collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are you getting your family for Christmas?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
What are you getting your family for Christmas?
« on: November 17, 2022, 02:41:28 PM »
Inspired by Rainlove's thread about Christmas presents, what have you got for other people? I make a salve with our beeswax every year, so most people get that and some honey from us, with something else like a book or some chocolate that they like. My neice is the only one in our family under 40 at the moment and although my BIL collects Lego and Star Wars I can't afford anything at his level nowadays! I bought him a comedy basketball sized tennis ball which he will probably hate because he takes his tennis very seriously  :lol:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: What are you getting your family for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 05:06:15 PM »
I so far have gotten my mom some for her craft stuff for her scrap booking. And a very nice glass car for her noodles.
My dad I got him a bigfoot blanket and a big foot shirt. I will also be getting them some food items and a gift card to Fry N Pan restaurant! They love to eat there!

My 18 year old daughter not sure what to get her yet? She just moved out.

My husband's grandkids are getting some fun toys. Keeping it simple though.

We are keeping it simple this year. I am not big into spending money on a lot of stuff that will just be forgotten!   

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 05:17:38 PM »
This Christmas I will buy or make a lot less presents than last Christmas. I have agreed with a few relatives that we will not give each other Christmas presents this year.

I have been thinking of buying perfume and a large cat calendar for my mother. The calendar has been on my mother's gift wish list for several years, and this year she will get it as well. It has become a tradition. :lol:

I'm going to give my father something necessary as a present. The kind that doesn't get dusty or just stays in the closet for years. :wonder:

I am also going to give my brother something necessary. :wonder: I'm going to make him at least cotton pads dipped in melted candle mass, which he can use to light the fireplace easily. I'm going to put the stearin cotton pads in a plastic box, which can then be used again to store some other item when they run out.

I have already bought beautiful earrings for my friend. Maybe I'll add some chocolate to the same gift package. I will probably give her child some clothes.

My husband doesn't buy gifts for anyone, but maybe I'll get him a book or some aftershave and shower soap.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:23:30 PM by Heart Of Midnight »
:zzz:

Offline starscout

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 05:22:28 PM »
My stepmom's kitty of nearly 14 years just passed away, so I plan on making her a little sculpture of him as her Christmas gift this year. For the rest of my family, I'm still not 100% sure.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art commissions non-MLP sales post

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
I'm going to make him at least cotton pads dipped in melted candle mass, which he can use to light the fireplace easily. I'm going to put the stearin cotton pads in a plastic box, which can then be used again to store some other item when they run out.

I have already bought beautiful earrings for my friend. Maybe I'll add some chocolate to the same gift package. I will probably give her child some clothes.

My husband doesn't buy gifts for anyone, but maybe I'll get him a book or some aftershave and shower soap.

That is a genius idea! I'm wondering whether I can do the same with beeswax. We have way more of it than we can use, candles aren't easy to make. Maybe it's heavier and less flammable than stearin, but I suppose I could just try it. I might try stamping them with something like a snowflake when they are nearly set.

I bet you have gorgeous baby clothes in Finland! As for husbands, mine's not great at buying stuff either. But he is the beekeeper, not me and he also makes good cards I discovered. The nice thing about buying him shower soap is choosing the scent, I do that too.

Post Merge: November 17, 2022, 10:49:20 PM

My stepmom's kitty of nearly 14 years just passed away, so I plan on making her a little sculpture of him as her Christmas gift this year. For the rest of my family, I'm still not 100% sure.

Awh... It's great that you know how to sculpt cats though! That sounds difficult!

Post Merge: November 17, 2022, 10:51:42 PM

We are keeping it simple this year. I am not big into spending money on a lot of stuff that will just be forgotten!

I totally agree. So I guess knowing that things will be forgotten, we don't spend a lot of money but try to make or find things that people will enjoy at the time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:51:42 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 07:46:42 AM »
I honestly don't know. I haven't thought about it much. I guess it depends on how my parents are doing and where they are when Christmas comes around. Then it's just my niece. She didn't get me anything for my birthday though... so... I don't know. She likes snow globes and wolves so she's easy to shop for.

Everyone else is gone :(

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
I honestly don't know. I haven't thought about it much. I guess it depends on how my parents are doing and where they are when Christmas comes around. Then it's just my niece. She didn't get me anything for my birthday though... so... I don't know. She likes snow globes and wolves so she's easy to shop for.

Everyone else is gone :(

Awh. Yes I suppose it is quite early to be thinking about Christmas in a way. My aunts kept buying me stuff until I was in my 40s, it was nice but I didn't deserve it!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 03:56:42 PM »
absolutely nothing.  the price of peacefully  not having to deal with them is unmeasurable !
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 08:15:07 AM »
My parents are of an age when they need nothing I can buy them, which means I'm stuck with either food or socks. About the only other people getting a gift this year are those (2, neither are family) who regularly give me one. One will be harder to gift though... I'm working on the other!!!

Squirmy I'm minimal contact myself, so I get you xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »
I'm not really sure yet, they're not really very clear about what they want. Jewellery is something to consider for my mother and maybe something for my sister's hair.

I may honestly ask what sort of thing they'd like.

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 04:30:01 PM »
I'm going to make him at least cotton pads dipped in melted candle mass, which he can use to light the fireplace easily. I'm going to put the stearin cotton pads in a plastic box, which can then be used again to store some other item when they run out.

That is a genius idea! I'm wondering whether I can do the same with beeswax. We have way more of it than we can use, candles aren't easy to make. Maybe it's heavier and less flammable than stearin, but I suppose I could just try it. I might try stamping them with something like a snowflake when they are nearly set.

I bet you have gorgeous baby clothes in Finland! As for husbands, mine's not great at buying stuff either. But he is the beekeeper, not me and he also makes good cards I discovered. The nice thing about buying him shower soap is choosing the scent, I do that too.

In previous years, I have made roses out of cardboard egg cells that I have dipped in melted stearin. While they were still moist, I decorated them with glitter. They lit the firewood quickly! Making them takes time, so this time I thought I'd make it a little easier or at least finish them faster by replacing the cardboard cells with cotton pads. :)

Adding the snowflake stamp to them is a great idea! Would it be possible with stearin? Or does it crumble easier than beeswax.. :wonder:

I found pictures on the computer with these stearin roses. (From the year 2015.) The ponies also participated in making them then!  :lol: (In the last picture it says Peaceful and Happy Christmas in Finnish!)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
:zzz:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »
From what I've been hearing directly from them,a lot of gift cards and clothes.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 01:23:01 AM »
I’m getting my sister a bunch of face masks, bath bombs, and other spa type stuff. I always feel bad getting her the same thing every year, but she also asks for the same stuff every year and I don’t really know what else she wants haha! Sometimes I buy her whatever currency is used in Fortnite too since she plays that.

I’ll be getting my dad tickets to Devour which is a food festival here where you can go around and sample food and drinks from some of the best restaurants in the state. It’s always a really fun event and this will be their first year back in person since the pandemic! I also got him a Bisbee AZ themed shirt since he is obsessed with that city lol! :P We were just there and we went in the store I bought the shirt from. I was SO nervous he would see it and want to buy it, but thankfully they didn’t seem to have it in stock!

My mom is the hardest to shop for, so her gifts are still undecided. I got her some bath and body works candles since she asked for more of those. She also collects Haunted Mansion stuff, but she has so much and is basically out of room. I bought some acrylic risers from Amazon and I’m thinking of maybe helping her reorganize it? There are also some cute haunted mansion miniature things at Hallmark I’m thinking of getting, but they are kind of pricey, so idk if that’s the best move.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 02:40:01 AM »
@HOM those are so beautiful! You have a real talent for making stuff. It does seem a shame to make something so pretty just to light the fire with them. I've never used stearin, but I imagine it's just a case of finding the right timing. You could set one aside as a spare and test it with your thumbnail to see when it's set but not too hard.

@LAW I guess that makes it easier, he he. I usually tell my folks what to buy me.

@Minty_Magic Devour sounds like really good fun are you going with him? I'm also getting my Mum an 'experience' because she likes reflexology. So I'm going to get her a session. Offering to help with something is a really good idea too.

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 06:18:40 AM »
I usually get my parents an amazon gift card. they're really hard to shop for because they'll never tell me what they want. unless there is something specific that i know they want but will not actually buy or there's some tech thing they could use i just give them a gift card. then they can get whatever they need. it's much easier and this way i know that they'll get something they actually want.

gift giving just isn't my thing. i'm not good at getting those thoughtful gifts that people love.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal