular ponycon.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 02:49:41 PM »
I can never remember, where were the NC G1s made? The symbol-less Sundance definitely reminds me of the Princess/Happy Tail hybrids.

Obviously it's hard to tell for sure without photos of the single-symbol'd one, but I'd lean towards factory error for both. I don't think any G1s intentionally had just one symbol.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 03:23:25 AM »
I can never remember, where were the NC G1s made?

There are two schools of thought really, iirc. One that they were all made in Spain, and two that some of them were and some of them weren't. I tend to think the latter - possibly China - for ponies like Sundance. That would fit well with the princess and other hybrids also, as all the bits of those that are stamped with a manufacture mark say china.

That includes ponies like the summer/windy wing weird hybrids as well. Every one of those I've seen has had a China made body, although I don't think I have ever found a regular summer wing in the wild in the UK made in China.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline aria_elwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 10:02:13 AM »
I can't add anything go the Sundance discussion unfortunately  but, I can say I have a Hong Kong made Skydancer found in the wild at a toy and train fair in the 90s.

[Edit: Just noticed you said Summer wing not windy wing, sorry!!!]

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 12:51:51 PM »
I can't add anything go the Sundance discussion unfortunately  but, I can say I have a Hong Kong made Skydancer found in the wild at a toy and train fair in the 90s.

[Edit: Just noticed you said Summer wing not windy wing, sorry!!!]

*gives cookies*
I may have phrased it obtusely anyway. What I meant was that all of the summer wing ponies (like Skydancer) that I've found in the UK (all of mine are second hand) have been made in Hong Kong, but my weird hybrid Buzzer - who iirc has Whirly's wings and Flurry's tail and so on) is made in China.

I know Chinese summer wings do exist, but they seem pretty unusual here outside of the hybrids.

Windy Wings are another matter entirely xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 02:42:33 PM »
No, it would definitely be an error or something befell it.

This is mine:

Spoiler

The picture hasn't been edited, it's just from a really old digicam so it's pixellated. I can't find her at the moment to take a new picture xD.

The mane is a bit messy now but she still has her curls. Her tail is a bit rougher, admitted. Her head has not been removed.

I kept her as an anomaly.

I can't find the link/discussion at the moment as the search is down, but I'm sure we've had a proper conversation about princess pearl/Sundance hybrids at some point in the past. That being the case, it's not impossible that there may be symbol issues on end of line bits of Sundance that somehow ended up in the wild. But a factory error is just as likely. And I may be misremembering this, it's been a while since that particular ponycon.

That would fit with Princess Sundance :) I cannot access the search function and even my attempt to bypass the search function to get to the thread failed >_<

You can see her here in the nirvana gallery along with a little bit of information on her.

https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery/ukprincesses?pgid=kcjhfnv6-db0a6ef1-456f-4df7-b507-29b29c92acfc

What colour is your no symbol Sundance's hair? It doesn't look like the "regular" colour for her.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 03:22:36 AM »
Ah, I did go looking for her in the gallery but failed to find her xD Thanks for that PKW :)

I had a dig around in my cupboard and I did find her, but she was covered in some kind of surface mould when I did  :shocked: so she's just had a quick bath. Most of it came off, thankfully, but it has left some faint spots on her display side. She's drying at present.

I compared her to the two loose Sundances I had knocking around and she has the same colour hair as one of them (but curly, where the other has lost its curl) and darker than the other. None of my loose sundances are in very good condition, though - these two are both a bit yellower in body tone than the one without the symbol.

I have tried to take some photos but my phone is charging at the moment. If they come up useful I'll try and post them, but I'm still reeling from the mould crisis.

Fortunately it seems to just be her. I've checked all the others around her in the cupboard and they're fine. It just accelerates my desire to reorganise how my ponies are stored, honestly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
It's a good job you went to look for her and found the mould! What a horrible discovery >_<

There are different shades of that sort of pink; Cotton Candy pink, lilac pink (the German Princess have this colour and I think some versions of Sundance) and Sundance pink. There is curly and straight hair too, so the texture can vary, one seems to go smooth when the curls drop and the other is rougher.

My brain is now going wild with this, as I am sure you can imagine.

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
Yeah, the only reason I have the two that I do (I mean the regular NC ones) is that they have such different hair colours I wonder if one may be from 1986 and one from 1987. I can't be 100% though and right now I have not a single clue where my HK Sundance is. I also am wondering what the heck might be in Megan and Sundance's box since I seem to have my loose ones in the cupboard...I could've sworn I put M&S in that box...(headdesk).

I'm not very organised at the moment as you can probably tell xD.

The shelf with the Sundances on is overcrowded as well, so that's an additional problem. Some duplicates and such are just thrown in there rather than properly shelved. Kind of a miracle no mould was on the other Sundances really.

The pics aren't great (sunlight, sob) but here they are anyway.

Spoiler

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
Thank you for all the replies, everyone! :heart:

I should say that the pony in question is a NC Sundance, but I do believe it is a factory error. Would love to post pictures of course, but it is not my pony so I wouldn’t feel right doing that.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 03:04:33 PM »
NC Sundance is an oddity in herself in my mind, too many little things don't quite sit right and so many little variations.

Katrine, I really wouldn't be surprised if the NC Sundance was a factory error of some kind. There certainly seems to have been less quality control with the NC ponies in general.

Yeah, the only reason I have the two that I do (I mean the regular NC ones) is that they have such different hair colours I wonder if one may be from 1986 and one from 1987. I can't be 100% though and right now I have not a single clue where my HK Sundance is. I also am wondering what the heck might be in Megan and Sundance's box since I seem to have my loose ones in the cupboard...I could've sworn I put M&S in that box...(headdesk).

I'm not very organised at the moment as you can probably tell xD.

The shelf with the Sundances on is overcrowded as well, so that's an additional problem. Some duplicates and such are just thrown in there rather than properly shelved. Kind of a miracle no mould was on the other Sundances really.

The pics aren't great (sunlight, sob) but here they are anyway.

Spoiler

I'm glad the rest of you ponies were ok and mould free.

Her hair is so nice! I see you have a lilac-pink hair Sundance (the one in the Jamboree outfit) this should be a close match to the lilac-pink princess hair seen on the German issue Princess ponies.

You beat me to it, 1986 again, I did wonder if this is something to do with 1986 (1986 was the year chaos reigned at Hasbro). My other thought is perhaps it could be related to the staggered release of ponies throughout Europe (I know Germany was a whole year behind release wise)

I'm going to direct sniffingplasticponies to this thread as she collects Sundances and has a LOT of them.

Love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal