collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »
I find a lot of these sites are run by those radical "occupy" types who would love nothing better than corporations to collapse and a return to a more agrarian type of society.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »
I saw get ponies for your kid. Hundreds of thousands of children play with them. That's a really slim chance of something happening to yours

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
Hahah wow it would help if I noticed the small print, wouldn't it???  I believed your story  :blush: because I saw a man who could swallow and regurgitate pool balls on a talent show... phew!  :whew:

---

Glanced around the raisingnaturalkids link, very interesting.  I know this isn't really the most important thing, but I'd have a realllly hard time explaining to my future kids why they couldn't have this toy or that toy they really wanted..  :unsure:

-Em

No problem, you've just inspired me to make my Tall Tales Thread in the off-topic forum. That oughta keep my imagination in check.

I agree with you about explaining it to the kids. I'd feel so awful denying a kid, any kid, a toy they had at the top of their Christmas wish list or begged for as a birthday present. I know how sucky not getting "that one toy" year after year is. You can explain health risks to a kid until you're blue in the face, but they'll never fully understand, especially if Bobby next door got a ton of toys from Santa and they didn't. :(

Betelgeuse

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
In other words, plastic is naturally NOT toxic?
Plastic's made of oil. Burning and refining that kills wildlife and the atmosphere. Plastic is the least worry of it. In fact, I'd rather see it in plastic than in the atmosphere. As long as you and your kids don't chew on the ponies or hold them to your nose and sniff for long periods of time, you should be alright.

Offline jwalraven

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
As long as you and your kids don't chew on the ponies or hold them to your nose and sniff for long periods of time, you should be alright.

Tonight's top story: Children's new high is huffing toy ponies.

BerryPunch

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
As long as you and your kids don't chew on the ponies or hold them to your nose and sniff for long periods of time, you should be alright.

Tonight's top story: Children's new high is huffing toy ponies.
Oh my!
 ;)

Offline Pangel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »
To the person who buys organic food - you do realise that the reason it is organic is because they spray the stuff with chemicals that aren't tested? They're actually worse for you... Organic food is a hilarious modern-day rip off praying on people's conscience.

Other than that, I have nothing more to add. This thread is just making me angry.
Whole toy collection for sale! Selling 100's of items! G1 My Little Ponies, G1 Littlest Pet Shops, Sylvanian Families - EVERYTHING MUST GO!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Panda Patch eBay store <- Click here! ;)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
To the person who buys organic food - you do realise that the reason it is organic is because they spray the stuff with chemicals that aren't tested? They're actually worse for you... Organic food is a hilarious modern-day rip off praying on people's conscience.

Other than that, I have nothing more to add. This thread is just making me angry.

Organics crack me up. As a farm girl, I know all about both sides, pests and pesticides, illnesses, treatments and immunisations. To be honest, I'd rather have the chemicals.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Pangel

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »

Organics crack me up. As a farm girl, I know all about both sides, pests and pesticides, illnesses, treatments and immunisations. To be honest, I'd rather have the chemicals.

Howdy farm girl! ;) I think providing you wash the stuff before you eat it, that's as good as it'll get. But yeah, no rip-off 'organic' food for me XD
Whole toy collection for sale! Selling 100's of items! G1 My Little Ponies, G1 Littlest Pet Shops, Sylvanian Families - EVERYTHING MUST GO!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 02:36:38 AM »
Very interesting topic! I actively try to minimize toxins in my environment (for example, I mix almost all my cosmetics and hygiene products myself from scratch), but I haven't thought about them being in my plastic toys. I avoid keeping food and drink in plastic containers, but I guess it might be a risk to just hold or be around such plastics.

Have you heard back from Hasbro about it yet? Depending on what they say, perhaps if enough people email them about it, they could take steps to make their toys safer and less toxic?

It saddens me to see so many people shrug this off. Yes, you can't go through life being all paranoid and avoiding anything that makes you happy - but toxins in our environment is a huuuge issue which is just recently starting to get enough attention. Think about all of the health problems people in western societies have. If many stem, at least partially, from this issue, don't you think it's wise to take some interest in it and do something about it?

I appreciate your comment.  I have been trying to minimize the toxins around my family as well.  I actually do all sorts of things like eating organic food, being really picky with the soaps and cosmetics I use, and trying to use less plastic to store food in and so on.  I'm just concerned that ponies apparently have phthalates coming out of them and I am unhappy to learn that they have PVC additives in them because the process of making PVC releases dioxin into our environment which is bad for all of us.

Something that I want to figure out here would be... are vintage ponies more safe for kids to play with because they may have off gassed or something like that?  Or maybe they were made with out PVC additives? 

Also, I need to decide if I should buy more of the current Friendship is Magic My Little Ponies new from the store.  A big part of why I was buying them was so my daughter could play with them.

I haven't herd anything back from Hasbro yet. 

I know that there are toxins all around us, but I don't think there's anything wrong with minimizing our contact with them.  Also, I think it's fair to be concerned that there are toxins in the toys we give to our children.

If anyone else is feeling the same concern that I am, then maybe you can write to Hasbro about your concerns as well.

So far I'm defiantly feeling uncomfortable with fakies, because many of them are obviously lower quality than MLP and I think it's more likely that their manufacturers are cutting corners with production.

Edit:  I just wanted to add that some plastics are less toxic than others, like #2 food grade plastic is supposed to be less toxic than #3 PVC... so I'm not really saying that all plastics are evil here.  I think some are better than others.  This is why TY started using PE pellets in their beanie babies instead of PVC pellets.

About the vintage vs. new ponies question: I just want to add that I (and I'm sure many others) clean our vintage ponies with way more dangerous chemicals than that are inside the ponies plastic to begin with.
I've been scrubbing close to 500 ponies over the last few weeks with medical gasoline and universal cleaning sprays to make them nice and shiny again.
And I'm pretty certin those chemicals are way worse for my health than the plastic in the ponies are. Now I'm not gonna go around and stuff my ponies in my mouth so I'm feeling safe anyway, but to give them to a kid who might end up putting them in their mouth with those substances on them wouldn't be the best idea.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
Best.Thread.In.AGES!
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »

LOL!  My dad majored in Agriculture and Entemology, grew up on a farm, and worked his whole life with chemicals, and he says the same exact thing!

As for the original topic concern:  Every single thing we have on the face of this planet - whether altered by human hands through science or not - all comes from our Mother Earth.  Sure, there are some things that can be fatal - just as there are deadly poisonous snakes.  But you don't stop hiking or camping because you *might* get bit by a snake.   AND, Back in the 1800's, before all these things were around, people also generally lived MUCH shorter lives... ;)

So, I'm keeping my ponies!

*Licks her Baby Moondancer's PVC goodness*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:12:27 AM by Stormy31685 »

Offline Pangel

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2012, 05:28:15 AM »
Just bought some quarantine tape to put around my pony room :D

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »
I would take my sources from any website that ends in .gov or .edu over a mom blog. Also while buying organic may a ripoff, buying local food at a farmers market is better for you because it traveled less and wasn't exposed to so many pollutants and also you're helping a local seller. It also far cheaper!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Jypsy

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:40 AM »
I would take my sources from any website that ends in .gov or .edu over a mom blog. Also while buying organic may a ripoff, buying local food at a farmers market is better for you because it traveled less and wasn't exposed to so many pollutants and also you're helping a local seller. It also far cheaper!
Even though we are starting to veer off topic, I support farmer's market shopping whenever possible or knowing where your veggies come from. A couple of the supermarkets nearby buy from local farmers to save on shipping costs and support the local growers, so it is always nice to see various regional farms show up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal