collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 92951 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #525 on: September 06, 2022, 01:01:38 AM »
Omg lovely shleves LBS! ;3; eep, I spy Gakuen Alice <3

It frustrates me that for so many of the series we have, the last volume didn't get translated, or the printing gets cancelled... so they don't exist in English.  So the collection will be forever incomplete...

Ohh we have some like that too :( Hibiki's Magic is one, only 2 volumes exist in English, out of... 5? I don't remembe,r but I also had a hard time finding fanlations of it. Sad, because it's a very cute manga.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #526 on: September 06, 2022, 04:36:50 AM »
I genuinely started learning Japanese because back in 2007 the Fushigi Yuugi gaiden novels were not translated into English, and there were a few fan translations but not the one I really wanted to read. There were German versions but nothing in English. I started learning Japanese then.

...Fastforward to 2022. They're still not translated into English. I have read them, though :) I obviously ended up doing Japanese more seriously for lots more reasons than just reading Yuugi novels - but the fact that it was quicker to learn Japanese than wait for a translation kind of highlights the gaps in some of these series, even really popular ones like that.

One of my favourite manga series from the late 1990s-early 2000s is entirely in Japanese. There aren't any scanlations. The only part of the material that exists in fan English translation is the OVA which is frankly not very good and misses 90% of the important things about the characters, let alone the overall plot. This series was really popular in Japan, inspired figures, a band, singles, music CDs, drama CDs, novels, and manga. All of which I have and none of which are translated into any language other than Japanese, even 20 years on.

It's so very sad to me that these are so unknown. I made a website about the series maybe 12 years ago and I think it's still up, as I get emails sometimes asking me if I have the songs for this series - which I do, but don't intend on sharing music online. It's just so hard even for people who can read the manga to access it.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 10, 2022, 07:07:41 PM »
I've only flicked through yona 36 and 37, so I have the broad strokes but not all the details.

Last week was yet another week off with Daiya, I am guessing that the writer may be under a lot of stress and needing more time - or he might just want a holiday.

I have a feeling that the next chapter may be pivotal to the whole story.

Why do I have the feeling that when the Daiya manga starts again there might suddenly be a rainstorm or something else to prolong the story even further?  I think it's officially been a year now since the game started?   

I'm a Koi, Now I'm in Love 3 was released. I need to pick that one up.  I also need to move some of the books on my manga shelf around to make room for the new titles.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 11, 2022, 05:38:04 AM »
I got The Other World's Books Rely on the Bean-Counter Vol.2 and enjoying it! The dynamic is hilarious and I get the workaholic trying to be persuaded to ... not be, and the irritation between the leads makes it funny. Dr. Cico is ADOREABLE, I have a huge soft spot for characters with his design.

I'm not normally a fan of hetero-romance manga but Happy Marriage Vol.1 caught my eye and I might have to order it, as I like the premise.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2022, 05:24:28 AM »
I've only flicked through yona 36 and 37, so I have the broad strokes but not all the details.

Last week was yet another week off with Daiya, I am guessing that the writer may be under a lot of stress and needing more time - or he might just want a holiday.

I have a feeling that the next chapter may be pivotal to the whole story.

Why do I have the feeling that when the Daiya manga starts again there might suddenly be a rainstorm or something else to prolong the story even further?  I think it's officially been a year now since the game started?   

I'm a Koi, Now I'm in Love 3 was released. I need to pick that one up.  I also need to move some of the books on my manga shelf around to make room for the new titles.

Ponyfan

Oh, you mentioned that rainstorm tongue in cheek, but you know, delaying tactics are brutal.
Spoiler
Last week's chapter was entirely a time out, with a messenger sent from the bench. THE WHOLE CHAPTER HAD NO GAME ACTION WHATSOEVER. Bear in mind that was the first chapter after a 2 week break and a cliffhanger. GRRR! xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2022, 06:04:50 AM »

Oh, you mentioned that rainstorm tongue in cheek, but you know, delaying tactics are brutal.
Spoiler
Last week's chapter was entirely a time out, with a messenger sent from the bench. THE WHOLE CHAPTER HAD NO GAME ACTION WHATSOEVER. Bear in mind that was the first chapter after a 2 week break and a cliffhanger. GRRR! xD.

Spoiler
I was hoping I was wrong but given how many delays we've seen and how many times the game hasn't been progressing, I can't say I'm surprised there's a time out.

You mentioned that Eijun might be injured.  Does the time out have anything to do with that?

I checked the English version, and it's up to

Spoiler
The Fall tournament semifinal game between Seidou and Seiko.

It looks Horimiya 5 is out of print for a while. :(  Every place I've checked so far is out of stock.  Hopefully it will be reprinted soon.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:24:10 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »
I like the first half of Horimiya a lot better than the second.

Spoiler
part of it is his hair, but that's a side issue.

The real main reason why is that
Spoiler
I got a bit fed up with Hori's negative relationship with her Dad and how physical everything got that way.

On Daiya...

Actual spoilers in spoiler tags.

Spoiler
The last chapter, the messenger was Nori, so it was actually quite a nice touch. I've just got shredded nerves by this time.

I only really skimmed it but I don't think it was to do with Eijun's bad fingers although
Spoiler
his pitches were problematic leading up to the time out and
Spoiler
he allowed both Mei and Itsuki on base.

As for this week...
Spoiler
Another cliffhanger.
If you want to know what happened, click the below spoiler tag...
Spoiler
I mean seriously, the real spoiler is coming up...
Spoiler
Yabe hit the ball, Furuya caught it, Furuya sent a rocket ball to the plate, Mei was trying to get to the home plate, Miyuki caught the ball and...we find out next week whether Mei is in or out.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 16, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »
Daiya

Spoiler
All of that is worrying me a bit as it seems all signs are pointing to Eijun being injured.  I'm hoping that it's just another one of those things that builds the tension but ends up being nothing in the long run.

Now that I think about it, I think Eijun's the only pitcher that hasn't suffered an injury this whole time.  I know he had yips and that affected his pitching, but it's not the same as Furuya hurting his shoulder and ankle and Nori's fingers becoming numb from a pitch during a game.   I will be sad if Eijun is hurt so close to end.  He's come so far from his early character.

Also, Mei better be out.

I bought Ima Koi, Now I'm in Love 3, Fly Me to the Moon 6, and Haikyuu 9 today. 

I rearranged my manga shelves.  It's not a major reorganization, but it's a little different.

Here are some pics.

Yona 37 comes out sooner than I thought in the US.  I'm going to wait to get it before I read 36 and 37. :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:35:28 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 17, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »
Daiya.

Spoiler
Believe me, I agree Mei had better be out.

On Eijun, I think you're right. He's had psychological injuries but not physical ones. I think his fingers might be like Nori's, though. The impression I got was that he had used so much force in his pitching vs Yamaoka et al that they were suffering a bit. So I don't suppose it would be a longer term injury, just that his fingers need to get through this game. Terajima giving us reason to nailbite again, basically. Too easy for Eijun to come in and hold everything with nobody on base.

Even if Mei is out, Itsuki is still active I think, and I imagine will end up on third while Mei's heading to the plate. So it's not like everything will be done and dusted. There may yet be another nailbiting home plate call even if Mei is dismissed.

Your manga looks pretty:D I probably need to catch up with Yona manga volumes as well. I'm going to wait till the Daiya game ends though, before I order any more manga.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 17, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
Beautiful shelf! I'll get the courage to post mine one day  :lol:

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2022, 10:03:46 AM »
Not to be repetitive, but again with Daiya.

Real spoilers within.

Spoiler
I'm currently trying to work out whether
Spoiler
the game just ended or not. I know that should be obvious, but the way the pitches are, I'm really not 100% at the moment. Sigh. 

But...
Spoiler
Mei was definitely out at home plate.

Also...
Spoiler
Reading it over, I think it ended...but I guess we'll see next week if it did. The umpire certainly hasn't called it yet, but it does look very final and general conversation in the fandom seems to be that it's done and over with.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:47:59 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 21, 2022, 07:21:47 PM »
Not to be repetitive, but again with Daiya.

Real spoilers within.

Spoiler
I'm currently trying to work out whether
Spoiler
the game just ended or not. I know that should be obvious, but the way the pitches are, I'm really not 100% at the moment. Sigh. 

But...
Spoiler
Mei was definitely out at home plate.

Also...
Spoiler
Reading it over, I think it ended...but I guess we'll see next week if it did. The umpire certainly hasn't called it yet, but it does look very final and general conversation in the fandom seems to be that it's done and over with.

Daiya

Spoiler
I'm glad that Eijun's injury (if he is injured) isn't too serious and it's just temporary like Nori's.

If the game ended with Mei being out, has Seidou won? 

Thanks for the compliments on my manga shelf.  :)  I love having so much manga out in one place where I don't have to rotate books as much. I might move some of the books on the bottom shelf to make more room after the next volume of Komi and Yona come out.  I keep saying I won't buy more  Haikyuu until I get further in the anime, but I keep buying them.  I will not buy all of the volumes though unless I really want to after finishing the anime.

I need to get started on some of the series I haven't read yet.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:23:49 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2022, 12:50:54 AM »
Daiya:

Uberspoilers in this tag
Spoiler
The game didn't end with Mei being out, but if the game did end,
Spoiler
yes, Seidou won.

The general view in the fandom is that it's the end and the game is done. I think so too, rereading it multiple times, but the umpire has not called it yet and I'm so wary because this mangaka is such a naughty person when it comes to putting in cliffhangers.

Basically what happened was...
Spoiler
The last chapter ended with Furuya's bullet throw to Miyuki, which he caught in time to get Mei out. Mei acknowledged the back home throw was so good that he couldn't really complain about it. Itsuki was on first base and moved up to second during this time. The third batter, Jinguuji, came up to the plate. Eijun did some thinking about how he wanted to step up to the next level too, beyond this game. Miyuki's like, let's go there, together then. And then it looks like he strikes the guy out. I never take it for granted until the umpire calls it.

Something I can also say outside of spoilers, but it amuses me how some teams have 'themes' in the names of the characters. Inajitsu is a good example. Shirakawa is a place in Kyoto. Jinguuji is in Osaka. Tadano (Itsuki) is in Fukushima. Yabe is also a place name I think. I'm not sure Narumiya is a place name, but a Miya is a shrine, and so, technically, is a 'jinguu'. Yamaoka probably isn't a place name specifically, but the name is made up of 'mountain' and 'hill', which is also sort of in the theme. It just amuses me.

I should be checking out whether Ugumori's characters have names relating to the sengoku or Nobunaga, since in their game against Inajitsu and I think against Seidou, they were throwing out Nobunaga quotes and comparing their games to Nobunaga's battle victories...

Haikyuu does this too iirc. I certainly know that Ushiwaka is a not so subtle nod to Yoshitsune, not least because there's a comment about his teammate being 'Benkei', Yoshitsune's right hand man.

There's probably quite a lot of Haikyuu manga, even if it's not quite as old/long as Daiya. They've managed to squeeze multiple anime series out of it, albeit I think season 1 and season 3 are only about 10 episodes each.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 24, 2022, 12:34:05 PM »
Daiya:

Uberspoilers in this tag
Spoiler
The game didn't end with Mei being out, but if the game did end,
Spoiler
yes, Seidou won.

The general view in the fandom is that it's the end and the game is done. I think so too, rereading it multiple times, but the umpire has not called it yet and I'm so wary because this mangaka is such a naughty person when it comes to putting in cliffhangers.

Basically what happened was...
Spoiler
The last chapter ended with Furuya's bullet throw to Miyuki, which he caught in time to get Mei out. Mei acknowledged the back home throw was so good that he couldn't really complain about it. Itsuki was on first base and moved up to second during this time. The third batter, Jinguuji, came up to the plate. Eijun did some thinking about how he wanted to step up to the next level too, beyond this game. Miyuki's like, let's go there, together then. And then it looks like he strikes the guy out. I never take it for granted until the umpire calls it.

Something I can also say outside of spoilers, but it amuses me how some teams have 'themes' in the names of the characters. Inajitsu is a good example. Shirakawa is a place in Kyoto. Jinguuji is in Osaka. Tadano (Itsuki) is in Fukushima. Yabe is also a place name I think. I'm not sure Narumiya is a place name, but a Miya is a shrine, and so, technically, is a 'jinguu'. Yamaoka probably isn't a place name specifically, but the name is made up of 'mountain' and 'hill', which is also sort of in the theme. It just amuses me.

I should be checking out whether Ugumori's characters have names relating to the sengoku or Nobunaga, since in their game against Inajitsu and I think against Seidou, they were throwing out Nobunaga quotes and comparing their games to Nobunaga's battle victories...

Haikyuu does this too iirc. I certainly know that Ushiwaka is a not so subtle nod to Yoshitsune, not least because there's a comment about his teammate being 'Benkei', Yoshitsune's right hand man.

There's probably quite a lot of Haikyuu manga, even if it's not quite as old/long as Daiya. They've managed to squeeze multiple anime series out of it, albeit I think season 1 and season 3 are only about 10 episodes each.

Daiya

Spoiler
I hope it's confirmed that Seidou won the game in the next chapter.  That is the outcome I've been hoping for since the game started so long ago. :D

Do you think that Eijun wanting to go to the next level might hint at him going pro after he graduates?   

I don't really want the series to continue once Miyuki and the rest of his classmates graduate from Seidou. It would be nice if it ends with them winning and celebrating especially if Chris and the rest of his year mates join them. :D

I don't mind spoilers for this game. I'd rather know how it ends in case we get another season of anime.   

That's really interesting about the place names.  I think a lot of those details are lost if you don't understand the context behind it and I love learning all of those things. :)

I think Haikyuu has 44 or 45 volumes.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 25, 2022, 12:28:08 AM »
Daiya...
Spoiler
The more I read it, the more I think it's done. The momentum and the pitching - it's a bit more clearcut than I first though, though it's not been announced. I'm also going by Jinguuji's expression. Do you remember that scene in the Yakushi final where in the anime there was no dialogue and they put it to music? The manga also had no dialogue for those scenes, and while Eijun's is not quite as complete as that, it does feel like that kind of moment.

I have always felt like Daiya is really the story of Eijun and Miyuki's battery and the wider Seidou team. I agree with you about Eijun thinking on potentially going pro, because while he's reflecting on everything, he remembers Miyuki asking Furuya whether *he* has ever thought about it. Plus I remember right back at the *very* start, he narrates something about it being the beginning of his journey...which maybe suggests something more?

I have a lot of other things I'd like to say about Inajitsu and Seidou in general but I'm going to wait until the game is confirmed.

Hm, so Haikyuu is basically as long as Act I, almost.

Edit to add:
Daiya:
Spoiler
Final confirmation as of today's new chapter...
Spoiler
Seidou have won :)
This chapter was really very cool, and surprisingly, it was a great chapter for Mei and Itsuki as well as it was for Eijun, Miyuki and the rest. I've come to be fond of Mei, which I didn't expect to happen given how mad I was with him and his team over the previous summer final.

Daiya is now on hiatus till Oct 12th. I discovered there's only one volume currently out that I am missing atm, I'm going to wait a little while because I'm sure there must be another one coming shortly. The latest volume I think is Act II vol 31, and it has Shirakawa on the front.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:03:30 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal