collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Little Mermaid live-action  (Read 3306 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
The Little Mermaid live-action
« on: May 08, 2023, 10:27:00 AM »
I have to start a thread on this!

I was cautiously optimistic about it at first, but these last couple of weeks we've hit with wave after wave of little teasers that really sold it IMO.

Flounder looks a little dead in the eyes and Sebastian looks a little too delicious, but overall I am very excited for this. Halle's voice and the multilayered fluttering tail fins are so enchanting. Jonah Hauer-King makes for a more believable Prince Eric than the singer they were initially chasing (can't remember his name right now)

If anyone one has info on the changes they made to the ending, please don't share it, or hide it well please.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: The Little Mermaid live-action
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »
It looks amazing. I don't mind the realistic changes to the animals and in fact I like what they've done with Scuttle quite a bit. My one little thing so far is that when they released what her sisters look like, they're all so stunning! It makes Ariel look a little boring :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 04:08:42 PM »
I was originally not going to watch it.  As a big Disney animation fan, I have not enjoyed many of the live-action remakes.  Too many changes.
However, after watching the trailers, I’m excited about this one.  I love the scenes showing Ariel in the carriage/market…  I think this actress will make a good Ariel.

Butttt….
I don’t like Scuttle being turned into a gannet.  Also, I love LOVE Awkwafina, but I don’t think I want her as Scuttle. 
Flounder is a little plain, and Sebastian scares me a bit.
I love Melissa McCarthy, but I think I would have cast somebody meaner looking. 
I hear they are changing the lyrics of “Kiss the Girl” .  I don’t want a debate, but I see it as an innocent song about falling in love. Just my opinion.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 02:52:58 AM »
I've been excited about this movie since they first talked about her and after watching all the trailers, omg! So gonna watch it at the theatres, maybe not on the premiere though, too many young girls with mobile phones, so I'll wait for a bit. But I can't wait too long or they'll remove the one with the original language and a dubbed live action movie is not something I like. Sorry for the rambling, lol. It looks so good though! :heart:

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 03:20:49 AM »
Some European countries will see the release on the 24th, 2 days before the USA release. Careful around that time, spoilers and phone recordings may pop up.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
The first reactions are overall very positive! I hope it does super well despite the you-know-what backlash it got (and still gets, apparently). Sadly enough, some people on youtube seem to be going out of their way to cherry pick all the negative responses to support their claim (or hope) that it will bomb. Or maybe it's just for the sake of clicks and views.

EDIT (tiny spoiler about a song):
Spoiler
Les Poissons got cut. I can see why; even though it was a fun scene, it didn't really propel the story forward, and with an extended runtime something had to go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 11:55:12 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »
I have been wanting to see this movie. I think it will be fun!  I really like her singing voice.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 12:23:13 PM »
I'm on the fence about it.  Ariel is my favorite Disney princess and I love the animated movie.  I have a large collection of Ariel/Little Mermaid items. 

I've enjoyed some of the live action remakes Disney has done before including Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.  I'm trying to keep an open mind going in, but I don't want Disney to ruin the story for me.   I want to see if they include some details from the original fairy tale like they did with Beauty and Beast.

I am a little disappointed that all of Ariel's sisters have new names.  I don't think that was necessary and I don't know how Daughters of Triton (if it's in the movie) will work with the new names when the old ones were just fine.

I've also never seen a problem with the lyrics to "Poor Unfortunate Souls or Kiss the Girl."  I'm pretty sure I know where the "problem"" section of Poor Unfortunate Souls is, (I haven't seen clips of it or the Kiss the Girl scene) but we all know Ursula was lying about the things that men on land liked about girls to try to convince Ariel that she wouldn't need her voice on land when Ursula knew full well, it was Ariel's voice that Eric remembered.

All that being said, I still want to see the movie. Not sure yet if I'll try to see it in the theater or wait until it's on Disney +

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:25:36 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 12:33:44 PM »
I don't get why they renamed the sisters, either! I know they're far from the first Disney characters to get renamed (I've lost track of how many names the feather duster from Beauty and the Beast has  :lol:) but it just seems like change for the sake of it. I dunno, maybe they decided they were different enough from the original characters to warrant new names too.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 12:48:27 PM »
I don't think that was necessary and I don't know how Daughters of Triton (if it's in the movie) will work with the new names when the old ones were just fine.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
That song has been cut

I'm curious to see how their mother fits into the story
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:52:11 PM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 04:03:48 PM »
I don't think that was necessary and I don't know how Daughters of Triton (if it's in the movie) will work with the new names when the old ones were just fine.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
That song has been cut

I'm curious to see how their mother fits into the story

Spoiler
I'm not surprised.  I really didn't see how it would work without the original names.

Different tiny spoiler related to the sisters.

Spoiler

I think I read that Ariel is not the youngest anymore? 

I forgot to say in my last post that I hope the Broadway show is incorporated in some way, whether it's in the score or a song.  I'm really hoping "Her Voice" is included. It was written for the animated movie but was cut at some point during production. When the Broadway show was created, they used "Her Voice" as one of the songs.

Here's a Youtube clip of it. This version is from The Little Mermaid Live performance, but it's the same song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xyqsmEfcP4

Ponyfan

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »
Part Of That World gets a second reprise in the live action version. A second one! Couldn't restrain myself and listened to it when it showed up on my youtube recommendations. Listened to it 4 times by now.

That might be my new favorite moment in the movie! Sounds so heartbreaking! Can't wait for the 24th!

EDIT: 127 times by now  :cry:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 06:26:25 PM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 07:19:35 PM »
There's lots of clips being posted on Facebook lately.  I've watched some of them, but I don't want to watch all of them and then feel like I've already seen the whole movie. There's a Little Mermaid trailer playing with Are You There, God? It's me, Margaret.  I was really happy when I realized it was a Little Mermaid trailer. :D

Ponyfan

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 07:31:55 PM »
I listened to the new Kiss The Girl song for the lyrics change.

Here's what was changed (not even going to put this in spoilers, it's so small)

"it don't take a word go on and kiss the girl"

is replaced by

"use your words boy and ask her"

No reason for this to make headlines.

As for Poor Unfortunate Souls; I can't pinpoint an obvious change in lyrics.

Spoiler
What happened is that they cut a couple of lines; the ones about "men don't like a lot of blabber, they think a girl who gossips is a bore", and Ariel refuses to sign the contract, but is persuaded to do so by Ursula mentioning her father and the life that awaits her, rather than conjuring up an image of Prince Eric to get her to sign
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:46:36 PM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 07:52:50 PM »
I will be skipping this remake and sticking to the animated classic. Honestly wish they'd just stop with all these remakes. x.x

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal