collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 93149 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2023, 12:14:45 AM »
my Sign of Affection 6 finally came! It took sooo long ;A;
I have been too busy lately to read and enjoy it, so I'm saving it for vacation in 2 weeks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »
I generally don't read manga, but for some reason I thought I ought to read the Nausicaa manga as they're at the library. I used to watch the movie all the time and wanted more to the story after being reminded of it by Shuna's Journey ,  which was AMAZING. Seriously, the whole thing is full color paintings basically and it's only been recently translated. I adore fairy tale retellings and explorations of folklore, so Shuna's Journey (which is also by Myazaki!) was so enjoyable. Anyway, I was (predictably) completely blown away by Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and I don't know why it took me so long to read it. It's right up there with Lord of the Rings on the greatest fantasy/stories of all time list for me.

When I saw Shuna's Journey, it reminded me of Nausicaa too.  :D  In fact I think I even said something in the store about the artwork looked like Nausicaa.

my Sign of Affection 6 finally came! It took sooo long ;A;
I have been too busy lately to read and enjoy it, so I'm saving it for vacation in 2 weeks.

I'm glad your book came in.  Waiting for new books can be hard sometimes.

Still can't order Daiya 34 :(

I hope you can order it soon.

Yona 39 comes out soon.  I haven't read Yona 38 yet, but I guess this way I'll have 2 volumes to read instead of 1. :D

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 09:51:10 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 29, 2023, 01:32:58 PM »
I preordered the Nendoroids for Therapy Game, and I'm so sad to see Vol.3 of Therapy Game: Restart isn't out until next year!!  :cry:

I still wonder what is happening to Drug and Drop, the sequel to Legal Drug by CLAMP. I have the original Tokyopop volumes, the Dark Horse Omnibus Edition and Vol.1 and 2 of the sequel, where is the rest??

The series has been on hiatus since 2013; CLAMP have kind of a habit of putting stuff on long hiatuses unfortunately :(

Woah! That's just painstaklingly long! :-O I think I've waited a couple of years on some... but never that long. :-/

:wail:

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #633 on: July 31, 2023, 04:21:09 AM »
Amazon finally let me order Daiya 34 but it is now telling me they don't know when it will ship. Oh well. At least the order is in. I bet they're prioritising Japanese orders, which would be logical, but the site said there was 9 in stock so I'm not sure what's going on. It may be that they're waiting for the shipment from the publisher. Who knows. Fingers crossed it comes soon. Meanwhile I also ordered the Yona volume - which I suspect may arrive first/separately.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 02, 2023, 03:28:34 PM »
I picked up Yona 39 yesterday along with Honey Lemon Soda 1 and 2.

Yona

Spoiler
I was glancing at the back of 39 and it said Hak has been in disguise in Kai (I think it's Kai)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 03, 2023, 04:38:04 AM »
So, both of my manga volumes (Yona 41 and Daiya A2 34) arrived this morning.

On the Yona front,
Spoiler
everyone seems to be still alive, I think...

On the Daiya front, I understand why this volume sold out so quick and has been so hard to get, as it has some extra material that wasn't included in the manga magazine run.

On Ugumori and Teitou - there's a side note saying that Terajima intends to write this as a 'gaiden' or outside story at a later date. I imagine it will probably get a volume of its own eventually...maybe.

It also came with a postcard congratulating readers for 'graduating Daiya no Ace manga' xD. The picture is from the final of the Summer Tournament with the two teams lined up after the game.

Spoilers under cut for the ending of Daiya.

Spoiler
The manga gives the results for round 1 and round 2 of Koushien, both of which Seidou won. Furuya pitched the first round, Kawakami and Eijun the second round.

There are then several blank pages, followed by a note from Terajima about what he originally intended when he set out to write Daiya 16 years ago.
Spoiler
He basically says that the game that inspired him was one which ran to fifteen innings and was ultimately settled as a draw - but that with the passage of time so much has changed in high school baseball that that kind of game would no longer be possible. He also mentions how the characters have grown beyond his original expectations and it would be hard to force them into that kind of a template given who they are now.

I think the implication is that he intended Seidou to reach a final and split the honours with Komadai, but with the changes that have happened over the last 16 years, that's no longer possible.

So I think we can read from that - and from the other details peppered into the epilogue, that Seidou at the very least made the top four, and probably the final. The fact that none of them seem particularly downcast in the epilogue makes me think that maybe they did win it after all. Who knows...

There is also a chapter, 308.5, which is a proper aftermath to the game, and which includes more detail of them in the second round of Koushien. This wasn't included in the magazine run I don't think.

Spoiler
While it's a small detail, in the bigger picture, I'm gratified to discover from this that Mochi has had multiple offers from good universities, and also that Ochiai and company tell him that if Seidou finish in the top four at Koushien, there's a good chance he'll get a scholarship to one of them.

Then there is a further small epilogue set in the autumn (Sept/early Oct).

Kanemaru is the new captain!

More specific detail under the next spoiler

Spoiler
The epilogue begins with Eijun and Furuya asking Miyuki how it felt to be selected for the Japanese under 18s team. It seems like Furuya and Eijun were also selected for the Tokyo Senbatsu competition as that is now in autumn. It's implied that Miyuki is expected to be pro selected but this hasn't happened yet.

Eijun asks Miyuki for a proper contest, batter vs pitcher, at full strength, and various of the other members (both retired third years and current team) get involved to field and so on for this contest.

It ends with Eijun at the mound and Miyuki - with a wooden bat - ready to hit. Eijun remembers his meeting with Miyuki and how it has changed his entire outlook. It ends with Eijun basically thinking that the pitch he's about to throw is his parting gift to Miyuki, and Miyuki's response is that he'll be waiting for him to follow (to the pro league).

Here endeth Daiya.

I did feel like the end was a bit abrupt in the manga, so he clearly also wrote something to just tie this off and make it make more sense.

But I feel more now that this probably is the end of Daiya.

And it is time they finished animating it -.-

Because I still want to see
Spoiler
the scene between Miyuki and Mei at the end of the match animated
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 02:33:34 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 15, 2023, 06:52:37 AM »
I picked up Komi  26 over the weekend.  Here's a couple of pics of my manga shelves.  I need to do some rearranging again, but the manga boxes are too heavy for me to lift right now.

So, both of my manga volumes (Yona 41 and Daiya A2 34) arrived this morning.

On the Yona front,
Spoiler
everyone seems to be still alive, I think...

On the Daiya front, I understand why this volume sold out so quick and has been so hard to get, as it has some extra material that wasn't included in the manga magazine run.

On Ugumori and Teitou - there's a side note saying that Terajima intends to write this as a 'gaiden' or outside story at a later date. I imagine it will probably get a volume of its own eventually...maybe.

It also came with a postcard congratulating readers for 'graduating Daiya no Ace manga' xD. The picture is from the final of the Summer Tournament with the two teams lined up after the game.

Spoilers under cut for the ending of Daiya.

Spoiler
The manga gives the results for round 1 and round 2 of Koushien, both of which Seidou won. Furuya pitched the first round, Kawakami and Eijun the second round.

There are then several blank pages, followed by a note from Terajima about what he originally intended when he set out to write Daiya 16 years ago.
Spoiler
He basically says that the game that inspired him was one which ran to fifteen innings and was ultimately settled as a draw - but that with the passage of time so much has changed in high school baseball that that kind of game would no longer be possible. He also mentions how the characters have grown beyond his original expectations and it would be hard to force them into that kind of a template given who they are now.

I think the implication is that he intended Seidou to reach a final and split the honours with Komadai, but with the changes that have happened over the last 16 years, that's no longer possible.

So I think we can read from that - and from the other details peppered into the epilogue, that Seidou at the very least made the top four, and probably the final. The fact that none of them seem particularly downcast in the epilogue makes me think that maybe they did win it after all. Who knows...

There is also a chapter, 308.5, which is a proper aftermath to the game, and which includes more detail of them in the second round of Koushien. This wasn't included in the magazine run I don't think.

Spoiler
While it's a small detail, in the bigger picture, I'm gratified to discover from this that Mochi has had multiple offers from good universities, and also that Ochiai and company tell him that if Seidou finish in the top four at Koushien, there's a good chance he'll get a scholarship to one of them.

Then there is a further small epilogue set in the autumn (Sept/early Oct).

Kanemaru is the new captain!

More specific detail under the next spoiler

Spoiler
The epilogue begins with Eijun and Furuya asking Miyuki how it felt to be selected for the Japanese under 18s team. It seems like Furuya and Eijun were also selected for the Tokyo Senbatsu competition as that is now in autumn. It's implied that Miyuki is expected to be pro selected but this hasn't happened yet.

Eijun asks Miyuki for a proper contest, batter vs pitcher, at full strength, and various of the other members (both retired third years and current team) get involved to field and so on for this contest.

It ends with Eijun at the mound and Miyuki - with a wooden bat - ready to hit. Eijun remembers his meeting with Miyuki and how it has changed his entire outlook. It ends with Eijun basically thinking that the pitch he's about to throw is his parting gift to Miyuki, and Miyuki's response is that he'll be waiting for him to follow (to the pro league).

Here endeth Daiya.

I did feel like the end was a bit abrupt in the manga, so he clearly also wrote something to just tie this off and make it make more sense.

But I feel more now that this probably is the end of Daiya.

And it is time they finished animating it -.-

Because I still want to see
Spoiler
the scene between Miyuki and Mei at the end of the match animated

Daiya

Spoiler

There's so much I want to say, but not sure if I'll be able to say it all in one post.

I would have liked to see Ugumori win the East Tournament.

I'm happy to hear that Mochi has had several offers to University. He's come a long way from the boy that got in trouble in middle school. 

What do you think about Kanemaru being the new captain.  As much as I wanted it be to Eijun when I stop and think about it Kanemaru is probably a better choice, considering how much he's been through trying to help Eijun and countless others through the years.  I think Kanemaru even helped some of the others study for exams when they were having trouble?

I've always felt that several of the main characters are good enough to join the pro league not just Miyuki and Furuya.   We've seen a lot of Eijun's growth from slapping the opposing team because they insulted his teammates, to the person he is now, but that doesn't mean that others haven't grown also.  I can see Haruichi, Mochi, Eijun and Furuya joining Miyuki and going pro eventually.  :D

I hope that Miyuki and Eijun end up on the same team in the pros.  I can't imagine them playing against each other all the time.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 15, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »
@Ponyfan - I might send you a PM so as to spare the whole forum all my thoughtbabblings about Daiya xD.

But I agree that
Spoiler
Kanemaru is quite logical. I had thought maybe Haruichi. They tend not to make pitchers Captain, Ugumori aside, so I didn't expect it to be Eijun.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 17, 2023, 04:22:54 PM »
@Ponyfan - I might send you a PM so as to spare the whole forum all my thoughtbabblings about Daiya xD.

But I agree that
Spoiler
Kanemaru is quite logical. I had thought maybe Haruichi. They tend not to make pitchers Captain, Ugumori aside, so I didn't expect it to be Eijun.

There's more I want to say too. :D

Spoiler
I didn't realize that pitchers aren't usually picked as captains.  It makes sense though.  Haruichi would have been a good choice too.

I picked up Love's in Sight 3 and The Way of the Househusband 10 today. 

I think I'm going to have to buy Horimiya 11 from Amazon, because every bookstore I've checked is out of stock.  I'm going to try not to buy new books for a while though.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 02, 2023, 10:21:16 AM »
Daiya 45 will be released in the US digitally this month.  If I've got it figured out right, vol 47 should come out in January 24. 

Miraculous Ladybug has a manga too.  I've got the first volume. I haven't been able to look at it close enough yet to see if it's basically just episodes from the TV show turned in to manga or if there's some original ideas in there. 

I'm happy to hear that Yona will continue in vol 42. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 16, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »
I picked up Honey Lemon Soda 3, Ima Koi 7 and Like a Butterfly 2 this week.  I wanted the new Fly Me to the Moon, but both bookstores don't have it in stock.  They also don't have Horimiya 11.

Sometimes I think I should stop buying manga because it seems I never have time to read it, but I think it's more of an issue of telling myself it's okay to make time to read it instead of not actually finding time.  I also want to read it when I'm relaxed and not stressed out.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 16, 2023, 01:11:03 PM »
If it makes you feel better, I have something like 3 volumes of yona, 5 of spy family and maybe 6 of Moriarty to read. Plus I'm wanting to sit down and reread the end of Daiya, from the point the anime ends, which is about ten or twelve volumes or so I think...? (peers at pile). Now I have it completed.

I'm not sure if I've finished all of Horimiya either, come to think of it...

I keep meaning to catch up with Yona then get distracted by other things ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 23, 2023, 11:26:25 AM »
That does make me feel better Taffeta. :hug: 

I bought a few more books today. The bookstore finally got Fly Me to the Moon 19 in stock.  :)  I also picked up Insomniacs After School 3, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible 9 and Haikyuu 24.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 10, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »
I picked up the 2nd volume of the Miraculous manga over the weekend and Komi 27 today.   I'll be getting Spy Family 10 when it comes out too.

I've been expecting it for a while, but today I found out that Viz has increased the standard price of their books.  Most Viz books were $10.  Komi's list price is $12.  I bought my copy for $10 at Walmart.  I think the last Komi book was $8 at Walmart.  Spy Family 10 will also have a list price of $12.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 25, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »
Stumbled onto some yona spoilers today...

Spoiler
They're not especially good...and yet I am fascinated *lol*

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 03:35:32 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal